Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor plan with the second hand property

Options
  • 15-09-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi there,
    I am buying second hand apartment at the moment. The seller has provided the drawing without the measurements, there is only a scale 1:300 for the whole drawing.
    No sq. metres are specified in the contract nor the measurements of the rooms.
    I was wondering whether this is a usual practice? Should we buy the place with no measurements mentioned in the contract? Should the reference to the drawing be enough?
    We are otherwise happy with the place, but find this a bit strange and worried whether it won't cause any problems in the future.
    It was advertised with the information of the number of sq metres, but the solicitors don't have any proof of the number nor are willing to insert any information on it into the contract.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

melusina wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I am buying second hand apartment at the moment. The seller has provided the drawing without the measurements, there is only a scale 1:300 for the whole drawing.
    No sq. metres are specified in the contract nor the measurements of the rooms.
    I was wondering whether this is a usual practice? Should we buy the place with no measurements mentioned in the contract? Should the reference to the drawing be enough?
    We are otherwise happy with the place, but find this a bit strange and worried whether it won't cause any problems in the future.
    It was advertised with the information of the number of sq metres, but the solicitors don't have any proof of the number nor are willing to insert any information on it into the contract.
    Thank you.

It shouldn't be an issue with an apartment as you are buying whatever is contained within the walls of the property, whatever size that is. It's not usually mentioned in the contracts in any case. The measurements are generally used by estate agents to give prospective buyers an idea of the size of the property.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Quite normal practice.
    Estate agents diagrams very rarely have dimensions or even scales on them (and to be quite honest- given some of the masterpieces I've seen down the years- even if they did, I'd strongly advise bringing a laser measure or a tape measure anyway- as I've yet to see accurate ones from an estate agent).

As its an apartment- investigate the management company- get a few years of their accounts from the CRO and examine whats been happening. Find out what the story is with overdue management charges. Are all charges uptodate on this apartments etc etc etc. Its not just the apartment- you're buying into a Management Company- and you have both rights and obligations associated with the Management Company- educate yourself!!!!

Advertisement