Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Supervalu ripoff

• 15-09-2012 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Supervalu Dun Laoghaire: One garlic bulb = 99 cents
    Aldi Parnell Street: Pack of 5 garlic bulbs = 69 cents

Supervalu thus charges over 7 times more for an identical product. Hard to understand why people keep going there.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

This has to be the greatest Rip Off of all time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭SoundFella

and mark my words people will pay the extra... also supervalue seems to get 90% irish people where as lidl and aldi get 90% foreigners , and im not being racist saying that , same with the people working their .

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

SoundFella wrote: »
    and mark my words people will pay the extra... also supervalue seems to get 90% irish people where as lidl and aldi get 90% foreigners , and im not being racist saying that , same with the people working their .

The suburban Aldi & Lidls seem to get more Irish customers since the beginning of the recession, but it's probably still a miniroty. I don't really understand the mentality here, do the Irish simply not mind being ripped off, and why do many feel embarrassed going to Alid or Lidl? A strange hangup for citizens of a bankrupt country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭SoundFella

tomdublin wrote: »
    The suburban Aldi & Lidls seem to get more Irish customers since the beginning of the recession, but it's probably still a miniroty. I don't really understand the mentality here, do the Irish simply not mind being ripped off, and why do many feel embarrassed going to Alid or Lidl? A strange hangup for citizens of a bankrupt country.

i know up here i sligo from what i hear that everyone does their ''Big'' shop in either tesco or supervalue and then buys a few offers in aldi or lidl , it may be different elsewhere but that is defiantly how it is up here. People like the chat so i think thats what they want to do and that experience is not half as strong with the staff in aldi and lidl. and yes they seem to be fine with getting ripped off :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Scone in Dunnes is 40c, 89c in SV.
    Soya milk in aldi 89c, 2.10 in SV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Supervalu thus charges over 7 times more for an identical product. Hard to understand why people keep going there.

What's the bus fare from Dun Laoghaire to Parnell St?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

3 bulbs for 1 euro in Superquinn, somewhere in-between the two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Tesco - pack 3 garlic bulbs 69c
    Tesco - one garlic bulb 69c

the multi pack bulbs of garlic are from china and are utter muck.

I'll pay 69c - 99c for one decent large bulb grown in France / spain any day over the awful multipacj cheap stuff.

btw - many of the supervalus do a multi pack of the chinese bulbs for 99c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

not comparing like-for-like if they're sourced from different countries

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

it is a real dilemma as to whether one is supporting the irish economy and irish producer (i.e. worker and producers)
    so many of us are on limited budgets in some form or another and prices are going up quite disproportionately and without justification as to the % increase added on
    i do check the prices when i do shop, i would like to be able to say i use only the 'irish' shops but i do not and the price differences are often enormous
    as a vegetarian of over 40 years standing i do get certain products which give certain nutrition necessary, a linseed and berry sprinkle (branded) is approximately 1/3rd of the price in aldi to that of s/v - i cannot ignore that
    i make a point (and deliberate loss) by both using the village shop, post office and chemist - essential that these remain in our villages (we have lost so much) but really, please don'r rub our noses in it because yours could easily be put out of joint (i.e. of busuness if it wasn't for some of us determined supporters - do remember to support us a little better - please be prpared to do a little kindness here and there
    please order the items we use regularly for us - by request is fine - because we know you cannot manage such a large and varied stock now - do not push us away
    i want a family pack size of certain quorn products, let me have my chocolate hit via my soya puds and do let us have sosmix and suchlike
    delivery free for the less abled would be a boon - so there are things that would make bods like me a better customer, oh and could you bring the firewood and the bottled water to us oh that would be just amazing
    and just take that letter that needs posting - especially forms, and xmas times i am thinking of - that would be the icing of the cake (i do not eat) but anyway - lets see some suggestion boxes eh?

• Advertisement

Aldi and Lidl are "Irish" in the sense that they employ people in Ireland, pay tax and rent in Ireland, and sell roughly the same proportion of Irish products as Supervalu. Businesses who wrap themselves in the Irish flag but rip off their customers aren't acting very patriotically to begin with, exploiting people's noble instincts to feed their own greed.

it is a real dilemma as to whether one is supporting the irish economy and irish producer (i.e. worker and producers)
    so many of us are on limited budgets in some form or another and prices are going up quite disproportionately and without justification as to the % increase added on
    i do check the prices when i do shop, i would like to be able to say i use only the 'irish' shops but i do not and the price differences are often enormous
    as a vegetarian of over 40 years standing i do get certain products which give certain nutrition necessary, a linseed and berry sprinkle (branded) is approximately 1/3rd of the price in aldi to that of s/v - i cannot ignore that
    i make a point (and deliberate loss) by both using the village shop, post office and chemist - essential that these remain in our villages (we have lost so much) but really, please don'r rub our noses in it because yours could easily be put out of joint (i.e. of busuness if it wasn't for some of us determined supporters - do remember to support us a little better - please be prpared to do a little kindness here and there
    please order the items we use regularly for us - by request is fine - because we know you cannot manage such a large and varied stock now - do not push us away
    i want a family pack size of certain quorn products, let me have my chocolate hit via my soya puds and do let us have sosmix and suchlike
    delivery free for the less abled would be a boon - so there are things that would make bods like me a better customer, oh and could you bring the firewood and the bottled water to us oh that would be just amazing
    and just take that letter that needs posting - especially forms, and xmas times i am thinking of - that would be the icing of the cake (i do not eat) but anyway - lets see some suggestion boxes eh?

Another example:
    Large pot of Irish produced natural yogurt, cheapest own brand:
    Tesco 58 cents
    Lidl: 58 cents
    Dunnes: 58 cents
    Aldi: 58 cents
    Supervalu: 1.35 Euro
    That's approximately a 120% price difference for what's essentially a generic product!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Supervalu thus charges over 7 times more for an identical product.
    Were they really the same size & origin?
    The suburban Aldi & Lidls seem to get more Irish customers since the beginning of the recession, but it's probably still a miniroty. I don't really understand the mentality here, do the Irish simply not mind being ripped off, and why do many feel embarrassed going to Alid or Lidl?
    I hear lots of Irish in the aldi & lidls near me. I have never heard anybody express embarrassment, many talk of all the good deals they got.

Many Irish people have brand loyalty and so go to the other shops who stock the usual brands. Foreign people are new to a lot of the brands, so have no loyalty to Irish or UK brands which some people here see as "the best", like if you see threads/polls on "the best ketchup" it is usually just chef & heinz -as though nobody buys any others. Many seem to equate a high price with quality and low price with poor quality. While if you do not know any brands you have to test yourself and many lidl/aldi own brands are very good.

I could imagine a forum in Poland with people saying "why do Polish people not shop in that new cheap supermarket with all the brands few people have heard of, do they not mind being ripped off, all the foreigners go there."

Another example:
    Large pot of Irish produced natural yogurt, cheapest own brand:
    Tesco 58 cents
    That's approximately a 120% price difference for what's essentially a generic product!

another ridiculous comparison.

What are the ingredients, what is the taste.

Have a look at brent pope's comparisons in the Irish Times - he can have 5 "generic" goods all with different prices and all with different tastes.

Unless its the exact same ingredients and from exact same factory and using the exact same proportions of each ingredient, then its not the same product and cannot be compared with another "generic" product.

sandin wrote: »
    What are the ingredients, what is the taste.
    +1

Eddie rockets double cheeseburger €8.50, mcdonalds €2 "XXX% price difference"

Supervalu are more recently known for doing higher quality own brand stuff. Many supermarkets have 2 or 3 ranges now, like tesco value/market, tesco regular, tesco finest. Many of the supervalu stuff is better compared to the finest/premium ranges of dunnes or tesco etc. The ingredients usually tell a lot.
    Tesco 58 cents

Tesco Everyday Value Low Fat Natural Yogurt 500G €0.55
    Tesco Natural Yogurt 500G €1.25
    Tesco Low Fat Natural Yogurt 500G €1.29
    Creamfields Greek Style Natural Yogurt 500G €0.99

Creamfields is tesco, its one of their newer "semi-phantom brands", i.e. the tesco is in tiny writing on the back, trying to pass it off as a new brand.

There is no tesco finest natural but if there was, then going by those prices I would expect it to be more than the supervalue 1.35

Tesco Finest Vanilla Yogurt 150G €0.89

Yes the other chains have more expensive ranges as well, but the point is that there you have the option of buying the low-cost alternative but in Supervalu you don't, screwing all the elderly ladies on meagre old-age pensions who aren't mobile enough to make it to the nearest Tesco or Aldi. Besides, for many products the Supervalu own-brand version is identical to what's sold by its competitors: it's made by the same producers with identical ingredients, but sold in different packaging at a vastly higher markup.
    rubadub wrote: »
    +1

Eddie rockets double cheeseburger €8.50, mcdonalds €2 "XXX% price difference"

Supervalu are more recently known for doing higher quality own brand stuff. Many supermarkets have 2 or 3 ranges now, like tesco value/market, tesco regular, tesco finest. Many of the supervalu stuff is better compared to the finest/premium ranges of dunnes or tesco etc. The ingredients usually tell a lot.

Tesco Everyday Value Low Fat Natural Yogurt 500G €0.55
    Tesco Natural Yogurt 500G €1.25
    Tesco Low Fat Natural Yogurt 500G €1.29
    Creamfields Greek Style Natural Yogurt 500G €0.99

Creamfields is tesco, its one of their newer "semi-phantom brands", i.e. the tesco is in tiny writing on the back, trying to pass it off as a new brand.

There is no tesco finest natural but if there was, then going by those prices I would expect it to be more than the supervalue 1.35

Tesco Finest Vanilla Yogurt 150G €0.89

screwing all the elderly ladies on meagre old-age pensions who aren't mobile enough to make it to the nearest Tesco or Aldi.
    This is an important point, you are reminding me that many supervalus are in locations more in line with convenience stores, and that supervalu's marketing seems to place them more in the convenience store category, small local shop you can find your way around. This is why in store they make a big deal out of price matching the big boys, who most would expect to be dearer than a convenience type shop.
    many products the Supervalu own-brand version is identical to what's sold by its competitors: it's made by the same producers with identical ingredients, but sold in different packaging at a vastly higher markup.
    Have you actually confirmed this on any/many products? ingredients are listed in order of greatest so you can directly compare products. Then there is the nutritional information, the % fat, protein, carbs, carbs which sugar, fibre, sodium, calories per 100g. If the ingredients & this info match you likely have products from the same factory (except stuff like veg oil or sugar).

In some cases there are still differences, like biscuit manufacturers who fast bake the own brand stuff, so it has identical info & ingredients, but it can taste different.

Supervalu do have some very cheap stuff in the own brand too, and sometimes do have more than one line, not sure about the yogurts. My point is if supervalu do not have 2-3 variations then it is usually farier to compare with the midrange one in other shops (It would be rare to see supervalu only have a cheapo version of the likes of yogurt). In tescos case the mid range yogurt is €1.25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This is an important point, you are reminding me that many supervalus are in locations more in line with convenience stores, and that supervalu's marketing seems to place them more in the convenience store category, small local shop you can find your way around. This is why in store they make a big deal out of price matching the big boys, who most would expect to be dearer than a convenience type shop.

Have you actually confirmed this on any/many products? ingredients are listed in order of greatest so you can directly compare products. Then there is the nutritional information, the % fat, protein, carbs, carbs which sugar, fibre, sodium, calories per 100g. If the ingredients & this info match you likely have products from the same factory (except stuff like veg oil or sugar).

In some cases there are still differences, like biscuit manufacturers who fast bake the own brand stuff, so it has identical info & ingredients, but it can taste different.

Supervalu do have some very cheap stuff in the own brand too, and sometimes do have more than one line, not sure about the yogurts. My point is if supervalu do not have 2-3 variations then it is usually farier to compare with the midrange one in other shops (It would be rare to see supervalu only have a cheapo version of the likes of yogurt). In tescos case the mid range yogurt is €1.25.

I think the Centra franchises are more in the convenience store category, whereas the SuperValu franchise are seen as supermarkets (although some of the older ones don't have an awful lot of floorspace compared to their more modern counterparts). The Centra prices are higher than those of SV.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think the Centra franchises are more in the convenience store category,
    I agree, supervalu are sort of inbetween in my mind, I would just not categorize them with lidl. I often nip into one or the other at a junction in deansgrange, if I am in any hurry I go to supervalu, I expect to pay more. I usually get in and out quicker with a better selection of brands I prefer.

If I was to put them in order of price I would expect to pay more it would be "johnny's local shop", centra, supervalu, tesco.

Shopping in SuperValu is not like any other supermarket, we like to think of it as an experience rather than a hassle.

Our staff work hard to bring our customers the best in fresh food at great value prices and an unrivalled level of service. Walk in and you will be greeted by a friendly, welcoming atmosphere, as well as a genuine passion of the quality of the range we offer.

You see, when we say ‘Real Food Real People’ we really mean it.

looking on wiki says they do have 3 tiers of own brands
    SuperValu has three own brands: SuperValu Range, Daily Basics; a discount brand and SuperValu Supreme; a more high-end brand.
    SuperValu focus heavily on trying to prove that their products aren't more expensive than rivals Tesco and Dunnes Stores, with the "SuperValu Price Promise".
    Note they do not attempt to say they are anyway cheaper, this is why I would look at them differently.

Supervalu, Centra, Superquinn and several other convenience store brands (such as Mace) have the same owner (Musgrave) which means there is no real competition between any of them. Supervalu's strategy seems to be to operate mainly in lower-middle-class-and-upwards areas with no competition in walking distance. That gives Supervalu a captive market among the elderly and others without a car who have no choice but to pay its inflated markups. Behind its touchy-feely flag-waving facade it seems to be quite a calculating and cynical operation.

• Advertisement

Supervalu, Centra, Superquinn and several other convenience store brands (such as Mace) have the same owner (Musgrave) which means there is no real competition between any of them. Supervalu's strategy seems to be to operate mainly in lower-middle-class-and-upwards areas with no competition in walking distance and to use all its influence over local politicians and the planning process to keep competitors out of the area, taking advantage of poor competition and consumer-protection laws. That gives Supervalu a captive market among the elderly and others without a car who have no choice but to pay its inflated markups. Behind its touchy-feely flag-waving facade it seems to be quite a calculating and cynical operation.

Musgrave generally doesn't own SuperValu, Centra or Mace stores, except in exceptional circumstances i.e. a case up country where a SuperValu store was owned by someone on the verge of going down the crapper due to his other business ventures going bust. Musgrave bought the store to protect its interests.

RGData is the axe that they use to keep out the competition, this being what happened when Tesco tried to get into Listowel.

Musgrave's marketing likes pushing the "local" aspect of the franchises, but over 95% of the goods sold in SV, for example, all come from Musgrave central-billing, and these are mostly the same brand names sold by Tesco and Dunns. The franchises are allowed to buy less than 5% of their total purchases from local suppliers, but they give the impression that it is a hell of a lot more. It's effective bullsh1t because most people seem to believe in the "local" myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

ejmaztec	
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomdublin  
    Supervalu, Centra, Superquinn and several other convenience store brands (such as Mace) have the same owner (Musgrave) which means there is no real competition between any of them. Supervalu's strategy seems to be to operate mainly in lower-middle-class-and-upwards areas with no competition in walking distance and to use all its influence over local politicians and the planning process to keep competitors out of the area, taking advantage of poor competition and consumer-protection laws. That gives Supervalu a captive market among the elderly and others without a car who have no choice but to pay its inflated markups. Behind its touchy-feely flag-waving facade it seems to be quite a calculating and cynical operation.
    Musgrave generally doesn't own SuperValu, Centra or Mace stores, except in exceptional circumstances i.e. a case up country where a SuperValu store was owned by someone on the verge of going down the crapper due to his other business ventures going bust. Musgrave bought the store to protect its interests. 

RGData is the axe that they use to keep out the competition, this being what happened when Tesco tried to get into Listowel.

Musgrave's marketing likes pushing the "local" aspect of the franchises, but over 95% of the goods sold in SV, for example, all come from Musgrave central-billing, and these are mostly the same brand names sold by Tesco and Dunns. The franchises are allowed to buy less than 5% of their total purchases from local suppliers, but they give the impression that it is a hell of a lot more. It's effective bullsh1t because most people seem to believe in the "local" myth.

you clearly have a (minor) insight into what your talking about but I stress minor. You see the 'central billing' (supplier bills musgrave who own supervalu, musgrave bills the store) policy can and is adapted by everyone from avonmore milk to the local bread man. You see the likes of barrys bread in cork, staffords bread in wexford, stapletons bread in tipp are all delighted to be paid via 'central billing' so they then have the opportunity to sell into 194 supervalus and 400 centras with no risk of payment or no risk to the stores 95% loyalty with musgrave.

so when you say a store isn't supporting local your forgetting that the stores 'local' suppliers' are been given the opportunity to sell into over 600 shops by simply dealing with one. This is adapted for everyone from the bread men to the milk men to the local supplier of eggs.

The 5% is then used to buy marys apple tarts or jonnys scones, micks spuds who simply will never be in a position to supply more than one store

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

ALDI now show on their receipts your purchases that are Irish produced. Nice touch i know other supermarkets are doing it already but it's good to see ALDI doing it as well as this is where I do the majority of my shopping for the last four years. Used to have the place to meself before the aul recession moved here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭enricoh

anytime on the dragons den someone comes on with a new sauce, yoghurt etc and they say they are in one of the supermarkets its nearly always super valu that has given them a break. that has to be commended.
    compare that to tesco where they have irish flags all around the few irish products they sell, making a big scene about it.
    imo the government should make it compulsory to put on reciept the total irish products sold. if the majority of fruit n vedg sold was irish there would be an awful lot of jobs created, ok not the sexiest n well paid jobs ever but horticulture takes a lot of labour n would get a lot of unskilled people going. people who in reality are never gonna become computer programmers no matter how many courses they go on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Have a look at brent pope's comparisons in the Irish Times -

LOL, I think the guy's name is Conor Pope.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭kevincaomhin

Supervalu, Centra, Superquinn and several other convenience store brands (such as Mace) have the same owner (Musgrave) which means there is no real competition between any of them. Supervalu's strategy seems to be to operate mainly in lower-middle-class-and-upwards areas with no competition in walking distance. That gives Supervalu a captive market among the elderly and others without a car who have no choice but to pay its inflated markups. Behind its touchy-feely flag-waving facade it seems to be quite a calculating and cynical operation.

AFAIK , Mace, Spar and Eurospar are normally owned locally and operated under BWG. Obviously any of these can go to a musgraves cash and carry but normally they go central billing from BWG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Besides, for many products the Supervalu own-brand version is identical to what's sold by its competitors: it's made by the same producers with identical ingredients, but sold in different packaging at a vastly higher markup.

Could you list which products there are and who the manufacturer's are please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I've never really understood this 'buy irish' nonsense. Why should I take my money and pay over the odds for a product of equal quality with a lower price in another shop that happens to be from a different European country or farther afield? Especially when you consider to my mind anyway - continuously paying over the odds - rewards inefficient/greedy businesses and takes food out of my own familys mouth?

SD

I guess its just a small price to pay to help keep people in jobs.

• Advertisement

reprazant wrote: »
    I guess its just a small price to pay to help keep people in jobs.

No it's inefficient and ultimately costs jobs. If a business is viable it will survive. If it isn't it does not deserve to survive. Paying above the odds for a product does me and my family out of cash and props up an inefficient business.

SD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

SoundFella wrote: »

The country may have its issues but a large proportion of its people have plenty of cash so for example choose to shop in m&s for higher quality fare and better service etc as they are not price sensitive

Nothing to do with embarrassment, different strokes for different folks/wallet sizes

Ps I do not shop in m&s

Could you list which products there are and who the manufacturer's are please?

way too many to mention. doesn't seem to cover the all either

http://supervalu.ie/real-people/supplier-stories/

tippguy wrote: »
    ejmaztec    
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomdublin  

you clearly have a (minor) insight into what your talking about but I stress minor. You see the 'central billing' (supplier bills musgrave who own supervalu, musgrave bills the store) policy can and is adapted by everyone from avonmore milk to the local bread man. You see the likes of barrys bread in cork, staffords bread in wexford, stapletons bread in tipp are all delighted to be paid via 'central billing' so they then have the opportunity to sell into 194 supervalus and 400 centras with no risk of payment or no risk to the stores 95% loyalty with musgrave.

so when you say a store isn't supporting local your forgetting that the stores 'local' suppliers' are been given the opportunity to sell into over 600 shops by simply dealing with one. This is adapted for everyone from the bread men to the milk men to the local supplier of eggs.

The 5% is then used to buy marys apple tarts or jonnys scones, micks spuds who simply will never be in a position to supply more than one store

It looks like Tesco and Dunns are also supporting "local" businesses in the same way, which is what my "minor" insight was saying.

The 5% sham is a set-up to make it look like SuperValu is all about community, as is the tie-up with Tidy Towns etc.

I forgot to mention that I steer clear of any of the Musgrave franchises as much as is humanly possible.

way too many to mention. doesn't seem to cover the all either

http://supervalu.ie/real-people/supplier-stories/

But which of them also make the same products, using the same ingredients, for supervalu's competitors as was alleged?

But which of them also make the same products, using the same ingredients, for supervalu's competitors as was alleged?

Almost all of them

• Advertisement

Almost all of them

such as ......

Almost all of them
    You seem very confident. Seems you must have done what I asked below if you are so sure.

There was a thread about own brands before and who makes them, was meant to be on the Pat Kenny show
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056195473
    SuperValu have 1,700 own brand products, over 30% of these are Irish.
    Who makes SuperValu own brand?
    Glenisk – organic yogurts
    Glenisk are not listed as making anything for any other supermarkets on that list. And all of the supermarkets you mentioned were on the list
    Tesco 58 cents

a crowd called "irish yogurts" make some for several.
    Irish Yogurts (Clonakilty)– Centra luxury yoghurts
    Irish Yogurts (Clonakilty, Co Cork)- produce (Superquinn) Essentials yogurts

The naming "luxury" and "essentials" would suggest they are are probably different ingredients, and so would not be an example of what reprazant & I were looking for.

There were more tips on spotting same producers
    Another way of checking (for the super-sleuths!)
    This only applies to meat and diary products: Irrespective of the brand, the label will have an EU approval number identifying the final processing plant. The Department of Agriculture publishes a list of approved plants for Ireland on its website.
    This label identifies only the final stage of processing not the actual origin of the meat or dairy product.
    For example, if you’re looking at two cartons of milk or a packet of rashers, one branded, one own brand, look at the origin code on the label (an oval with IE, a number and EC) or on the cap you may find, for instance, the number 1405 on both products. This identifies the production plant as being the same.

StudentDad wrote: »
    I've never really understood this 'buy irish' nonsense. Why should I take my money and pay over the odds for a product of equal quality with a lower price in another shop that happens to be from a different European country or farther afield? Especially when you consider to my mind anyway - continuously paying over the odds - rewards inefficient/greedy businesses and takes food out of my own familys mouth?

SD

Considering that Ireland is a huge exporter of food product and they are seen as superior in many parts of the world, this has to be one of the stupidest statements on boards for a long time.

Any ineffecient/greedy business that was there is well gone witht he recession and only the good effecient ones have survived - but they have not just survived, many have prospered and the food industry is the one that will get us out of the recession.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It looks like Tesco and Dunns are also supporting "local" businesses in the same way, which is what my "minor" insight was saying.

The 5% sham is a set-up to make it look like SuperValu is all about community, as is the tie-up with Tidy Towns etc.

I forgot to mention that I steer clear of any of the Musgrave franchises as much as is humanly possible.

So your saying that the local bread, egg meat and milk guys aren't actually local just cause they're 'central billing'...kinda makes no sense. Again that's why I stress 'minor'.

So your saying that the local bread, egg meat and milk guys aren't actually local just cause they're 'central billing'...kinda makes no sense. Again that's why I stress 'minor'.

It seems to me that you regard any supplier in Ireland as local, whereas I see a local supplier as meaning one within a ten mile radius of the store.

• Advertisement

I clearly referred to the likes of
    Barry's bread - available in cork and Kerry not Donegal
    Loughnanes sausages - available in Galway not Kerry
    Arabawan milk - available in Tipp & Galway not Dublin

All local suppliers not national but would be central billing

Anyway totally gone off topic here

double post

SD

Considering that Ireland is a huge exporter of food product and they are seen as superior in many parts of the world, this has to be one of the stupidest statements on boards for a long time.

Any ineffecient/greedy business that was there is well gone witht he recession and only the good effecient ones have survived - but they have not just survived, many have prospered and the food industry is the one that will get us out of the recession.

Well now that's wonderful. Tell you what though when the 'usual brands' produced in Ireland and running under the 'buy Irish' motto are consistently cheaper and of better quality than the food found in Lidl and Aldi etc etc. Then I'll buy it. Until then good luck to you!

SD

Well now that's wonderful. Tell you what though when the 'usual brands' produced in Ireland and running under the 'buy Irish' motto are consistently cheaper and of better quality than the food found in Lidl and Aldi etc etc. Then I'll buy it. Until then good luck to you!

SD

Funny thing is, a lot of the own brand foods in aldi / lidl ARE made in Ireland and therefore you're buying Irish anyway.

SD

Funny thing is, a lot of the own brand foods in aldi / lidl ARE made in Ireland and therefore you're buying Irish anyway.

Maybe I am. However, I won't buy something just because it has a 'made in Ireland' logo on it. There are far too many products on the market that are to my mind anyway priced far too highly for what they are. Butter as an example - why should I buy Kerrygold when the Tesco own brand is just as good and cheaper. I care about the quality of the product and the price, not where its made. As I said earlier, buying Irish for the sake of it, costs me more, costs my family more and rewards a company 'for being Irish,' rather than rewarding them for producing a good product at a reasonable price.

SD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I work for aldi and we had a meeting at start of week and it was said that aldi uk/Ireland have made a 30% increase in sales this year, that's massive, and was told that the near by tesco have laid off quite a few temp workers because their all handing in their cv's into aldi ,

I alone have heard loads of people saying that they used to buy just a few things in aldi and do main shop in tesco but over time they realised the products in aldi were mostly as good if not better than the brand names and it's turned on its head their shopping routine.

Now it's mostly aldi and just the few things in tesco. It doesn't take a expert to tell you that you can get a full trolley of everyday items for under or just over 100 .

I'm not pushing the whole aldi thing on people , I done full shops in dunnes and tesco, and I can tell you the products are as good but the savings are massive.Hope I don't get banned now.....

Every little helps folks

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

I work for aldi and we had a meeting at start of week and it was said that aldi uk/Ireland have made a 30% increase in sales this year, that's massive, and was told that the near by tesco have laid off quite a few temp workers because their all handing in their cv's into aldi ,

I alone have heard loads of people saying that they used to buy just a few things in aldi and do main shop in tesco but over time they realised the products in aldi were mostly as good if not better than the brand names and it's turned on its head their shopping routine.

Now it's mostly aldi and just the few things in tesco. It doesn't take a expert to tell you that you can get a full trolley of everyday items for under or just over 100 .

I'm not pushing the whole aldi thing on people , I done full shops in dunnes and tesco, and I can tell you the products are as good but the savings are massive.Hope I don't get banned now.....

Every little helps folks

Have to agree I can do a fill weeks shopping for the household on an average of 75 euro. There are 3 of us in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I do 90% of my shopping in aldi/lidl. Its not just the price. They have good quality produce and the staff are courteous, fast and efficient.

By comparison the staff in in my local supervalu are surly, slow and unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Momento Mori

People that do their shopping in Supervalu and Centra, I will never understand you.

Supervalu: Non-organic plums: 1 kilo loose = 6.35 Euro
    Aldi: Non-organic plums: 500g punnet = 1.49 Euro
    Price difference per kilo: over 100%

• Advertisement
Advertisement