Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back to Eircom from a Third Party

Options
  • 15-09-2012 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

So basically; We left Eircom a couple of months back to switch to a third party (which i will be polite, and wont name) a sales rep came to the door, and basically told us we would get such and such, free and better.. the usual sales pitch - I totally would have preferred to stay with Eircom as i was used to the service and how stuff worked together, but at the time unfortunately, i wasn't the primary bill payer, so the decision wasn't mine to make.

With Eircom, we where on the TalkTime: talker plan, with 7MB Down and 512k Up for broadband, we where happy with that, maybe the call plan could have been a little cheaper, because i don't think we ever made use of what the plan had to offer, apart from the broadband, i was actually looking to increase the speed of this.

anyway, we switched to the third party, they offered the same speed, and somewhat of a similar call plan to us.

Right from the outset, i noticed differences in the broadband quality, Ping Time was ridiculously high, and most of the time, the average speed is about 3MB down, i had to re-configure the DNS settings, to point toward Google, as the third part's DNS servers, where not up to standard, constantly timing out, and when doing a tracert, my packets would get sent half way around the world, before reaching its destination, where as with Google's DNS servers, it finished in half the time.

Anyway, i think im ranting a little :D - basically, my point is, i am not at all happy with the third party, and would really like to switch back to Eircom.

I am wondering, what would the process be, and what plans could Eircom offer me?

maybe you could come up with something more suitable for me, rather than being on a high call plan, and not really using it?

Something like this:

As much broadband speed, that my line is capable of, but for the call plan, free local & national calls, and a few free mins to mobiles, should do the trick.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Hi Guys,

So basically; We left Eircom a couple of months back to switch to a third party (which i will be polite, and wont name) a sales rep came to the door, and basically told us we would get such and such, free and better.. the usual sales pitch - I totally would have preferred to stay with Eircom as i was used to the service and how stuff worked together, but at the time unfortunately, i wasn't the primary bill payer, so the decision wasn't mine to make.

With Eircom, we where on the TalkTime: talker plan, with 7MB Down and 512k Up for broadband, we where happy with that, maybe the call plan could have been a little cheaper, because i don't think we ever made use of what the plan had to offer, apart from the broadband, i was actually looking to increase the speed of this.

anyway, we switched to the third party, they offered the same speed, and somewhat of a similar call plan to us.

Right from the outset, i noticed differences in the broadband quality, Ping Time was ridiculously high, and most of the time, the average speed is about 3MB down, i had to re-configure the DNS settings, to point toward Google, as the third part's DNS servers, where not up to standard, constantly timing out, and when doing a tracert, my packets would get sent half way around the world, before reaching its destination, where as with Google's DNS servers, it finished in half the time.

Anyway, i think im ranting a little :D - basically, my point is, i am not at all happy with the third party, and would really like to switch back to Eircom.

I am wondering, what would the process be, and what plans could Eircom offer me?

maybe you could come up with something more suitable for me, rather than being on a high call plan, and not really using it?

Something like this:

As much broadband speed, that my line is capable of, but for the call plan, free local & national calls, and a few free mins to mobiles, should do the trick.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear things didn't go to plan with the switch but obviously happy to help you return the account to us. To get the ball rolling you need to contact the current provider and get them to give your UAN number (if the current provider works through the same line). If it's using a different network of cables (such as UPC) and you need to port the number back to us, there is a slightly different process. If you could PM me the landline number I can confirm this in more detail for you. This doesn't change the situation too much except for the timeframes.

With regards to the available packages and pricing, this would depend on the status of your exchange (whether it's NGB enabled) but generally the cheapest package is €40 per month on promotion (€45 after 6 months) which gives NGB Basic(up to 8mb) or Home Starter(up to 1mb) depending on the exchange with free evening and weekend landlines and 30 off peak minutes to any mobile. To make the package unlimited broadband, it's an extra €5 per month. Send me on the phone number and I can test the exchange and see what type of installation is required.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear things didn't go to plan with the switch but obviously happy to help you return the account to us. To get the ball rolling you need to contact the current provider and get them to give your UAN number (if the current provider works through the same line). If it's using a different network of cables (such as UPC) and you need to port the number back to us, there is a slightly different process. If you could PM me the landline number I can confirm this in more detail for you. This doesn't change the situation too much except for the timeframes.

With regards to the available packages and pricing, this would depend on the status of your exchange (whether it's NGB enabled) but generally the cheapest package is €40 per month on promotion (€45 after 6 months) which gives NGB Basic(up to 8mb) or Home Starter(up to 1mb) depending on the exchange with free evening and weekend landlines and 30 off peak minutes to any mobile. To make the package unlimited broadband, it's an extra €5 per month. Send me on the phone number and I can test the exchange and see what type of installation is required.

Regards

James

Hi James,

PM Sent! - Cheers!

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Hi James,

PM Sent! - Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the details, have been able to check the specifics for your address. You have what is called a 'WLR' account. This means that the equipment that is in use can simply be switched back to eircom, normally without a requirement for any 'physical' work to be carried out. This means that the above advice regarding the UAN number stands. Contact them, get this number and then call freephone 1800 566 366 to place the order. They will also go through package recommendations and advise on the cheapest/best offer for your needs.

One thing I advise before starting this process is to ensure that you won't be penalised by the other company for leaving if still in contract. If you have a genuine dispute most companies will simply allow you leave and then write off the contract penalties but I would get that confirmed first. You will need to contact them for the UAN and they will know why you need this so get some assurances while on that call and then you're good to go. If you need any more info let me know.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the details, have been able to check the specifics for your address. You have what is called a 'WLR' account. This means that the equipment that is in use can simply be switched back to eircom, normally without a requirement for any 'physical' work to be carried out. This means that the above advice regarding the UAN number stands. Contact them, get this number and then call freephone 1800 566 366 to place the order. They will also go through package recommendations and advise on the cheapest/best offer for your needs.

One thing I advise before starting this process is to ensure that you won't be penalised by the other company for leaving if still in contract. If you have a genuine dispute most companies will simply allow you leave and then write off the contract penalties but I would get that confirmed first. You will need to contact them for the UAN and they will know why you need this so get some assurances while on that call and then you're good to go. If you need any more info let me know.

Regards

James

Hi James,

Great! - Thanks for finding out for me, and the advice on what to do next.

Ill get started on the process's, as i imagine it will take some time ;)

Cheers again!

Rob

Advertisement