Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Significant figures on banknotes:

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

If Ireland could print significant figures on notes just like we print our own symbols on coins, whom would you pick?

€5 - Michael Collins
    €10 - James Joyce
    €20 - Daniel O'Connell
    €50 - Douglas Hyde
    €100 - Charles Stuart Parnell
    €200 - Jim Larkin
    €500 - John Hume

Very strange combination there.

If anything Gerry Adams would be the Michael Collins of his time.

Both went from militant republicanism to sacrificing principles in the name of pragmatism.

John Hume on the other hand had much the same ideology and strategy in 1998 as he did in the late sixties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

My choice, personally are politically neutral figures who have made a contribution to modern Ireland.

It would also need to be a gender neutral series. 3 men, 3 women, but on the highest note however, possibly going against the secular trend and purely for artistic purposes St Brigid and St Patrick in parallel (jugate) portrait alongside each other (500). This is NOT issued, but the design 'shown' for future use purposes and kept in reserve in anticipation of inflation. Typically like most countries, its a boring, non divisive, conservative choice. One of the selections is still alive(Maureen O'Hara), but Sir Edmund Hillary was on the Kiwi 5 when it was issued. Its a cultural thing, most who go on currency tend to be dead a considerable while unless they are Royalty or Dictators.

Also, anyone who has appeared before, does not appear again. That rules out W.B Yeats (Series B 20) Jonathan Swift (Series B 10), James Joyce (Series C 10), Parnell (series C 100), Daniel O'Connell (Series C 20), and Douglas Hyde (Series C 50).

Religious figures are out.

Women: 5 Maeve Binchy (writer), 20 Maureen O'Hara (actress), 100 Veronia Guerin (journalist/activist)
    Men: 10 Patrick Kavanagh (Poet), 50 Michael Cusack (founder of GAA) 200 Sean O Riada (Composer and musician)

Lady Lavery gets retained as both a Hologram foil and watermark, although now that the forgers have managed to replicate the hologram foil type features, I'd start looking at a plastic see through feature. I'd be against going for Australian style plastic. Colour wise....follow the basic colours used on the first (1928) series of Pounds, and stick with that. That was each alternate denomination alternated between warm and cool.

Size wise, I'd go slightly bigger than Euro. The fiver is too small to handle, looks undignified and puny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

dermo88 wrote: »
    My choice, personally are politically neutral figures who have made a contribution to modern Ireland.

It would also need to be a gender neutral series. 3 men, 3 women, but on the highest note however, possibly going against the secular trend and purely for artistic purposes St Brigid and St Patrick in parallel (jugate) portrait alongside each other (500). This is NOT issued, but the design 'shown' for future use purposes and kept in reserve in anticipation of inflation

Also, anyone who has appeared before, does not appear again. That rules out W.B Yeats (Series B 20) Jonathan Swift (Series B 10), James Joyce (Series C 10), Parnell (series C 100), Daniel O'Connell (Series C 20), and Douglas Hyde (Series C 50).

Religious figures are out.

Women: 5 Maeve Binchy (writer), 20 Maureen O'Hara (actress), 100 Veronia Guerin (journalist/activist)
    Men: 10 Patrick Kavanagh (Poet), 50 Michael Cusack (founder of GAA) 200 Sean O Riada (Composer and musician)

I was going to question you on your choice of "poet" then realised I was thinking of Richie Kavanagh :D

None of these people are big enough to have as representatives of our country! Are these the best we can do??

Also we have to rule our Gerry Adams since everyone would think it was a fake:
    http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/moloney/photos/banknote/banknote1r.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Father Ted would have to be on one of them

Advertisement