Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTL: Faster Than Light

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I just want a mod that has an audiofile of Cpt Picard going "Red Alert, shields up!" everytime you get into a battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    I just want a mod that has an audiofile of Cpt Picard going "Red Alert, shields up!" everytime you get into a battle.

You need to be able to rename all crew that come onboard too, not just the ones at the start. I sent spock to die in the engine room during the last battle... seemed fitting.

Man I'd really love an elite/x3 style game with this kind of ship and crew control.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Great game...but wtf? Was going really well on my 3rd playthrough, and then half my crew just died for no reason at the start of a fight. Only got hit once and it didn't do any damage to my hull :mad: Really annoying.

Nm, im an idiot and didn't close my outer doors after a fire.

Bloody hell though, it can be a tough game at times. Normal is pretty damn hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just made an attempt on the boss.

Config:
    Ion Blaster
    Burst Laser
    Fire Beam

Anti Ship Drone
    Defence Drone

Couldnt damage the git this time. Fought, jumped, fought, jumped, shopped, jumped and gave up and opened the air locks.

Needed boarding drones, but never got any. I suppose a crew teleporter woulad have done, had plenty of cash.

• Advertisement

I think the unidentified cruiser is the secret to killing the boss on normal mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

*Looks at clock* Well that's addictive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I find I die usually around the stage 5/6 mark - how are you guys staying alive so long, and managing to kit out your ships with so much?

pixelburp wrote: »
    I find I die usually around the stage 5/6 mark - how are you guys staying alive so long, and managing to kit out your ships with so much?

I think it's a lot down to luck. Had a few runs last night, and when i managed to find a few extra crew members, and a decent weapon/drone, then it wasn't too bad. But i got to stage 4 with only 2 crew members and no decent drops. Got easily killed. The last stage is a total bitch though. Was doing really well up to then, and was getting hammered during the last stage.

It's a great game, if a little short. Would be nice for some variations on the events that can occur too. For less then a tenner, it's great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

pixelburp wrote: »
    As Kiith says, it's mostly blind luck. I've gotten to the end with a next to no upgrades and two crew left (and got destroyed at the final boss) and I've had a ship nearly fully kitted out with loads of crew and got blown away long before I got near the end.

I've decided that I was never meant to finish this game, so am just trying to see what interesting ways I have to die and making up little stories about them to keep myself amused.

• Advertisement

SPOILERS!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZVvjXpc5QQ&feature=youtu.be
    Me vs the boss, as mentioned above.

Regarding generally dying/not getting to eight, few things:
    • Be aggressive in 1 and 2, you should be able to win against all scouts, so make some cash. If you see a fighter bomber sheild up and jump
    • Skim around just in front of the fleet, hitting as many points as possible, earning is important
    • As Kestrel target weapons with everything, as Engi(Torus) go for those sheilds
    • Always attack slavers
    • Never take the crazy guy on the planet all alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Christ that was good!
    Only had a lunch time to play it, took 3 plays to get past my second encounter in Sector 1 but I think I'm getting the hang of it. On to Sector 2 now. Might go back and try it on Easy though if all goes badly.

For those starting out, when they say that a Nebula will disrupt your sensors, they mean inside the ship as well as outside! Thought I was doing really well despite solar flares and close battle with a vicious pirate, then wandered in to the engine room to figure out why my Jump wasn't coming online, found that 80% of the ship was on fire... Then my "open door" policy - which was great for recruitment and putting fires out - backfired spectacularly.

Really hope they expand on this with the ability to run different types of mission (exploration, trade, passenger runs, bountyhunting etc), explore the galaxy in peace (or at least in war but on your own terms :) ) and maybe even "away team" style ground/station/ship exploration...

humanji wrote: »
    As Kiith says, it's mostly blind luck. I've gotten to the end with a next to no upgrades and two crew left (and got destroyed at the final boss) and I've had a ship nearly fully kitted out with loads of crew and got blown away long before I got near the end.

I've decided that I was never meant to finish this game, so am just trying to see what interesting ways I have to die and making up little stories about them to keep myself amused.

If you treat it as a series of random fights you'll nearly always be destroyed. I'm able to make it to the final boss and destroy it more or less every time now after playing on easy for a while. Just takes a little planning in advance.

Had a good run in the Engi ship last night. Got to the last stage, but stupidily jumped too far away and didn't get to fight the mothership. Dad manage to unlock the Stealth and Zoltan cruisers though. Will try it in the Zoltan ship tonight.

Finally won on easy last night with the b version of Kestral. I think before this one I never had a idea what I wanted to do with the ship and ust added things because they were available but this time she was streamlined. Everything on the ship was critical to the success :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Finished it on easy with the Kestrel too, Ion cannon to the shields, burst MkII to weaken it and then a Glaive to cleave through sections of the ship with and a MkII drone for extra pewpew. Have to say Drones are dead handy, must try the Engi ship sometime.

Ah I went very streamlined! 2 Blast mk 2s and 2 basic ones, full cloaking, stealth guns, improved weapon cooling thingy. Then just upped my shields,engines and blast doors to max. I was hitting most things with a volley of 8 lasers twice before they could respond usually taking shields and weapons down and then just cleaning up.

Just teleported my slug back on board from a airless ship with 1hp remaining, Y SO SLOW SCOTTY? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

Really enjoying this game. Soundtrack is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Damn you all! Bloody hooked.

I'd been playing normal for the past two days & switched to easy last night. Now I dunno if I just got a good run, but there's a huge difference between easy & normal.

Bloody great games though.

• Advertisement

Beat that SoB last night, couldnt stop till I did.

fHUvx.png

Not bad for 9 dolla. Will get some more time out of it too unlocking the rest, trying to beat normal. It'll be interesting to see what, if any, content the devs add in updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

http://benprunty.bandcamp.com/album/ftl

If you have not bought that yet you are missing out, some of the best tracks in a game n a good long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

God that final boss just keeps kicking my ass, how do you fight the drone swarm?

VinLieger wrote: »
    God that final boss just keeps kicking my ass, how do you fight the drone swarm?

Short bursts of cloak.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

ahhh this game. Brutal hard but just great. Im playing on easy too!.
    played about 4-6 hours so far and really liking it. I can be Picard for once! //shameless Treky fanboy.

I played just there tonight and the first 2 or 3 planets i get great geat, get to thinkign Yeah i am tanked up ! then bam lethal laser beam toting / rocket firing Elite cruiser takes me out cause I thought I could just make that last planet before exiting.. sadly not.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

This game is impossible. How do you pick from different ships? I only have one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Grimebox wrote: »

You unlock them for doing different things, the Engi cruiser is unlocked if you reach Sector 5, the Federation cruiser is unlocked for defeating the Rebels, the Stealth cruiser is unlocked for completing a quest at the Engi Homeworlds etc.

Take a look at the FTL forums for a guide. Some of the ships are a bit obscure to unlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I actually bothered to do the tutorial since I found it so hard. I didn't know you could open and close doors to help deal with fire

• Advertisement

I actually bothered to do the tutorial since I found it so hard. I didn't know you could open and close doors to help deal with fire

And boarders!

Advertisement