Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a Thundershirt

• 15-09-2012 12:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

With the fireworks season starting, my little girl has started to get very stressed, shaking and panting for an hour or two after hearing bangers go off. Last year I used the likes of Calm-eze and Rescue Remedies with her, but they weren't great, and the fireworks seem more prevalent in the place I have moved to.
    She got into a bad state today after a couple of fireworks were set off nearby so, with another few weeks of this to go, I went to the pet shop and bought a Thundershirt.
    She had it on for a couple of hours this evening, and was fine, but it's too early to tell if it will be effective yet. Anyway, I'm wondering about how best to use it - should I put it on her each afternoon/evening before the fireworks start or should I wait until they start to put it on her?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd be inclined to have it on her in the lead up, and not wait until she's already stressed before you use it. It's easier to prevent stress than to lower it!
    Get her into a routine starting soon, every evening (presumably when the fireworks are at their worst? But amend as appropriate!), of putting her to bed with a stuffed Kong or other interactive toy. If she likes a crate, make it really plush and comfy and cover it with thick, noise-absorbing blankets or quilts, and keep the tv or radio on pretty loud to drown out the fireworks.
    I'd also back this all up with an Adaptil (DAP) diffuser beside her bed. And have the thundershirt on her too.
    Good luck, it's a pain in the butt, this Halloween business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It would be absolutely fantastic if we only had the bangers/fireworks on Halloween night instead of bangers going off every bloody day. In my area its been primary school aged children letting them off in the afternoon, every day this week.

If the parents took some responsibility it wouldn't be so bad. Its the parents who give them the bloody things or the money to get the bloody things. One went off at the back of the house this week and one of my cats was petrified. I'd rather there weren't any bangers/fireworks at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It would be absolutely fantastic if we only had the bangers/fireworks on Halloween night instead of bangers going off every bloody day. In my area its been primary school aged children letting them off in the afternoon, every day this week.

If the parents took some responsibility it wouldn't be so bad. Its the parents who give them the bloody things or the money to get the bloody things. One went off at the back of the house this week and one of my cats was petrified. I'd rather there weren't any bangers/fireworks at all.

What amazes me is that the bloody things are not cheap, by any stretch of the imagination. Where do the kids get the money? Where do the parents get the money in these straitened times?:confused:
    What's more, how can they afford to be able to let the things off a full 6 weeks before Halloween? I can understand saving up to buy fireworks, but wouldn't you think they'd stash them for the night itself? And why, WHY do they let fireworks off in broad daylight? Surely it somewhat defeats the purpose, you can barely see the damn things, and the price of them!!:mad:
    And, they're illegal! Someone in a position of guardianship in the kids' life has broken the law to get the fireworks. It all beggars belief. I HATE the damn things :mad:
    So much so that I think this is my first ever post where I've used this fella ---> :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Ugh they started early today, before I got the shirt on...I guess it's a bit more predictable on weekdays when the kids get out of school at set times. Three went off in a row a couple of hours ago and there have been some further away as well. We had none yesterday though. Anyway, I put the shirt on as soon as they went off - she had started shaking but stopped quite soon after the shirt went on, and there was no panting. She's quite happy now. That said, it's early days so I'll see how we go as the season kicks in. I've heard great things about DAP diffusers so will look into that as well.
    With the fireworks being quite sporadic at the moment, I'm probably looking at having the shirt on her for a few hours every day as it's a bit early to predict a pattern yet. There may be no more for another few hours...then again there could be a load of them in the next 10 minutes. Is there any limit as to how long it can be left on her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP take a look online -amazon, vetuk, petmeds, nutrecare etc - you'll get the DAP much cheaper than you get it here! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I'd be really interested in trying one of these for my dog. Where in Dublin would I get one - I'd rather buy in a shop than online. Thanks

I'd be really interested in trying one of these for my dog. Where in Dublin would I get one - I'd rather buy in a shop than online. Thanks

I got ours in Maxi Zoo and I've also seen them in Pet Mania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

How much are if ye dont mind me asking :) xx.I have a VERY nervous greyhound here who had a bad life up untill june,but has a long way to go.Think one of the shirts may help

Think ours was about €40 for L or XL - you can get them cheaper online but I needed mine in a hurry - my dog had finished crate rest after an operation and was in danger of hurting his leg on walks because he was so afraid of the traffic. They come with a money back guarantee btw which is why I decided to try one - it worked thank god and I've used it for other training as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 skylers279

have heard great things about these, am thinking of getting one for my dog, anything to help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Cheapest place to buy them in Ireland is at my local vets I think - Moy Vets in Ballina, Co. mayo. They will post them out to people as well. not sure if I'm allowed to put their phone number up, so if anyone would like it, please pm me and I'll let you have it, or you can just google it of course :) I think they sell them for about €27.

Advertisement