Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTL: Faster Than Light

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

excellent stuff, great little game this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I hope that it give you the option to hit multiple enemy rooms, like the cheating mother f(£*&@!g AI

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Better get my ass into gear and beat this before it gets even harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Better get my ass into gear and beat this before it gets even harder.

I still haven't beat it on easy :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Grimebox wrote: »
    I still haven't beat it on easy :(

Nor I. Been so close a few times too :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I cheated by copying the save out before the last level. I know it is against the spirit of things but I was getting bored of the gameplay and wanted to see what finishing it was like, and I didn't want to spend several hours each time just to earn one chance. Only took two or three more as I had a good setup. I don't feel bad about it, I've never been a 'purist' in any sense, number one priority is what I think is most fun for me. For the same reason I will look up a walkthrough for a game the second I feel frustrated by my inability to move forward - usually it is because of some stupid, counter-intuitive mechanic like sticking two unrelated objects together or following logic that only makes sense to the guy designing the game.

Anyway so this is a good game and releasing free content is a nice move. Do I recall correctly that they have no intentions of making a sequel?

Zillah wrote: »
    I cheated by copying the save out before the last level. I know it is against the spirit of things but I was getting bored of the gameplay and wanted to see what finishing it was like, and I didn't want to spend several hours each time just to earn one chance. Only took two or three more as I had a good setup. I don't feel bad about it, I've never been a 'purist' in any sense, number one priority is what I think is most fun for me. For the same reason I will look up a walkthrough for a game the second I feel frustrated by my inability to move forward - usually it is because of some stupid, counter-intuitive mechanic like sticking two unrelated objects together or following logic that only makes sense to the guy designing the game.

Anyway so this is a good game and releasing free content is a nice move. Do I recall correctly that they have no intentions of making a sequel?

I agree with you. I will be doing this on my next run. Figuring out the end boss through trial and error is incredibly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I agree with you. I will be doing this on my next run. Figuring out the end boss through trial and error is incredibly frustrating.

I stopped playing after I had some really crappy spawns twice midway through. The random side of things can be a real pain sometimes especially without saves.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've beaten it on easy, but can't beat the final boss on normal. It really depends on the drops / events you get in the first few sectors, as if you're on the backfoot by sector 3, you can pretty much kiss your ass goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Kiith wrote: »
    I've beaten it on easy, but can't beat the final boss on normal. It really depends on the drops / events you get in the first few sectors, as if you're on the backfoot by sector 3, you can pretty much kiss your ass goodbye.

I played on normal for sooo long and couldn't really get to grips with it, eventually dropped it to easy and got on much better. Personally I feel calling it "easy" is a little sardonic on the developers part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

sarumite wrote: »
    I played on normal for sooo long and couldn't really get to grips with it, eventually dropped it to easy and got on much better. Personally I feel calling it "easy" is a little sardonic on the developers part.

The should be renamed as Playable and Not Playable

Some more details about what we'll be getting in the Advanced Edition. They seem to be adding loads, which for a free update is fantastic.
    • Lanius Ship: New player ship with its own achievements and alternate layout.
    • Type C Ship Layouts: 8 of the original ships will have a third layout that capitalizes on the new content. With the Lanius ship, that makes for a total of ten new starting ship designs.
    • Backup Battery Subsystem: Subsystem that can provide temporary reactor power in a pinch.
    • New Drones: Expanded drone options includes: the Shield Drone that generates a green super shield for your ship, the Anti-Combat Drone that shoots down enemy combat drones, and the Ion Intruder that blasts into the enemy ship and randomly ionizes systems while stunning and distracting crew.
    • Gameplay Refinements: Doors and Sensors can be manned to increase effectiveness; you can now rename crew mid-game; each race has a small variety of colors which allows for easier visual recognition;
    • And more to come: We’re still balancing and polishing the features that are being added. Be sure to keep an eye out for additional content announcements!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/12/20/ftl-advanced-editions-new-race-detailed-alongside-other-enhancements/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Bumping again. Less than a week to go.

https://twitter.com/FTLgame/status/449299009157361664

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Jet Black wrote: »
    Bumping again. Less than a week to go.

https://twitter.com/FTLgame/status/449299009157361664

Have to say am looking forward to this.
    Not so sure about the cloning bays, but am looking eager to try out some of the new UI elements like return to station.

Don't know if anyone else has posted it, but there was a vid posted yesterday on Polygon with an interview with the devlopers showing some of the new stuff
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/27/5555334/ftl-advanced-edition-ipad-port-release-date-pc-mac-linux

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

FTL Advanced now available. Interested to try the new stuff. Still don't think I'll be able to finish a game on "normal".

B*llocks... I had things to do today!

I think i'll try it on hard tonight.

Hah, yeah right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Gave it a shot there, really shouldn't have reinstalled it given how much college work I should be doing but had to give it a go.

The additions to the UI are very welcome, it's much easier to control now and the ability press a button to have all the crew go back to their designated stations is a great time saver. Far more hot keys - almost feels like it could play like a RTS (multiplayer would be pretty fun actually).

Mind control currently is the system i'm most looking forward to messing around with, it's fun and seems like it could be pretty damn useful - it's a pain in the ass when the opposing ships have it.

I played the first go on easy (I used to generally be able to finish it 90% of the time on that difficulty) but lost to the flagship on the third stage, which was surprising as I normally find that to be the easiest.The flagship is now harder in that stage, its use of one of the new systems there really messed me up and caused me to panic. However, I didn't get the best loadout ever so it might have been a combination of my inability to cause damage too quickly coupled with the panic caused by the new system.

I feel they did seem to make the drones in the second stage a little less relentless (or maybe it's just me), which was welcome as that one used to be basically make or break. If they did rebalance it, it's for the better.

New music is great to hear even if a lot of the tunes seem to be remixes of the (admittedly brilliant) original tunes.

I'm looking forward to having a go on hard sometime and constantly restarting it until i manage to get 3 really good encounters in the first world!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

FTL Advanced Edition sound track is available for listening and download here.

Been having a go on easy, almost didn't make it out of the first sector due to the new planet based batteries when the fleet catches up to you. Recovered though, am close to sector 8 now.

Haven't really ran into too much trouble with the new systems yet. The Ion stunner is a nice addition, taking down the shields and stunning everyone for 5 seconds is pretty helpful.

Cleared it there on easy with the Kestral B. Easy enough, as i found a Vulcan Chain laser cannon, which gradually fires faster as the fight goes on. Unbelievably handy for the boss fight.

Also, some of the new music is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Decided to give hard a go not even expecting to make it out of the first system. Died in the 4th. Probably would have made it further if I wasn't in an astroid field with enemies on my ship. I still couldn't afford any upgrades that far in so there must be an element of luck to get further.

Has anyone tried the mind control option? I tend to just stick with massive firepower, with a cloak for defense, but i might try something different tonight. Drones and mind control maybe. Or go for an away team style boarding run.

I love this game.

Still can't beat the last boss on easy

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Kiith wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the mind control option?

I love this game.

I've used the mind control option tips:
    It's excellent for countering enemy mind control as well as controlling them since you can mind control a mind controlled person to change them back to normal.

Mixed with hacking it's amazing... send a hack drone in on the sheild room to lock it down, control the guy in the room hilarity ensues.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

The developer/s a legend for releasing so much content and reworking some of the existing content for free. They could release a game next where you tap a button and a counter goes up and I'll gladly pay whatever price they stick on it just because of the free content, I would have gladly paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Flak weapons are awesome. well version 1 is - version 2 seems to take an age to power up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Still can't beat the last boss on easy

Your first mistake is calling it 'easy'. I prefer to refer to it as 'hard' and 'brutally hard'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

sarumite wrote: »
    Your first mistake is calling it 'easy'. I prefer to refer to it as 'hard' and 'brutally hard'.

I go with 'Maybe Possible' and 'Nope'.

My build was pretty weak and I ran out of rockets for the third engagement. All I had was burst laser 1 and the ion repeater. It wasn't taking down the shields

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Managed to finish it on easy.

Spoilered for those that want to experience the boss blind:
    The first boss now has a hacking module, which can wreak havoc on your plans if it hits the "wrong" system. It made killing the crew much harder.

It seems like the second phase of the boss has not changed at all really, which, after the harder first boss, made it seem a little easier.

Interestingly, the third boss now has mind control, so after getting his super shield down, the next step I usually do is take out the missile launcher, except now I've got a guy running my ship damaging things. Usually the damage that they do is less than what they can repair in mind control down time, so I stuck to the normal plan.

Advertisement