Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does it take to go over 500GB a month?

• 15-09-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

I'm currently with eircom but I'm looking to move to UPC as I've had problems with my broadband for over 2 months now and eircom just can't(won't?) fix it.

The only problem is UPC don't have unlimited usage.

There's 6 of us in the house. 4 of us us a lot of internet (xbox, downloading, netflix and some other streaming) and the other 2 usually use it just for the basics(email, facebook etc.)

Have many people gone over it? How easy is it to get to 500GB?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

alroley wrote: »
    I'm currently with eircom but I'm looking to move to UPC as I've had problems with my broadband for over 2 months now and eircom just can't(won't?) fix it.

The only problem is UPC don't have unlimited usage.

There's 5 of us in the house. 3 of us us a lot of internet (xbox, downloading songs and episodes, netflix and some other streaming) and the other 2 usually use it just for the basics(email, facebook etc.)

Have many people gone over it? How easy is it to get to 500GB?
    Its about 350 Dvds to download. We used 120 gigs last month and thats with 6 users 4 heavy and Netflix on the go 2ish hours a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Dazza wrote: »
    Its about 350 Dvds to download. We used 120 gigs last month and thats with 6 users 4 heavy and Netflix on the go 2ish hours a day.

Thanks.

Was really worried we'd go way over it - from next week there's a 6th person moving in - hope she doesn't use a much as some of us do already!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

I've been told by upc that even if you pass the 500GB mark, you will just get an upgrade to an unlimited usage.
    so i don't know why are you worrying so much.

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    I've been told by upc that even if you pass the 500GB mark, you will just get an upgrade to an unlimited usage.
    so i don't know why are you worrying so much.

When I asked they said there was no such thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

alroley wrote: »
    I'm currently with eircom ... How easy is it to get to 500GB?

Eircom limits are normally 10/20/30GB, did you browbeat them unto moving you to unlimited or pay some extraordinary tariff?

Its extremely hard to use 500GB. Two of my boxes are online and talking to at least some extent 24/7 and we usually run up about 230GB per month. I'd say most households dont hit the 100GB mark.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Eircom limits are normally 10/20/30GB, did you browbeat them unto moving you to unlimited or pay some extraordinary tariff?

I think almost all of eircoms packages are unlimited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Nope. All of eircoms "next generation broadband" packages are not unlimited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Eircom have a 250gb limit on all unlimited packages.

wow. Well, that's really made my mind up then - definitely changing to UPC!

Never heard anything from eircom so guess we never went over 250GB.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yup, eircom either has a ridiculous 10/20/30GB limit or an "unlimited" plan which has a fair usage policy cap of of 250GB.

I believe all of UPC's packs come with a 500GB limit and if you go over it they will upgrade you to a higher package for a month or something with 1TB limit. It will cost you a few extra quid that month.

I still haven't gone over mine, usually clocks up about 60GB to 200GB depending on if I'm using it or not :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement