Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoopid noob question - mounting a hollow steel ball to a wooden dowel

• 15-09-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

This will likely be the first of many dumb idiot questions from me :D

I'm working in visual fx for tv and film and there's some equipment that can't be bought pre-made, and one of these items is a mirror ball mounted on a stick like so:

bunker_hdri.jpg?w=450&h=299

The ball itself is a garden gazing ball which I have, and is made from hollow polished steel. Since I'm a diy noob however, what I need to do is finding a way that I can attach this to a stick so that I can hold it in front of the camera that's filming everything as reference. Ideally it'd be great to have this mountable on some kind of removable rod of some kind so I'm thinking if there's some way of either attaching some kind of screw hole on the bottom of the pole, and then put some threaded rod on top of a dowel, or alternatively attach an electrical or plumbing junction to the ball so I can slide a standard size bit of conduit piping in.

Tool wise I only have a standard power drill, what else would I need to do this on the cheap?

It'd be brilliant to have access to some kind of rentable workshop for this type of thing!

Thanks in advance,

John

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You could drill a hole in it and tread it or if it is too thin pour some epoxy resin in the hole then block the hole till it sets and re drill and tread or just use the hole and stick a dowel in it.
    Another option might one of those kids arrows with the suction pad at the end lick it and stick it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Steel ball... glue a strong magnet to the rod. Attach and detach at will, and should hold it secure enough for a camera shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Steel ball... glue a strong magnet to the rod. Attach and detach at will, and should hold it secure enough for a camera shot.

Clever little boardy! :)

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

That is incredibly sneaky alright! Much appreciated!

Advertisement