Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland V Liverpool 15th September KO 5:30pm (ESPN)

• 15-09-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭

YErdz.jpg

TEAM NEWS

Sunderland have a doubt over Adam Johnson, who missed England's World Cup qualifiers with a thigh injury.
    Full-back Danny Rose could make his Black Cats debut, while midfielder David Vaughan may figure after playing 45 minutes for Wales against Serbia.
    Left-back Jose Enrique is Liverpool's main concern and will have his knee injury assessed ahead of the game.
    But midfielder Joe Allen has recovered from the illness which disrupted his international involvement this week.
    MATCH PREVIEW

After an incredibly emotional week for Liverpool as a city and a football club, Brendan Rodgers says he feels even greater pride at being their manager.
    Rodgers is vying to record a first league victory at the fourth attempt. He goes head-to-head with fellow Irishman Martin O'Neill, who will be equally desperate for three points in Sunderland's first home game of the Premier League season, having last tasted victory back in March.
    Only three games into the campaign, Rodgers has already had to deal with frustrations on and off the pitch. Whilst he has witnessed costly individual errors from players and the well-documented issues of the transfer window, one of his bigger tests is to manage expectation.
    His challenge of re-shaping the club is a massive one. Liverpool have finished seventh, sixth and eighth in the last three seasons and were 17 points adrift of Champions League qualification last season - the furthest they have ever been away. It won't be a quick fix, but a first win on Saturday would be very timely with Manchester United visiting Anfield next weekend.

Like Liverpool last season, Sunderland have had to contend with the hindrance of a lack of goals, a theme that has existed ever since they sold Darren Bent. You could therefore fully understand the smile on Martin O'Neill's face when Steven Fletcher scored twice on his debut in the draw at Swansea.
    The arrival of the striker from Wolves, and Adam Johnson from Manchester City, were badly needed and have raised hopes again on Wearside for a team that has scored just five goals in their last nine league matches.
    The Stadium of Light will be looking forward to their home league debuts for a fixture Liverpool have struggled with in recent years, including a 1-0 reverse in March. But as the focus falls back on football, an away win would feel particularly poignant.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
    Liverpool have won four of their last six visits to the Stadium of Light - but have lost two of their last three.
    The losing team has failed to score a goal in the last six fixtures between the two sides at the Stadium of Light.
    Sunderland
    The Black Cats are without a win in their last 10 Premier League games - their worst run since November 2009-February 2010 when they were winless for 14 matches.
    Sunderland have not won their first home game of the season in any of the previous four years.
    Steven Fletcher goes into the game on a run of four goals from his last four Premier League matches.
    Liverpool
    Liverpool have made their worst start to a season in 50 years. In 1962-63, Bill Shankly's newly-promoted team won their fourth game of the campaign 4-1 against Manchester City and went on to finish eighth.
    If they lose against Sunderland it will be their worst start to a season since 1903-04 when they lost all four of their opening games. That season they finished 17th in the old Division One and were relegated.
    The Reds have not failed to win one of their first four league games of a campaign since 1911-12.

Kick-off: 17.30 BST
    TV: Live ESPN, Highlights, BBC1 Match of the Day.

Referee: Martin Atkinson (Matches 3, R0 Y13).

Betting: Home 11-5, Away 5-4, Draw 23-10.

Sunderland (Confirmed, 4-4-2): SAFC: Mignolet, Rose, Cattermole ©, Larsson, Gardner, Colback, O'Shea, McClean, Cuellar, Fletcher, Sessegnon.

Subs: Campbell, Kilgallon, Ji, Meyler, Bramble, Westwood, Saha

Liverpool (Confirmed, 4-3-3): Reina; Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Kelly; Allen, Shelvey, Gerrard; Borini, Suarez, Sterling.
    Subs: Jones, Enrique, Sahin, Assaidi, Henderson, Downing, Carragher

131ZAl.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I know it's a cliché but there's no way Liverpool will lose today, not after all that happened this week.

Gonna go for 4-2 victory for Liverpool, Borini and Sterling to get off the mark. Fletcher to get a few at the other end, Gerrard to be motm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No lose. Expecting quite the show and a comfortable win by a couple of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

2-0 to Sunderland.

Reina with a howler and Fletcher with the other one, to spark loads of we should have signed him posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

If we dont win today, these threads have to stop! Luckycharm me arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

2-1 Sunderland. I think they'll edge us with home advantage. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

By the way didn't someone post the team in the main thread based on the bibs they were wearing? Suggests it will be Kelly rather than Enrique (so Johnson at LB) and Shelvey in for Sahin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

If Liverpool don't win today it will be the first time in 101 years that they've failed to win one of their first four league games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No lose. Expecting quite the show and a comfortable win by a couple of goals.

I see what you're doing!

Agreed! Easy win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

I like kelly as a cb not a full back hes too big and gangly for it. Dont like the thoughts of mcclean running at him down the wing. Hopefully a liverpool win anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Im hoping to god for a win, would a settle for a simple Cuellar own goal and for us to keep a clean sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have the beach ball ready!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think Liverpool will miss loads of chances and the odd goal will settle it.

Kinda hard to predict what Liverpool will do beyond that.

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    If Liverpool don't win today it will be the first time in 101 years that they've failed to win one of their first four league games

Good job a manager is judged on how he addresses the media after games and not on results.:pac:

noodler wrote: »
    I see what you're doing!

Agreed! Easy win!

I'm not doing anything. Genuinely think we could be playing Barca in the Nou Camp and we'd win given the week that's in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Melion wrote: »
    I know it's a cliché but there's no way Liverpool will lose today, not after all that happened this week.

Gonna go for 4-2 victory for Liverpool, Borini and Sterling to get off the mark. Fletcher to get a few at the other end, Gerrard to be motm

Seem to remember the week of the 50th anniversary of Munich that United played pretty poorly and Ferguson said the occasion got to them. Was it a draw with City at home or something like that.

I think Rodgers will try find the balance between emotion and keeping the heads but it's only human for every LFC player to try harder today and sometimes you can try too hard. Sunderland are no mugs either.

Seem to remember the week of the 50th anniversary of Munich that United played pretty poorly and Ferguson said the occasion got to them. Was it a draw with City at home or something like that.

I think Rodgers will try find the balance between emotion and keeping the heads but it's only human for every LFC player to try harder today and sometimes you can try too hard. Sunderland are no mugs either.

Ya lost 2-1 in end.

This destiny thing is fail win or lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm not doing anything. Genuinely think we could be playing Barca in the Nou Camp and we'd win given the week that's in it.

Ah, wasn't thinking about that.

Hopefully it doesn't act as a weight on their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Sunderland messageboard rife with rumours Johnson will be sitting this one out.

It will probably be Danny Rose LB, Larsson RW and Colback CM

Possibility too of O'Neill keeping Colback at LB and starting Meyler in CM, who he has been bigging up a lot recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Im going for reverse psychology here.

Sunderland 4 - 0 Liverpool

Fletcher with two, Reina own goal, Skrtel own goal.

Surely they can't happen now.

Seriously, Sunderland will be smashed into itty bitty pieces.

• Advertisement

McClean will score today after his social media outbursts, written in the stars. The commentator will be delighted to shout straight the cliche after the goal: "he has been involved in a lot of controversy this week, but now he has done his talking on the pitch....." :pac:

For someone who is known as a fairly logical and rational thinker (I know you play poker) I don't understand this argument at all.

How is the release of the document suddenly going to make us a better football team? Sure the fans will be in full voice (although we're away so the effect of this won't be quite as great) and the layers will feel an added responsibility to win and will be fired-up, but that's not really the problem.

As Rodgers stated, we need to improve technically and the release of a document isn't going to suddenly improve our passing or make Suarez finish his chances.

Our main failings this year have been bloopers at the back, lack of penetration in the final third and poor finishing up front. How is a document going to remedy these problems?

We might well win today by the way, I think it's close to call. But the Hillsborough document won't give us some magic superpowers, some element that we were missing before. We're still the same team.

And we would most definitely be beaten comfortably if we were to travel to Camp Nou this weekend.

I fear this might be the most quoted post in the thread by 'neutrals' today.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

First home league game of the season, should be a cracking atmosphere, home debuts for new signings, Liverpool struggling. Everything is set up for us to do well today, which in true Sunderland style means Liverpool won't lose this. If Johnson is out that's a huge blow.

1-2 Liverpool.

Paully D wrote: »
    First home league game of the season, should be a cracking atmosphere, home debuts for new signings, Liverpool struggling. Everything is set up for us to do well today, which in true Sunderland style means Liverpool won't lose this. If Johnson is out that's a huge blow.

1-2 Liverpool.

What did you make of MON comments during the week on McClean/Twitter?

Thought he was spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Have the beach ball ready!

I hope its on holidays :D

121y3ps.gif

Morzadec, morale and a sense of purpose are very powerful things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What did you make of MON comments during the week on McClean/Twitter?

Thought he was spot on.

Yeah I thought he was spot on too. I'm glad McClean has O'Neill to mentor him, probably one of the best he could have in terms of getting him to cut the shit.

Morzadec, morale and a sense of purpose are very powerful things.

These guys are pros they should have a sense of purpose anyway.

Perhaps it'll gee them up a bit, sure, but it can't have any effect on the technical ability of the team.

I hope you're right anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Morzadec wrote: »
    For someone who is known as a fairly logical and rational thinker (I know you play poker) I don't understand this argument at all.

LL hasn't been very logical for some months now. He runs on pure emotion.

Subject to the line ups being confirmed I'll go for a hideous draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Score draw at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

just have to see LFC lifting at some stage...

today is a great chance..against a team who have potential to become a bogey team...

line is drawn in the sand...cliché's galore...

LFC to win...

but i wouldnt put it in an accumulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

3-0 Sunderland. Bollockless performance from Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Clever

Setting yourself up to downplay any victory and rip a defeat to shreds.

As I said - clever.

Playing in front of an Anfield crowd today would be an almost guaranteed 3 points. Away from home is a different story

Clever

As I said - clever.

Playing in front of an Anfield crowd today would be an almost guaranteed 3 points. Away from home is a different story

I don't think Lloyd is either clever enough or sad enough to be thinking like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Liverpool to miss bucket loads of chances.

Sunderland to win.

Serious calls for both manager and owners to be removed of their positions.

Gonna be a great day for neutrals and wums.

Liverpool have to win to kickstart the season.

Rodgers needs a win to avoid very uncomfortable pressure early on in his career.

Clever

As I said - clever.

:rolleyes:

I genuinely believe we'll roll today. Just because it's today. I still think we have major, major issues but today we will put the opposition (and it could be any opposition) to the sword.

jenno86 wrote: »
    If we dont win today, these threads have to stop! Luckycharm me arse!

the threads will stop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

:rolleyes:

I genuinely believe we'll roll today. Just because it's today. I still think we have major, major issues but today we will put the opposition (and it could be any opposition) to the sword.

No-one could ever underestimate the importance and emotion involved with this week.

But it doesn't automatically give us a divine right to win today.

This is still going to be a very nervous 90mins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

A win would be nice today but I wont hold my breath.

Yakult wrote: »
    A win would be nice today but I wont hold my breath.

Who ever holds their breath (apart from swimmers)? It's bad for your heart

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Liverpool vs Sunderland: Reina, Kelly, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson; Allen, Gerrard, Shelvey; Borini, Suarez, Sterling. #LFC

-Ade- wrote: »
    Liverpool vs Sunderland: Reina, Kelly, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson; Allen, Gerrard, Shelvey; Borini, Suarez, Sterling. #LFC

Class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

I nearly more excited to see the subs, come on Suso!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The green bib brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

No Sahin... :( still it's a nice enough side out there.

Any chance Borini can actually be played in the centre today Brandan?

Liverpool FC ‏@LFC
    Confirmed #LFC team: Reina, Kelly, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Shelvey, Gerrard, Allen, Sterling, Borini, Suarez.

Subs: Jones, Enrique, Sahin, Assaidi, Henderson, Downing, Carragher

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hope to see Assaidi today

• Advertisement
Advertisement