Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-fi Issues

Options
  • 15-09-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,

Was wondering if someone could help me, having some serious problems with my wi-fi!

Basically I live in a house that uses 4 devices - 3 use wireless connections and 1 uses a wired connection. However it seems that whenever one of the wireless devices (we'll call this device A) is using the internet, all of the other devices seem to suffer with regards to internet speed as a result. So much so that they are not usable. Would anybody know the reason behind this? Is there any settings on device A that needs to be changed?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Kind regards,

Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Has this happened recently by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CJPMurray

Has this happened recently by any chance?
    Has been quite comsistant over the last 6/7 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Just, I was going to suggest that if it happened in the last two to three weeks it could be a McAfee problem. But if its happening longer Im not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

If you disable the wireless on the problematic device and connect it to the router via a network cable does it still slow everything down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Is the problematic device a Windows device, trying to download hundreds of Mb of Windows updates?

Do you have BitTorrent or iTunes with a lot of PodCast subscriptions?

Are the devices a mixture of WiFi B/G and WiFi N bands?

• Advertisement

Hi guys thanks for replies.

The problematic (windows) device as far as I'm aware has bitTorrent, iTunes with podcasts etc - A generally heavy internet user. Would it be this background downloading that is the issue?

Also, will try that hearney and see if it impacts anything.

The other thing I was wondering though is why does the problematic device seem to get priority? Seems to have a vampire-esque effect on other devices internet

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They have a torrent client, that is your problem. Torrenting involves hundreds of concurrent connections and if incorrectly configured will grab all the upload you have(you get 10x as much down as up from most Irish ISPs) and thus frag your internet experience.

Tell them to put in hard limits(I'll suggest some if you tell me what package you're on) and disable DHT and if they dont listen cut them off.

Also, if you're with UPC the router they provide cant handle that much traffic, so replacing it with another using bridge mode would be a good idea. If you're not with UPC watch your bills for excess charges.

If you're on Eircom then I know someone who got a cheap ADSL modem/router with throttling by MAC address. TD-W8960N for about €40.

Stick in a max up/down for a given user (eg 1/4 of the total bandwidth) and that's all they'll get. Very handy feature for such a cheap router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Torrent programs can kick in at start up automatically.

Try msconfig to ensure that no torrent program is kicking in automatically at start up.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

also if the user is downloading torrents and he/she isnt a d1ck most torrent clients can run a sceduler so that any d/l can be done in the wee hours of the morning when nobody else is using the BB

Advertisement