Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTL: Faster Than Light

Options
  • 15-09-2012 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Am I the only one playing this? Unlocked earlier today(or I should say yesterday at this late hour) and I'm sort of hooked, but man do I suck. But thats kind of the point.

Kept a "Captains Log"
    Journey 1 - Sector 1 - Score 141
    Journey 2 - Sector 2 - Score 356
    Journey 3 - Sector 2 - Score 587
    Journey 4 - Sector 3 - Score 815
    Journey 5 - Sector 2 - Score 443
    Journey 6 - Sector 3 - Score 518
    Journey 7 - Sector 4 - Score 1023

As you can see, I need some tips. Anyone got any? Last attempt I got my shields up to 2 early enough, but then ran into an enemy with a tri laser and ran out of missiles. By by me.

So, am I alone?
    ED-E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Bought it last night too, great little game.

I managed to get a score of 3963 and died on the finale, twice!

The way i worked it was in the kestrel, the first shop i came across i sold the artemis missile system and bought an ion burst cannon. When you individually target shields with the ion and burst cannon weapons system they cant do anything back to you in early levels, just watch out for asteroid fields/solar flares and boarders. The rest paid for itself.

Nifty game, well worth the 9quid :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Been tracking this games progress for some time, so between it & Black Mesa out, that's the weekend gone :D Picked it up this morning and looking forward to giving it a spin

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Really didn't know what to expect from this. Played it around 8:00 last night, next thing it was 3 a.m.

Fantastic game. Actually reminds me of Rogue a lot. It has that same difficulty and randomness.

Oh, and "Easy" difficulty mode my ass :)

Best 9 euro or whatever I've spent this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

Beentracking it since Kickstarter - picked it up from GOG last night.

Fun little game - first run through all my crew died to boarders in Sector 2.

If it wasn't for sleep and work would be playing it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Maximilian wrote: »
    Oh, and "Easy" difficulty mode my ass :)

This is a good point, have people been using easy? I've only done normals.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Easy seems to equate to less brutal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I want this.
    But...

Max Payne.
    Dust 516
    Mechwarrior
    DayZ
    Black Mesa
    Witcher 1&2
    All the STALKER games + mods

/firstWorldProblems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Had my eye on this since I first heard of it, great little game. I spent about 8 hours on it yesterday and finally managed to defeat the rebels with only one hull point left and most of my crew dead... and that was on easy.

Looking forward to unlocking more ship types. I've got the Engi torus and the Federation cruiser at the moment with the Engi one seemingly the best starter. The cruiser has some sort of special weapon but I've no idea how to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Watched TB's WTF is FTL and want it so badly now! If i couldn't trade one soon for my Torchlight1 i'll just get one directly!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yikes but this game is as tough as nails. I've lost so many ships & crew-members from utterly random occurrences, yet the frustration is offset by the desire to just have one more go :D Love the inship mechanics and the frantic juggling of (often onfire) systems as your ass is pounded by a rebel ship. Love putting out fires or repelling borders by opening the airlocks hehe.

My one complaint is that the chasing Rebels make it all feel like a rush.

• Advertisement

The Gnome wrote: »

Looking forward to unlocking more ship types. I've got the Engi torus and the Federation cruiser at the moment with the Engi one seemingly the best starter. The cruiser has some sort of special weapon but I've no idea how to use it.

Have the engi too, but dont like it. Why'd you think its the best starter?

The ion gun and drone combo seems to make short work of nearly everything, with it's 4 second reload it's handy to swap between enemy shields and weapons while your drone goes to town. The medical nanobots aren't too bad either.

Just came out of a normal playthrough there, had the engi cruiser with 2 ion guns and two ianti-ship drones and once I got the shields to level 3 I was fairly unstoppable... until I met the Slugs and their god damned system disabler and boarding drone combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Distraught at the loss of his closest friends, and trusted officers Captain Picard Makes his way to the nearest airlock to greet the void as the ship burns.

The door controls take a hit & go offline.

Picard burns to death.

Fire & mantis boarding parties have been killing me more than anything else.

The mantis are right c#nts.

Improved blast doors sort them right out, worth it if you're stuck travelling through Mantis controlled space.

I made the mistake of not getting level 3 blast doors. They cut right through the level 2 ones in seconds. Been getting 4 of the bastards at once.

Lost a crew member early, down to two, still pushed on to sector three, double shields and a nice new cannon. Then the police boarding crew of four hit, boom. No more me. That was with level 2 doors, level three will be early on my list this time.

Just started "journey 10". Update: Just lost another crew member in sector 1. FFS, never letting them go off ship ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If your crew die can you get more?

Bought it but only had time to play for about 10 mins.

danthefan wrote: »
    If your crew die can you get more?

Bought it but only had time to play for about 10 mins.

Yes. You sometimes pick some up free(said events can also take one, so be careful) or you can hire new ones at shops.

Just killed the flagship there this morning. Bloody hell it's a tough fight. If you have the wrong combination of weapons the fight is impossible to win.

Only scraped through it, survived with 3 hull points, half the ship pressurised with hull breaches, half on fire.

It's a pain in the arse if you have missiles and no bombs, makes the fight more or less impossible to win.

• Advertisement

Anyone else find it impossible to suffocate intruders? I can vent fires, and my own lads, but boarders of any race take no damage when I open the blast doors to the great unknown.

I've definitely suffocated intruders, rebels seem to die the quickest, rocks the slowest I think.

The Gnome wrote: »
    I've definitely suffocated intruders, rebels seem to die the quickest, rocks the slowest I think.

Last play though it worked. Hmmm. Also, Fire beam or w/e its called is a godsend. Knock their shields down then wahey, everything is on fire.

ED E wrote: »
    Last play though it worked. Hmmm. Also, Fire beam or w/e its called is a godsend. Knock their shields down then wahey, everything is on fire.

Yeah, the Fire beam is great especially if you have Boarding drones. The enemy crew don't know what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The game needs a "Ramming Speed!" button for when you're about to die, but want to go out with a bang.

I'm loving this at the moment. But am always completely destroyed by the rebel mothership at the end. I haven't been able to make the slightest dent in the shields.

I wonder what plans the developers have for the game. Hopefully they won't just leave it as is and will expand on some of it's features.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

HELL YES down to hell you evil rebel flagship boss!!!! and that was in easy mode lol

this game is so good. zalton ship layout B ftw <3

btw i really think going easy mode to unlock those ships is the way to play game. normal mode too hard Q_Q

picture of my weapons/crews/upgrades if anyone was interested, abit of spoiler in it:

I've hit the git twice but never have any hull left for the third round.

Really need to get a defence drone for those missiles.

-***SPOILERS***-

The rebel flagships weapons are separate from the rest of the crew. If you use a boarding party, or bombs to destroy them they can't be repaired. Take out the missile launcher, and then the ion cannon.

If you're able to kill all the crew in phase one apart from the guy on the right manning the beam weapon it makes the fight so much easier.

If the crew is dead in phase one, then in phase 2 and 3 you'll be able to use boarding parties to destroy the shields & drone control from within with no opposition.

Just make sure not to kill the guy on the beam weapon, or the ship turns AI in phase 1 and auto repairs all systems.

Edit: Derp! didn't even think to add a spoiler tag. My bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Spoiler!

• Advertisement

It seems the modders have already found a way to disable the rebel fleet. Once I've beaten the game I'll have to give that a shot.

Advertisement