Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTL: Faster Than Light

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

ED E wrote: »
    And boarders!

n5025f396ada91.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Grimebox wrote: »
    I actually bothered to do the tutorial since I found it so hard. I didn't know you could open and close doors to help deal with fire

You can also use the open all doors, close all doors buttons to equalize o2. So you can stop suffocation if you have a hull breach by opening everything... but your o2 drops fast unless you have an upgraded generator.

There is a lot more to this game than I initially thought. I'm still making some very stupid mistakes. I tried to go down the route of boarding enemy ships. First try, I sent one invader onto to their ship and destroyed it killing him at the same time. Second attempt I transported two mantis on to a ship without any oxygen. Both of them suffocated. I am not a smart man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

The game has an incredible amount of depth for something so simple. I'm looking forward to expansions/ mods to flesh it out.

Oh my god I've done it again. I had a nice boarding crew made of a rockman and a mantis. Rockman would tank damage and mantis would do its double damage. I boarded a weak ship but forgot we were in an asteroid field.... the ship was blown to pieces along with my pirates

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Getting closer anyway: I survived & managed to beat the 2nd assault on the flagship, barely. The only problem was that its missiles and boarders had resulted in many hull breaches, a destroyed engine & O2 systems; so while the flagship flew off defeated, my already-injured crew couldn't repair everything in time & slowly died :( And my kestrel was practically maxed out in shields/ guns too.

I have really playing this all wrong. I was rushing to the end of each sector rather than maximising collection of resources. No wonder I found it so hard

Has this happened to anyone else? I ran into a dead end when travelling along so I had to backtrack into parts that were already taken over by rebels. I survived 3 attacks from them but died on the 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Has this happened to anyone else? I ran into a dead end when travelling along so I had to backtrack into parts that were already taken over by rebels. I survived 3 attacks from them but died on the 4th

Hasnt happened to me yet but i was aware it could, youve gotta be careful when planning your sectors

VinLieger wrote: »
    Hasnt happened to me yet but i was aware it could, youve gotta be careful when planning your sectors

I usually plan my route to maximise the amounts of places I can visit. When I had to turn around I was instantly in enemy territory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bought this on Saturday and before I knew it, it was 4am.

On my first run through, my only way to sector 8 was to choose between two rebel-controlled systems, and I got my ass kicked. Took the Engi cruiser out for my next run and didn't really understand the ion cannon at the start, so the first few fights took longer than planned and I lost some hull points. Managed to get to fight the mothership on the third run, but I was hopelessly outgunned.

I seem to spend most of my scrap hauls on fixing the ship and upgrading the ship systems. I seem to have very little cash for buying crew, weapons or systems. In that regard it seems to be mostly luck (or maybe strategy in visiting as many planets as possible). I've a game saved at the moment where the ship is fully loaded with weapons and drones, never had a ship so strong, but all of these upgrades I acquired by chance rather than buying them. Or maybe you need to be cleverer in offering assistance and not just attacking everything that moves :D

I'm guessing that when you manage to unlock better ships, you can get time and resources to upgrade shields to level 4, etc.

Also found the boarding drone to be awesome. The scrap haul is far bigger when you kill the crew rather than destroy the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

seamus wrote: »
    Also found the boarding drone to be awesome. The scrap haul is far bigger when you kill the crew rather than destroy the ship.

Didnt know that, hmmmm.

Also a tip suffocating boarders: Open the airlock doors and shut down your O2 systems. O2 levels in the exposed sections then seem to drop much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Also a tip suffocating boarders: Open the airlock doors and shut down your O2 systems. O2 levels in the exposed sections then seem to drop much quicker.

..and make sure to send all your chaps to the medic bay when doing this. then close the doors around the medic bay and they should at least stay alive and not lose O2.

Als i recent killed an enemy ship by suffocating them. I was Engi ship and just kept firing the ion disabler weapon at their O2 supply i was soo chuffed it worked as I didnt have and drone parts and had no more offensie weapons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Screw boarding drones: by pure chance I received an 'anti Bio' beam from one of my battles - no affect on shields or the hull, but direct damage to crew-members in its path. So I upgraded my camera system to see into enemy ships & now once their shields are down, after a few sweeps of this bad boy I get 'abandoned' ships to rummage around for extra scrap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Bought this last night after seeing all the feedback here.

Great little game. So simple but I can see hours being lost to it..

pixelburp wrote: »
    Screw boarding drones: by pure chance I received an 'anti Bio' beam from one of my battles - no affect on shields or the hull, but direct damage to crew-members in its path. So I upgraded my camera system to see into enemy ships & now once their shields are down, after a few sweeps of this bad boy I get 'abandoned' ships to rummage around for extra scrap :D

Had no idea such a thing existed, now i want one :)

platinums wrote: »
    ..and make sure to send all your chaps to the medic bay when doing this. then close the doors around the medic bay and they should at least stay alive and not lose O2.
    Well there should be more than enough O2 in the rest of the ship to keep your guys alive while they man the key systems. If nothing else, removing the O2 weakens the boarders, so even if they don't suffocate, by the time they break through the doors into occupied sections, you can close all doors, O2 back on and then your own crew picks them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Well there should be more than enough O2 in the rest of the ship to keep your guys alive while they man the key systems. If nothing else, removing the O2 weakens the boarders, so even if they don't suffocate, by the time they break through the doors into occupied sections, you can close all doors, O2 back on and then your own crew picks them off.

Had a run last night where I only had 1 guy on my crew for about 3 sectors (he survived a couple 6man crew holocausts, mostly on 1-10hp). I upgraded door shields to max, then vented everything but the oxygen room, medbay and the pilots cabin. Got boarded a bunch of times but I'd only lose a couple systems before they suffocated, then re-pressurise the ship and fix everything and go on. It was a very tense game.

Nichololas wrote: »
    Had a run last night where I only had 1 guy on my crew for about 3 sectors (he survived a couple 6man crew holocausts, mostly on 1-10hp). I upgraded door shields to max, then vented everything but the oxygen room, medbay and the pilots cabin. Got boarded a bunch of times but I'd only lose a couple systems before they suffocated, then re-pressurise the ship and fix everything and go on. It was a very tense game.

Surely your ship would get destroyed so quick without shields

• Advertisement

Surely your ship would get destroyed so quick without shields

Crew members only enhance shield recharge, you dont have to have someone manning them for them to work

VinLieger wrote: »
    Crew members only enhance shield recharge, you dont have to have someone manning them for them to work

So they recharge on their own without a crew member?

So they recharge on their own without a crew member?

Yup same as weapons and engines dont require crew members they just make them more efficient

I guess there you're really hoping that they don't manage to disable your weapons or shields before you get a chance to destroy them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If i don't have between 3-5 crew members after the first few zones, i tend to restart. It gets almost impossible with a limited crew, as i tend not to purchase the defensive upgrades till much later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Nooooooo, never restart!!!

Some of the best games I've had are the ones where I'm in a late sector with damn all hull, and one or two poor souls desperately trying to hold the ship together.

I mean, isn't that the whole point of the game??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Oh i'm all for fighting losing battles, but there are times when i just know that there's no chance of me even getting to the last stage, and i go with a restart. Or when my Zoltan Cruiser gets boarded by 3-4 Rockmen.

**** you Rockmen! :pac:

Kiith wrote: »
    Oh i'm all for fighting losing battles, but there are times when i just know that there's no chance of me even getting to the last stage, and i go with a restart. Or when my Zoltan Cruiser gets boarded by 3-4 Rockmen.

**** you Rockmen! :pac:

Still i never restart, if it comes to that i always go out fighting, Picard would have never lain down and isnt that how we all see ourselves when playing this?

I have only restarted in the first sector when I got extremely unlucky.

I imagine myself as this fella to be honest

CPP_2006_captians_itch.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I was going to say Kirk, but Grimebox - you legend - you nailed it there. I'm completely Zap!

Advertisement