Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to rent in Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

You wouldn't live in any area in the Northside because of the five minute stretch between Marino and the Liffey? Weird. I don't avoid Wicklow because I have to pass through Jobstown to get there.

Like I say, I'm only delighted for the Northside to be unfashionable, cheaper rents for me, but there are a ton of nice areas, beautiful walks (
    Boatanic Gardens, Howth Head, Portmarnock Strand, Malahide Demense, the entire coast from Clontarf to Howth etc etc...), cafes and places to eat etc...

Plus not everyone works in town. I never go through the inner city. Usually if I'm heading somewhere I go via the East Link which is dead handy. I couldn't deal with endless parking permits and pay and display EVERYWHERE on Southside.

Different strokes for different folks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'll be going to a place called the Digital Hub, which is run in conjunction with DIT and is in Dublin 8. Distance wise, I wouldn't mind being about an hour or so walk from there. Dublin 7/Phibsoboro seems like a good option, as it seems like a 30-ish minute walk according to Google maps.

Are there a fair few Lidl and/or Aldi around Dublin? This is where I plan on doing the majority of my shopping.

Just to chuck my two cents in here, I have seen you ask about Stoneybatter - nice area with a mix of hipsters and "locals" and probably a ten minute walk across the Liffey to the Digital Hub. North Circular Road at the Phoenix Park end would be similar area and slightly longer distance to the Hub but not much.

There is a Lidl on Thomas Street 2-3 mins from the Hub also.

Cork Street in D8 and the older estates just off it (Tenters and New market) would also be good options IMO though possibly more expensive than the Northside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Stoneybatter is great & really handy for the Digital Hub. It has a bit of a rough feel to it at times (and there are definitely boozy/junkie types hanging around) but there's a great community living there, lots of young professionals. It has L Mulligans which is a really nice pub & a great place to eat, near the Luas line, on bus routes into the city centre and a handy walk or cycle over the Liffey to Thomas St & the Digital Hub. There's a Lidl just down the road from the Digital Hub so if you have a bike shopping will be handy

What is Cabra like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

There are nice areas on the Northside, was in Mariono on Satruday and it was a lovely spot. The only problem is that the North inner city is a kip, the streets are irty, the buildings are falling apart and there is a lot of scumbags and junkies screaming across the streets.
    And you can't get from these nice spots on the north side to the city centre without passing through these kips. Personally I like areas that are aesthetically pleasing and on my way to work (from the southside to the Northside) I like to pass through pleasent places with good looking people - I hate walking around on the Northside, it's just depressing. Most of course are sound but enough scumbags/no hopers to be visible at all times
    Call me a d1ck but I would only live on the south side, most areas are nice and surrounded by nice areas, great places to eat and walk and the south innercity is lovely

so all around thomas street, cork street and the pearse street area is lovely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

IF you are moving to dublin and are considering moving somewhere else other than the areas surrounding both canals (i.e more than 3.5k from the city centre) the benefits of moving will be reduced.

Ive lived in Dublin 6 for a few years and its great, I lived in Dublin 3 for a year, it was also great. I wouldnt bother moving up unless it was to dublin 1,2,3,4,6 or 8. Everything else would bother me in terms of transport an facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

What is Cabra like?

Phibsboro would probably be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

What is Cabra like?

Cabra's a bit far out if you're planning to walk. The Navan Road is a busy bus corridor though. There's no Lidl/Aldi in Cabra, so you'd have to do your shopping in town. In my experience of Cabra (I went out with someone from there for a few years), the pubs aren't much craic, can be a bit rough and they'd be quite "clannish". Stoneybatter is only down the road from Cabra but it's got a much younger vibe to it, it's closer to town and it's got some great pubs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What is Cabra like?

This is a picture of the local train station.

It's the only one I've seen in Dublin that is in such a state.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I'll be going to a place called the Digital Hub, which is run in conjunction with DIT and is in Dublin 8. Distance wise, I wouldn't mind being about an hour or so walk from there. Dublin 7/Phibsoboro seems like a good option, as it seems like a 30-ish minute walk according to Google maps.

Are there a fair few Lidl and/or Aldi around Dublin? This is where I plan on doing the majority of my shopping.

I would try Stoneybatter/Grangegorman/Smithfield as well, I live in Stoneybatter and it would be really handy for the Digital Hub and you have an Aldi or a Lidl on your way home from work too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

I've friends who live there / dated girls from there and I've never had anything too bad happen to me in those places but they do have a nasty vibe you have to admit, and statistically they're crime and gang hotspots (not trying to **** on where anybody lives here, just giving my two cents to the OP) I've had friends robbed at knifepoint on Sherrif St, a mate got beaten to a pulp in the early hours about a year ago in Drimnagh and I've been chased by a gang of feral youths in Finglas on my way to a mate's party at like 9pm

That's the nice thing bout Dublin though, you're pretty much only going to be shot if you're involved in drugs etc - never really hear of innocent victims of gun crime. LA was an eye opener in that regard:eek:

I'd say you and your mates are very unlucky....or maybe you're talking out your arse.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 uursula

I would also recommend the Stoneybatter/NCR area. It is very quiet, rent is so much cheaper and there is a community vibe around the place. I have lived on the NCR for 3 years and I would hate to have to move.

I'm now looking into Dublin 9. Is Drumcondra/Glasnevin an OK area?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'm now looking into Dublin 9. Is Drumcondra/Glasnevin an OK area?

Yeah both are lovely. I live in Drumcondra, there are loads of buses, as well as the train. Really close to town, a few decent pubs and restaurants. I'm in a gated apartment block so I can't really comment on safety in the area but as far as I can see it seems like quite a safe area to live, I don't hear of any trouble around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Drumcondra & glasnevin are very nice areas. Drumcondra has a nice busyness to it, it can almost seem like the city centre at certain times of day. The drawback being that it can be a little noisy (if you're on one of the main roads). Still though, I'd live there in a heartbeat. There's good shops, good pubs, good connections into town. A lot of students in the area (which you may choose to see as a good thing or a bad thing!) I know a few people who live on clonliffe road, and they like it there.

One warning about NCR is that the quality of apartments can be quite poor (plenty of them on the 'funny places to rent' thread in AH).

Also you'll need to increase your budget, but I think its worth paying a little more for an apartment you can live in comfortably and happily.

(I'd also like to nominate dolphin's barn as another place to avoid!)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sandra0701

The most reasonable rents that I can find seem to be in Cabra and North Circular Road. What are these areas like?

I live in Cabra Park over one month, I pay low rent for studio, which at the start looked like a hole but I changed it into place to live, with of course putting my own money in there. Because I'm a student also I couldn't afford nothing better. Honestly area obviously is not posh:), I see ''different'' kind of people, but I see also normal people in there. Good thing is that is really close to centre, there're many buses, tesco, etc. Only one thing which terrified me very much is that I've got notice from D.S.P.C.A, that in my area animals were poisoned. This is terrible and I'm really afraid because I have outdoor cat:( but if you don't have any animals, should be ok...if you move into cabra park, please let me know:)I don't have to many friends in here:)

This thread is actually proving to be a good help - it shocks me how little I actually know about Dublin. I'm viewing some places on South Circular Road soon, any opinions on this place? I heard there was a shooting there recently, should that affect my decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I'd avoid the stretch around Dolphins Barn and Rialto; further east and the Kilmainham end are nice areas. I live not too far from that shooting and it was very untypical for the area.

latenia wrote: »
    I'd avoid the stretch around Dolphins Barn and Rialto; further east and the Kilmainham end are nice areas. I live not too far from that shooting and it was very untypical for the area.

Oh really.. how do you mean by "untypical"? Would things like that happen a lot in Rialto?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sandra0701

Oh really.. how do you mean by "untypical"? Would things like that happen a lot in Rialto?

Shooting is always on Friday, and this one was on another day:)

Honestly South Circular Road is nice...Rathmines is nice, and as people said everywhere is something...

• Advertisement

I'm not dredging up a discussion on the person, but there are rumours he was someone known to the Guards so if this is true, it could happen anywhere really. Galway is so much easier to house hunt in, it seems! Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sorry to drag up an old thread mods... Just curious Bony, where did you end up? Sorry I was of no help with your search. And... best of luck with the digihub course.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

Is Phibsboro a good area? There seems to be a few places available there. I've no problem with sharing a place.

Old thread I know but sure what the hell, never really had any bother in Phibs however two of us got attacked the other night by a few young scumbags just kept walking as the punches came from every which way was completely unprovoked and was relitivly early maybe 10pm didn't come to much harm maybe a few bruises and sore heads but like I say we didn't try to fight back god knows what they were carrying, our egos took the biggest hiding. Also have noticed an awful lot of junkies frequenting the area around the shopping centre lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

+1 Smithfield.

Try for a share in Smithfield Market appts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 oizie

Hi everyone I will be moving to Dublin from Portugal and will be working in Digital Hub too.
    Like "boneyarsebogman" I am looking for the best place to live and work and somehow quiet.
    The difference is that I will be moving with my wife so a shared wouldn't be an option.

I would like to know some opinions in best area for renting a 1 bed apartment/house.

Thanks to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

oizie wrote: »
    Hi everyone I will be moving to Dublin from Portugal and will be working in Digital Hub too.
    Like "boneyarsebogman" I am looking for the best place to live and work and somehow quiet.
    The difference is that I will be moving with my wife so a shared wouldn't be an option.

I would like to know some opinions in best area for renting a 1 bed apartment/house.

Thanks to all.

Try around Kilmainham, not that far of a walk to the Digital Hub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

oizie wrote: »

Thanks to all.

southside of the river is just that bit nicer iin my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm gonna say something that is probably going to annoy a bunch of people but it is kind of the elephant in the room: As a rule, the north half of the city is rougher than the south. You'll find more junkies, more scumbags and more horrible accents. There are some very nice parts north of the liffey but they're much more rare. I know someone that ran a busness in Phibsboro, she hated it. If you can get a room you can afford in Rathmines/Harold's Cross sort of area you'd be much better off, especially considering the Digital Hub is Dublin 8.

Bull plop or maybe elephant plop
    The fact that you're lumping accents in with being a junkie / scumbag ( which I'd say you've a very broad definition of) exposes the fact that you're being a snob.

There are junkies in Dublin it is likely that the OP will encounter them in some guise. It's made more likely as he'll be studying in Dublin 8 (which as you know is the South inner city). However, apart from being mildly unpleasant to look at it shouldn't really impact him.

Some of the social problems emanate from 'rough' flat complexes with a high volume of people with nothing better to do than cause trouble.

Phibsboro is mostly made up of houses, to my knowledge there aren't rough flat complexes though of course there are some dodgy indviduals.

North Circular Road is bedsit land and a bit disheveled as a result.

I'm sure running a business in Phibsboro could be challenging but it's really not especially rough living / walking around there.

I've lived there before myself and have several friends living there.
    I've foreign friends living in house shares there, I know a couple with a baby who bought a house there and I know a few others that live in bedsits there.
    None of them have complained about any hassle there.

I also know people who live in Rathmines and Harolds Cross. Everything that I've said above about Phibsboro could be applied to to Rathmines or Harolds Cross too. Although in my personal opinion Harolds Cross isn't great because it doesn't have a village centre like Rathmines and Phibsboro do.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

This question has been asked a bazillion times before, but I was wondering if anyone could let me know where would be good places to rent in Dublin? As someone who was usually a casual day-visitor more than anything else, I know little or nothing about the areas.

I'll be moving up late September/early October (before the 8th of October) and my budget for rent would go up to €350 a month. So far I've been looking in the likes of Dublin 2, 6, 6W and 8, just for no reason really, but have been finding it extremely hard to know where else to look.

What areas are good for renting in and, more importantly, what areas would need to be avoided? I'd know all the areas in Galway, but no clue about Dublin, so any help would be greatly greatly appreciated!

There seems to be a lot in Dublin 7 - what are the areas there like?

Hi,

Probably the immediate area around the Digital Hub might be a bit too inner city for you.

Smithfield would be more or less across the river from where you want to go
    The vast majority of accommodation in Smithfield are apartments so not a lot of room.

Seeing as you'll be studying it'd be nicer to get a house share where you might have a bigger room or some space in the house where you can study.

Stoneybatter is mostly made up of terraced houses they might be smallish still but nice enough. It's a handy area for everything. A lot of NCAD students would live in Stoneybatter and walk / cycle across to the campus. You'll pretty much be heading that direction too.

Phibsboro would be mostly big old houses so you could get a nice house share there with a bit of space. Depending on your walking pace I'd say it'd be a 35 minute walk to The Digital Hub
    Phibsboro has a tesco and a good few discount / euro shop type places.
    LIDL and ALDI are off Parnell St and you have Moore St market as well for cheap fruit and veg.
    You could do a big shop there once a week and get the bus to Phibs

Rathmines would also have a good few house shares in big old houses

I live in an apartment so I'm a bit obsessed with space or the lack of it :)

There is an Aldi & Lidl in the centre of Rathmines and loads of other shops.

Stoneybatter has a Tesco and lots of smaller discount shops and a decent greengrocer shop. You can also buy fruit and veg from the fruit market off Chancery St.

There would also be some areas to the West of the Digital Hub that might suit but I don't know enough about them to comment

I live on Montpelier Hill, near Arbor Hill just to the right of Stoneybatter
    so if you see any places there or have any questions about that area give me a shout.

You've a good few options anyway and if you could throw a bike into the equation could even move a bit further out without too much hassle

• Advertisement
Advertisement