Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree protectors?

Options
  • 15-09-2012 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am trying to think of something I can use to protect trees from being browsed (eaten) by sheep.

My ideas so far would be some type of plastic mesh netting that I could wrap around the tree, but the garden variety (if you can excuse the pun) is expensive so I am trying to think of mesh used in other sectors which would do the same job at less money?

I was also thinking of using some type of pipe, about one meter in height, but would this be too dark inside for the tree to live, it may also be overly humid/hot/cold depending on time of year. Maybe a lighter type of pipe would be suitable, such as the old type used for land drainage.

What ever I go with would need to be about one meter high. I will attach it to a post to hold it up. I will be doing a lot of planting in the next few years and the cost will mount up so I don't want to be spending lots. I am convinced (perhaps misguidedly so) that there is a cheap and cheerful option out there.

Chicken wire is too light and crap anyway. Sheep wire gaps are too big. Spiral rabbit guards don't work, been there, done that. Other guards are expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

tree guards are really a short term measure, and any type of cheaper medthod of immediate stem protection is not good for the bark/tree, such as plastic piping. Is it browsing the bark during winter that worries you? What type of trees are you planting and how do you intend to plant them, blocks lines etc.

The best method is to keep the sheep away from the trees. Poaching the soil and root damage are also areas of damage that are worth considering here.

From what I have seen wooden posts and 2-3 lines of barbed wire is a good deterrent which lends itself to fencing off areas of blocks or lines of trees. I would be inclined to use an electric fence at sheep height to bolster the deterrent, East to attach to the posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

There will be alder, hawthorn, ash, mountain ash, hazel, willow, holly - possibly one or two others.

They will be planted as a shelter belt, in staggered rows three deep, spaced 2-3 meters apart each way.

My concern is the leaves being eaten and the bark stripped. There are a very few existing hawthorn, ash, and mountain ash on site already. Once established the sheep don't bother them, but when young they're easy pickings as I found out before.

Poaching of the soil and root damage, can't see either happening.

Would the plastic pipe damage the bark where the tree comes out the top or does it do other damage?

Fencing is out, it's just not affordable for me along with other costs, whether netting, barbed or electric.

I have seen people wrap a plastic mesh around trees which seemed to work for them, they drove a post beside the tree then wrapped the mesh around both post and tree. I think they bought it with the tree, I've seen some online but there must be people using a similar material which is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Spiral tree guards are probably the cheapest option.
    http://www.tubex.com/products/tree-spirals-spiral-guards/spiral-shelters-rabbit-guards-for-tree-protection/overview.php

Kestrel are suppliers of Tubex in Ireland and they have this option too.
    http://shop.kestrelforestry.ie/easywraps.php?cat=Tubex%20Easywraps

You could also get a sharp knife and make some spirals from PVC pipe If you are really determined to save money!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

This is a cheap and easy way to protect stems from rabbits, hares, sheep etc,. and depending on the size of the trees/shrubs you are planting, for small young plants we use the large clear plastic water bottles you buy in the supermarket cut the top and bottom off them an place them over the stem for taller plants add two or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

There will be alder, hawthorn, ash, mountain ash, hazel, willow, holly - possibly one or two others.

alder ash and willow will be fast and tall
    mountain ash will be tall and thin
    hawthorn and hazel would be a mid to under story
    holly will be slow to grow
    nice mix, maby think of planting in blocks of 3's,6's or 9's.
    others that would add to mix would be crab apples, blackthorn, spindle and dogrose.
    They will be planted as a shelter belt, in staggered rows three deep, spaced 2-3 meters apart each way.

In Offset lines ie an X shape?
    My concern is the leaves being eaten and the bark stripped. There are a very few existing hawthorn, ash, and mountain ash on site already. Once established the sheep don't bother them, but when young they're easy pickings as I found out before.

then you would need tall trees to start with to be above the browsing line which will involve a greater expense and also take longer to settle in
    Poaching of the soil and root damage, can't see either happening.

Sheep grazing up to the base of the trees will damage both the roots of the tree and on wet days the soil.
    Would the plastic pipe damage the bark where the tree comes out the top or does it do other damage?.

if not secured properly it will.
    Fencing is out, it's just not affordable for me along with other costs, whether netting, barbed or electric.

taking that you could purchase smaller plants and not use any type of tree guard or support stake, are you sure?
    I have seen people wrap a plastic mesh around trees which seemed to work for them, they drove a post beside the tree then wrapped the mesh around both post and tree. I think they bought it with the tree, I've seen some online but there must be people using a similar material which is cheaper.

The removal of a stake directly adjacent to a tree can damage up to a third of the root system, thus oblique staking. Driving a stake into the ground adjacent to a planted tree's can also have the same outcome.

You will need to weigh up the costs of staking and guard for each tree vs fence posts and fence of some description.

• Advertisement
Advertisement