Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You think there's any middle class people who inject heroin?

• 15-09-2012 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Was just thinking this today

Anyone think there's middle class heroin users who hold down a job and do it at the weekend? Is it even possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

parc wrote: »

Anyone think there's middle class heroin users who hold down a job and do it at the weekend?

Guaranteed there is at least one.
    They may not be able to do it in perpetuity however.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

We refer to it as opium darling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Yes. It is expensive after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Yep. I know a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Pete Doherty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Someone doesn't automatically have to be working class to be a junkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Definitely. Probably only temporarily middle class though. Heroin will **** ya up. They'll end up on the streets if it turns into an addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

Pete Doherty.

Yeah but he robs and is a skank. You'd know he does it to look at him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

The middle class can't afford drugs anymore :mad: I'll have to go onto SW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Yeah ...Jim Morrison was very middle class . .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Only lately, was quite cheap for a time after the US let the farmers in Afghanistan go mad producing 2/3rds of the worlds total crop unharassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

There are many.Usually the drug gets the better of them in the end though.Everyone starts somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

That's kind of sickening. "Oh no, not the middle classes!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

OP cannot be serious or lives a very sheltered life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I don't think it, I know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

That's kind of sickening. "Oh no, not the middle classes!"
    Typical indo. In their coverage re the two young lads who died in Kinsale last week, they deemed it relevant to mention that they were middle-class and one of the guys' parents lived in a nice house by the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

You don't have to inject heroine, you can smoke it, or chasing the dragon as its called. It was popular for weekend recreational use among the middle classes in London and New York during the pre-depression years, so if there you can be assured it went on here.

If you go by addiction studies 10% of them would have got into trouble and progressed to injecting it. So yes is the answer there are middle classed people who injects heroine. I don't know any, I did know a few recreational weekend cocaine users though. (Twats)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I's say there's a good few that smoke it but injecting the numbers would be pretty low I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Anyone think there's middle class heroin users who hold down a job and do it at the weekend? Is it even possible?

Loads I'm sure, I know I've read on boards about a couple of users troubles.

Even Jack Bauer managed to hold down a stressful job while on the junk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

yes,I personally know the son of a business man who owned a fairly small but successful niche electronics business in Dublin.the business owner died he son got his hands on his portion of the cash and blew it on a downward spiral of drug use.
    really nice,intelligent guy but a complete fúck up of a bloke.he's still only young too

hardCopy wrote: »
    Loads I'm sure, I know I've read on boards about a couple of users troubles.

Even Jack Bauer managed to hold down a stressful job while on the junk.
    #
    WTF, you take that back

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭EclipsiumRasa

I am disappointed to think someone who used the apostrophe correctly in the there's in the title couldn't come up with a better thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

I know someone who became middle class after getting addicted, does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I am disappointed to think someone who used the apostrophe correctly in the there's in the title couldn't come up with a better thread.

HuH

I am disappointed with someone who uses perfect grammar and structure in their sentences could not come up with a better post.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

De dentists, doctors, nurses do be hookin demselves up to de morphine drips.

Terrible Joe.

Colmustard wrote: »
    HuH

I am disappointed with someone who uses perfect grammar and structure in their sentences could not come up with a better post.:(

mod:

knock it off lads.

Lads, I'm disappointed with yas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Actually, it's really really cheap, the problem is the tolerance goes up very quickly so you need more a lot faster than you would for most drugs.

I've heard plenty of stories of people who only do it at the weekends, function perfectly normal during the weak. But haven't ever met any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Plenty do, for a time.

Then it all falls apart on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I would guess that there are three major reasons why heroin is a drug that appears to be disproportionately skewed in its uptake to those of a poor background.

One reason is the nature of the drug; users seem to be going through such negative emotional states whilst at the same time, having no socially favourable position in life to lose, that the notion of addiction is less frightening.

This leads on nicely to the social side of heroin use. I once read that heroin users can be seen to be retreatists ; people who are alienated by authority and do not understand mainstream goals, and form their own close knit band of conspirators who sympathise with one another's experiences. And that does seem to be borne out on the streets; heroin is something of a group activity involving small bands of very close friends.

The third reason may relate not so much to the poor, but to the rich. As well as having 'something to lose' by taking on an addiction, the rich are aware of heroin's popular reputation as belonging to a certain socio economic class. Instead, perhaps they choose to identify with alternative drugs as part of their social interactions, ones that are not so much vehicles to deal with pain directly, but which are associated with a 'party' or leisure culture.

That's my take on why the socially disadvantaged may be more likely to take up heroin anyway; but by no means am I suggesting that middle class heroin users do not exist.

Just one question.

I've often heard about the chemically addictive nature of heroin on an anecdotal basis - that whilst the high is unlike many other drugs, heroin is also a stronger (chemical) addiction to kick. I know that's very much the anecdotal experience, but is it actually true? I've often been suspicious that a large part of the reason why heroin is so popular to kick is because of the problems that gave rise to its uptake in the first place. But that's a question, not a statement of fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

But haven't ever met any.

I guarantee you several people you know have been like that at some stage. People who smoke heroin dont get a stamp on their head saying "i smoke heroin"

The amount of young people today who smoke heroin is shocking. I would say 1 in 15 young men today smoke / have smoked heroin in some areas.

A 20 year old i know says to me that 4 of the 25 people in his old class smoke heroin that he knows about. Hes not even from the worst area.

• Advertisement

Media999 wrote: »
    I guarantee you several people you know have been like that at some stage. People who smoke heroin dont get a stamp on their head saying "i smoke heroin"

The amount of young people today who smoke heroin is shocking. I would say 1 in 15 young men today smoke / have smoked heroin in some areas.

A 20 year old i know says to me that 4 of the 25 people in his old class smoke heroin that he knows about. Hes not even from the worst area.

That right there has made my day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yeah, I have worked with quite a few over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

later12 wrote: »
    I've often heard about the chemically addictive nature of heroin on an anecdotal basis - that whilst the high is unlike many other drugs, heroin is also a stronger (chemical) addiction to kick. I know that's very much the anecdotal experience, but is it actually true? I've often been suspicious that a large part of the reason why heroin is so popular to kick is because of the problems that gave rise to its uptake in the first place. But that's a question, not a statement of fact.

Ive been in contact with many ex Heroin users and they all claim that its actually not that hard and that Nicottene is far worse. However i think its a combination of things. If youre injecting, nothing to lose, friends still taking it etc etc.. then im sure its bad alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I am. I know plenty of people who take heroin, either IV or smoking, but none are middle class that I know of. :)

I'd probably have the same amount in my class when I graduated and more than that would take heroin from time to time these days. (not counting those who have died from my class).

I'm from a very working class are of Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

later12 wrote: »

Nope its not just psychological with Heroin, if you build a physical dependence on the drug and have to go without, you will be horribly sick for a week while you're going through initial withdrawals, nausea, sh1ts, anxiety, insomnia, restless legs, shivering one minute fever the next etc. Time will fix it in the long run, but a shot will fix it immediately and then some, most choose the shot.

After you beat the physical withdrawal period, there will still be weeks of depression in store. This is because your body stops producing endorphins when you are physically dependent on an opiate. Endorphins are the body's natural painkiller, among other things, and they bind to the opiate receptors in your brain in the exact same way that heroin does. Biochemically endorphins are identical to opiates, Endorphins are endogenous morphines, or the morphines produced within. Your body sees no need to produce endorphins when you constantly have exogenous morphines (heroin) binding to your opiate receptors. It can take a few weeks to months for your body to start producing a healthy level of endorphins again after kicking a daily habit.

So given that, its not a trivial endearvour to kick when you've got a savage oil-burning gear habit.

To conclude, heroin is delicious and really More-ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Well you'd have to define middle class but here's a Heroin users thread from this month on a popular drug forum.
    http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/641229-Regional-Heroin-Discussion-v-Sweet-Sixteen

I always thought that all junkies were homeless but it seems some have Internet and high post counts anyway! Don't know if this answer the question but I was surprised anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I wish people would question their belief of junkie = working class. Have you ever heard of any middle class people being addicted to coke say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

only scumbags inject heroin. doing a line of charley is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If the pharmacies are anything to go by Solpadeine is the bomb yo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Someone doesn't automatically have to be working class to be a junkie.

..but it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

anhedonia wrote: »
    Nope its not just psychological with Heroin

So given that, its not a trivial endearvour to kick when you've got a savage oil-burning gear habit.
    Oh no, of course it's not just psychological. I didn't suggest it was trivial, even aside from the physical addiction.

I was questioning whether it is an empirical fact that heroin is more physically addictive than other physically addictive psychoactive substances.

Ive been in contact with many ex Heroin users and they all claim that its actually not that hard and that Nicottene is far worse. However i think its a combination of things. If youre injecting, nothing to lose, friends still taking it etc etc.. then im sure its bad alright.
    Yeah, the one relevant paper i read said that most researchers consider nicotine more physically addictive too.

Of course the difference with nicotine is that it's less physically and personally destructive. You can smoke a cigarette while working, if you're lucky. It doesn't become the only thing in your life, which is, I suspect, where a lot of the difficulty in kicking heroin lies, and not necessarily in the physical addiction in itself.

Which means, in theory, ameliorating addicts' social welfare (not that type of social welfare...) could reduce uptake or aid users to come off the drug.

Advertisement