Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

patio concrete stainer

Options
  • 15-09-2012 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Just got small wall built but its totally wrong color-slate grey,whereas existing patio is a much lighter grey-looks all wrong! Have Googled and there are staining products for concrete so was thinking of staining patio. It recommends gettin professional to do though. Anyone any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

seefin wrote: »
    Just got small wall built but its totally wrong color-slate grey,whereas existing patio is a much lighter grey-looks all wrong! Have Googled and there are staining products for concrete so was thinking of staining patio. It recommends gettin professional to do though. Anyone any experience of this?
    Just curious, but why do you think the stain will be the correct colour that you arr trying to achieve.
    Id leave it and let it weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

rje66 wrote: »
    Just curious, but why do you think the stain will be the correct colour that you arr trying to achieve.

I hadn't even considered that! Would the darker slate grey lighten over time so? Would it take years and years to fade? (I'm totally ignorant when comes to practical stuff! ).in meantime maybe can grow trailing plants over wall and pretty much hide it-its ridiculous looking at moment.
    I contacted place I bought the stone from yesterday as they offer acid staining service-are due to call out to give price but might cancel now.
    also considered white washing but might leave well alone now

I hadn't even considered that! Would the darker slate grey lighten over time so? Would it take years and years to fade? (I'm totally ignorant when comes to practical stuff! ).in meantime maybe can grow trailing plants over wall and pretty much hide it-its ridiculous looking at moment.
    I contacted place I bought the stone from yesterday as they offer acid staining service-are due to call out to give price but might cancel now.
    also considered white washing but might leave well alone now

A pic would be great.
    Wouldnt bother with acid staining, you have no idea what you will end up ....except a bill.
    plants such as osteospermum, aubretia, geraniums and many more would cover a small wall in no time and look much nicer.

The patio needs a good scrubbing but you can still make out that its pretty light grey.the wall is only stone cladding and need to grow trailing plants anyway to cover the joins( sorry didn't build proper stone wall but that's another story!). Wall is east facing by the way

Both of these products,paving and wall, are concrete that is dyed grey. Wouldnt waste time or money trying to get then to be a match as i doubt you will ever achieve it. best solution , get soil in bed level with top of wall and plant the suggested plants and this time next year youll be on the road to being a great gardener:):):):):). cost of plants less than €20.

oh and a good power wash will help too

• Advertisement

Both of these products,paving and wall, are concrete that is dyed grey. Wouldnt waste time or money trying to get then to be a match as i doubt you will ever achieve it. best solution , get soil in bed level with top of wall and plant the suggested plants and this time next year youll be on the road to being a great gardener:):):):):). cost of plants less than €20.

oh and a good power wash will help too

Hmmm seeing as I've killed every plant so far this year I've a long way to go before even being an amateur gardener! Thanks, you've prob saved me 100s of euros, will plant Aubretia and geraniums-fingers crossed dogs don't trample them! Thanks a mill for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I find that when jobs are just finished my eye is very keen and picks up every little thing, and it bugs to me to hell. After a couple of weeks you don't even notice. Those look like nice materials. With some planting in there the eye will be drawn to them and the materials will weather and be more of a backdrop. Give it some time and see how you you feel about it before spending money to rectify something that isn't that bad.

Advertisement