Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nothing been made like it used to..

• 15-09-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

Dont know if its the economic downturn or just sloppy workmanship but is anything been made the way it use to be?

Got a pair of RST tractech boots fell apart after 8mths (fair enough you get what you pay for and they are entry level boots) then I went and paid €239 for a pair of Dainese gore tex boots and the water was getting in one boot after 2 mths. Got another pair and the top of the soles came loose after 2-3mths but stayed dry in very wet weather. Each time I get a new boot I am paying a bit more, after all you get what you pay for...but do you?

Now I am on to my 3rd pair of boots in just over 12mths, Yesterday I just bought a pair of 2012 series Alpinestars SMX Plus GORETEX for €349 fookin euro and if these dont last I give up. :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2adR4Nt6HNM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

You've too much money is your problem. Ha.

Really tho man I would imagine that stuff these days is actually of higher quality due to modern manufacturing processes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Got a pair of RST tractech boots fell apart after 8mths

I just got a pair of these last week and the quality was so crap I didn't even try wearing them on the bike - sent them back for a refund. I'll stick to my Sidis.

Really surprised as my one piece leathers are RST Tractech and it's a great bit of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Did you try to return or get the boots repaired? You have a lot of come back for things that go so fcuked after an unreasonable amount of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I got Dainese pannier boots in bikeworld for about €190 in August last year. They leaked in Janurary, but I brought them back and they changed them. Boots like that shouldn't leak so soon!
    Bit of an ordeal changing them, they send them back to Dainese for testing, if they leak grand, if they don't, they do you for fraud! (So the guy in the shop said, think it's bollocks, and not sure how legal that is, you're left without boots till they get back to you)
    Changed them for better model and they're savage, best boots I've had! Cost about €250.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Cienciano wrote: »
    I got Dainese pannier boots in bikeworld for about €190 in August last year. They leaked in Janurary, but I brought them back and they changed them. Boots like that shouldn't leak so soon!
    Bit of an ordeal changing them, they send them back to Dainese for testing, if they leak grand, if they don't, they do you for fraud! (So the guy in the shop said, think it's bollocks, and not sure how legal that is, you're left without boots till they get back to you)
    Changed them for better model and they're savage, best boots I've had! Cost about €250.

For trying to avail of your statutory rights? They could try I suppose, but as long as you are bringing them in in good faith they would have no case at all. He sounds like a bollocks TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

£80 boots in hein gericke. Have them 18 months and have not leaked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Really tho man I would imagine that stuff these days is actually of higher quality due to modern manufacturing processes.

I wish, when I returned the RST I had €150 credit so I added the extra €80. When you are adding the extra you forget you actaully paid the €150 already so its like you are getting really good boots for small money lol. Then I got caught again lol. I really did not want to pay that for boots €250 was my absolute limit but everything else was outta stock. :mad:

I ride all year round and was caught in some terrible rain this year going up north at the road races. Thankfully I was dry but leaving home at 6am riding up north and not getting back till 9pm you dont wanna be wet all day and miserable. So its vital I get a nice warm pair of GORE TEX boots..... I will but them through the paces tomorrow when on a spin as its meant to be raining.

O yeah, dont get me wrong I am not questioning the technology just the shoddy workmanship or the like. I was really surprised 2 pair of Dainese bit the bullet TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tbh OP over the last twenty years or so I've went through nearly every manufacture of boot, both supplied in work and bough and in my experience a tough pair of hiking boots will stand head and shoulders over any motorbike boot I've used.

They'd look crap in a leather power ranger suit, but I'd look like crap in leathers :p

Maybe a dirty big pair of steel capped corpo boots is the way to go alright. :D

In fairness to these alpinestars the armour and protection on the boots is incredible and if it makes me feel that bit safer on the bike its a good thing, I know each to their own and all that but I wear the knox chest and back protector all the time and it makes me feel alot more comfortable when riding. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I wear TCX boots and they're 100% waterproof and warm and dry, you could try them if you've no luck with your next pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Got some Nitro Nishima GP gloves a for 80 quid when I started out, lasted about a year now, through 2 falls too and finally the rip of the seam at the index finger got too big to ignore really. Good chance the tip of the index finger would have just come straight out of the glove in a crash

Splashed out and got the Dainese Full Metal Pro gloves, got them there on Friday. Great fit, but was somewhat surprised to note that the carbon protector on the index finger of the left glove is way off. They're hand made gloves I believe so on greater inspection the stitching and leather parts can be a bit skew ways at some points, but it was sitting on the left side of the finger joint/knuckle. Even when I'm not riding it causes enough pain to the point that if I could I'd prefer to slide a layer of something over the back of my index finger to prevent the rubbing.

While in contrast the right hand glove is completely fine, so I know I'm not going insane, and I'm fairly sure both my hands are the same size lol.

Basically when I make a fist the carbon instead of coming down on top of the knuckle/digit/mid finger joint/ it comes down on the side, and since it doesn't flex and the glove is super tight.. it's fairly uncomfortable to the point that I notice it while riding.

Hoping a few rainy days and some break in will cure the issue, but considering it's a top end glove I'm surprised.

As for boots, despite a bit of rain, and some abuse mine are holding up okay. Dainese Giro STs, mainly got them for the calf adjuster, but they're nice. They don't feel like an old army boot at all, really flexible. Not waterproof but your feet don't get too drenched in em. Not all that bad for walking around in either. Fit under jeans nicely, and over oversized leathers if need be.

Best bit of kit I ever had was an Irony Swatch watch, iron casing for the watch and laser sealed. It had leather straps that by the end of my army training had all but fallen off and been completely destroyed. The face of the watch had been scratched to bits to the point that it got hard to see the two hands at one point. There was dirt in every crack of it, and the battery of it was exposed at the back (which was a screw in one). You couldn't set the time on the watch either if you turned it, the hands would turn for about 5 minutes then you'd need to click the nut back in and pull it out to try again. After a while recently it started going slow, and then finally the battery ran out. I replaced it but the hands just won't go forward.

For a 70 euro non sport watch it went above and beyond expectations, if it hadn't been the subject of 4 months of constant abuse it probably would have lasted a long long time. Tried to get another one but I think Swatch discontinued them I'm pretty sure. You can still get them from online retails just search for Swatch Quaterman in google

edit ; found it http://www.swatch.com/zz_en/watches/finder-detail.sku-YGS738.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

had a pair of non waterproof Oxtar boots, that I've retired after about 3 years - damp feet finally got to me :P Boots are perfect though, and are still good as a backup set.

Oxtar changed name to TCX, and got a pair of their waterproof ones bout a year ago. Prob my best bit of gear at the moment - cant fault them, bar the ridiculously squeeky bit of plastic on the ankle, which Ive since removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

I wear a pair of German Ex Army boots. Totally water proof and the sole wont fall off. Yes they may not afford the exact same protection as a pair of proper bike boots (which I have as well) but they cant be far off!!! Fraction of the price too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Very surprised and disappointed to read that about the Dianese boots! I have the TCX Competizione Gore-Tex and they're top class! Herself has the SMX boots and loves them, very warm, dry and comfy! I doubt you'll have any problems with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I have the TCX Competizione Gore-Tex and they're top class!

Same boots i have. I cant fault them apart from the bstard of a squeak but im told a birra wd40 on the plastic sorts it, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Rafer

Hi regarding boots , if money wasnt a bit of a problem Daytona are the boots to buy. They wont leave you down. Expensive to buy but you will only buy once . Next up TCX SS waterproof boots , great boots dry and warm. I have both pairs of boots and I would buy no other. I drive all year round .
    Regards
    Rafer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

goodlad wrote: »
    Same boots i have. I cant fault them apart from the bstard of a squeak but im told a birra wd40 on the plastic sorts it, lol

Yeah, that can get on your tits a bit alright. I spray them with WD 40 from time to time. Candle wax does the job too, even more so.

Rafer wrote: »
    Hi regarding boots , if money wasnt a bit of a problem Daytona are the boots to buy. They wont leave you down. Expensive to buy but you will only buy once . Next up TCX SS waterproof boots , great boots dry and warm. I have both pairs of boots and I would buy no other. I drive all year round .
    Regards
    Rafer

Ahh yeah the DAYTONA BOOTS, weapons of choice for Ryan Farquahr and Michael Dunlop doing the road races they should be up to the job!! ;) But they are pricey alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

They look like a great boot wonda-boy. Would be very surprised if they do not stand the test of time.

• Advertisement

leppla wrote: »
    They look like a great boot wonda-boy. Would be very surprised if they do not stand the test of time.

Thanx Brian, Well I was dry as a bone in the rain yesterday but it was not that heavy either. Still that drizzle is a swine for getting in everywhere....;)

Advertisement