Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing exam on computer?

• 15-09-2012 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Alright, I have difficulties writing, my writing is rather messy even when I'm writing a single word, but once I've written about a page and a half, my writing becomes illegible. Due to this, I was allowed do my Junior Cert on a computer.
    Anyway, when I got my results, it said for English "All parts of the examination in this subject were assessed except spelling and written punctuation elements", I'm not entirely sure about the "written punctuation elements", due to the word "written", I'm guessing that's perfectly fine.
    But my problem is the spelling, I know for a fact spell check was off on the computer, and I have no problems when it comes to spelling, I'm pretty sure spelling is my strongest skill when it comes to English.
    Anyway, I still got a B in higher level, so, I'm not concerned with appealing that or anything. I just want to know, does anyone know if doing an exam on a computer and having an exemption from spelling go hand in hand? I feel I probably lost quite a few marks due to this, since everything else was marked harsher, I'm just wondering if it was a mistake on the part of someone, or you must get an exemption from spelling if you're using a computer.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You don't generally get permission to do your exam on computer because of bad handwriting, otherwise thousands would be doing so.
    Do you have dyspraxia?

Whatever the grounds on which you got to use the computer is usually the reason given in the supplemental report. It might be possible that they have a one size fits all supplemental report in the case of writing which includes the spelling waiver automatically.

If you can in anyway do some classes to improve your handwriting, I would advise you to do some. If there is no underlying disability poor penmanship is very easy to rectify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

There was one girl in my year who did her exam on a computer because of really bad handwriting and it seems to be a bit hit and miss. Another girl whose writing was as bad if not worse did not get a computer (or didn't ask for one, either or).

I don't think they mark the rest of your paper harsher if you have a spelling waiver however in my own opinion, I would make a big effort to fix your writing. Literally start from the beginning and relearn how to write properly.
    http://www.handwritingworksheets.com/

I ended up doing this in the middle of sixth year because the way I was writing made my hand hurt and I was slow. Having a computer isn't necessarily a good thing for exams. In languages, you spend half your time trying to add in accents and in science and maths messing with graph drawing programs can be very hard. Also if you're studying by writing by hand, its going to be difficult to transfer that knowledge over to a computer

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Hi, I had a spelling and grammar exemption for Junior Cert and used a laptop for my exams. I have dyspraxia.

Your spelling might not be that bad, mine wasn't either but I think spelling and grammar exemptions are easier to get in Jc. I didn't get a spelling or grammar exemption for leaving cert and I got an A2 in HL English.

In no way would having the spelling and grammar exemption make you lose marks or make the examiner mark your paper harder. Your grade could actually increase because even people with perfect spelling and grammar make mistakes in the exam because of the time constraints and with the exemption, they don't count against you. If your spelling and grammar were perfect then you would not have lost any marks anyway.

Just because you used a computer for your exams doesn't entitle you to get a spelling and grammar exemption. You may remember doing certain tests when you were assessed to use a computer e.g. a spelling test. The results of these probably showed that a spelling and grammar waiver would be beneficial to you. Ps. don't worry about it saying "written,” that's just how it's phrased.

Advertisement