Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!!, dogs have broken out a few times

• 15-09-2012 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If electric collars didn't work, why would you think electric fencing would? Same principle. Have you tried a dog run built from proper dog panels, such as cilldara.ie? Very strong, fit together easily so you can make whatever size you want, and unless they go over it (which you can stop by putting a roof on) they won't be able to push it over or chew through. Used by boarding kennels, police dog kennels, sled dog kennels etc etc. Have to ask, what kind rare breed do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Electric fencing is not reliable, end of. Build a dog run, fence off the garden properly, its not rocket science. Those electronic collars are unreliable and i would never recommend them as a way of keeping a dog contained.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 caz2

andreac, well thanks for the warm welcome! :(, I only new here today no need to be rude or mean with your end of and not rocket science is this a place for keyboard warriors?!! o my god. Now for those who genuinely interested in being helpful please leave a positive comment, thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You just said that electric fencing hasnt worked so why you would go down the route of trying another electric type one? For a start they are a cruel piece of equipment that i wouldnt use on any animal.

Can you not put up proper fencing or build a secure dog run?

What kind of dog is it?

Hi Isdw, I looked at the website you suggested as I think I would need to get a really big dog run if I was to go that way. My point about the dog collars and fencing is that there is a difference between the voltage not that I want to give them a big shock!, but with the dog collars it didn't make any difference to them, I was thinking something slightly higher might do the trick like fencing they use for sheep or goats, so I appreciate your input it's something I'm definitely going to consider, many thanks, caz :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Depending on the type of dog they may go through an electric fence if they have enough determination or are prey driven by something on the other side. What is on the other side by the way? If it's farmland they are escaping onto they are at risk of being shot if they're caught worrying livestock.

Something like tall chain link fencing on posts that are buried in concrete may work for you but you would have to dig down and bury it at least a foot or two under if you have very strong dogs. If you just put up chain link without burying it they will just burrow under.

Hiya, they're not prey driven they're the opposite :) and I really don't want to say what they are!, I'm not being funny or anything but let just say they're big bears :) also my neighbour is on onside and other houses around, I have very high walls and big trees around the property also, it's just with some gaps and fencing that I've got fixed and spent a lot of money on didn't do the job I know now not to use wood or mesh! :) but I really like your idea I'll definitely look into it and your right when you mention the cement otherwise they will just pull up any posts!, thanks soo much for your help I'm off now to look into it, thanks again caz :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

How are they getting out Caz? over, under or though? how high are your fences?
    Mine is an escape artist and had no problem getting over the 6 ft back wall. We put up brackets and wire at an angle (see pic below) which worked quite well for about 2 months and then she jumped up and pulled it down :eek: and away she went.
    Since then she's only outside when someone is either out with her or keeping a relatively close eye. I can generally tell from her noises when she's getting wound up and so she's taken in before she gets to jumping point. Some shrubs have started growing around the wire now so that also helps. As a rule she's never out when we're away... not worth the risk.

F639F4B7950E4C45906018AAE805FA6F-0000331913-0002846371-00500L-97385C7261C341C29A1549AFB47DB91E.jpg

Hiya, thanks for the reply, they can go under, through or can kind of jump also they're heavy so they can't jump very high thank god!, it's just there sheer strength is a bit of a disadvantage as they can easily break down things like the kennels I bought them, they used them as toys!, so I have them in at night and they sleep on a their own mattress or couch, but they're very gentle with me or our kids and other animals, it's like they don't like new things in the garden it's a bit strange, but thank you for your advice it's much appreciated, thanks again caz :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I think for the long term, although not cheap, the best option would be a pre-built run with a roof. Some chainlink runs can be scaled so with dogs that are really big Houdinis you're better off in the long run with a solid run with a roof, check out sites like hayses modular or cilldara.ie these runs will last you a lifetime and have good re-sale value and don't rust plus you can move them around or extend them (although with the added roof not sure how that works). You can get them as big as you want as well. A strong run is really the only answer for dogs that are total extreme escape artists. Not sure how high you can have a garden fence planning permission wise but it sounds like with your pooches you'd need a prison like set up lol. So probably cheaper to get a run in the long run..scuse the pun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

What size is your garden and what fencing do you currently have? Are you looking to secure the entire garden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

It might help if you explain what you've got in place at the moment in regards to fencing?

If they're large strong bears - Akitas/Caucasian Shepherds/Tibetan Mastiff come to mind with that description - definitely not the type of dog you want wandering without supervision/control. Also high prey drives in all mentioned breeds assuming it's one of them.

How high is the fencing? Are they entire males? Could be a bitch in heat they're wanting to get at explaining why they're trying to escape now? How old are they? If coming out of puppyhood, and anything up to 3yrs old, they're only maturing. They've discovered they can think on their own without always having to listen to their owner. Again with afore mentioned breeds, all notoriously stubborn.

Don't assume either that because they're a heavy dog they won't gain height jumping. You'd be surprised how agile dogs can be when they have their mind set on a task.

Hi folks, to all those who were helpful thanks so much :) I'm getting it sorted today, thanks a mill :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    If they're large strong bears - Akitas/Caucasian Shepherds/Tibetan Mastiff come to mind with that description - definitely not the type of dog you want wandering without supervision/control.

Was thinking the same myself - caucasian shepherd or central asian ovcharka or south russian ovcharka or something similar. 80kg plus of dog is not an animal I would want to put an electric collar on. Those collars carry far too great a risk of unintended negative associations.

Wrong and wrong not those dogs, read above I explained already about my large garden and whats around it, and I explained that they're not a prey driven breed as I already state they're the opposite, please read properly before responding, I know about the other breeds lovely dogs and need a fine handler and so on, I know I did my research as anyone getting a dog/dogs should do, I know my dogs cannot jump over high walls that's a fact, I have spend enough time with them on training, food aggression etc, of course I'm a big fan of Cesar Milan have his books, dvd's and he's fantastic, you reap what you sow, I've put endless hours into my animals including fostering and rehoming, 90% out of my own pocket, so I'll get back to "my bears!" they're loving their enclosure plenty of room of course they love coming inside also :) O some cruel evil bas***d dumped kittens on the road today :mad: thank god my niece spotted them and brought the here, at the moment they are asleep on my dogs backs! lol so cute, yes my cats like to sleep on top of the dogs they're all best friends :) I can bring them around my dads cattle and sheep also horses, goats and poultry also as it's in them to protect livestock and they're fantastic with them even licking them and lying in the fields asleep near them :) as I said NOT PREY DRIVEN!!!, this thread is now CLOSED... MOVE ON.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

caz2 wrote: »
    Wrong and wrong not those dogs, read above I explained already about my large garden and whats around it, and I explained that they're not a prey driven breed as I already state they're the opposite, please read properly before responding, I know about the other breeds lovely dogs and need a fine handler and so on, I know I did my research as anyone getting a dog/dogs should do, I know my dogs cannot jump over high walls that's a fact, I have spend enough time with them on training, food aggression etc, of course I'm a big fan of Cesar Milan have his books, dvd's and he's fantastic, you reap what you sow, I've put endless hours into my animals including fostering and rehoming, 90% out of my own pocket, so I'll get back to "my bears!" they're loving their enclosure plenty of room of course they love coming inside also :) O some cruel evil bas***d dumped kittens on the road today :mad: thank god my niece spotted them and brought the here, at the moment they are asleep on my dogs backs! lol so cute, yes my cats like to sleep on top of the dogs they're all best friends :) I can bring them around my dads cattle and sheep also horses, goats and poultry also as it's in them to protect livestock and they're fantastic with them even licking them and lying in the fields asleep near them :) as I said NOT PREY DRIVEN!!!, this thread is now CLOSED... MOVE ON.

Mod note: Caz2, you opened this thread asking for suggestions. This is a discussion forum. People are discussing the topic related to what you first asked. The fact that you didn't want to reveal what breed you have was bound to prompt discussion, and with one possible exception, nobody in this thread has gone beyond acceptable boundaries within this discussion.
    With the possible exception of yourself. I stopped myself pulling you up earlier in the thread, but your last post was my final straw. People have tried to help you here, and we expect civil behaviour as per the forum charter. To that end, please keep your snarky comments to yourself and perhaps appreciate that others have tried to suggest options for you, with the limited info that you gave.
    If you wanted this thread closed, you as the OP only had to request it is closed by PMing the mod team. Back seat moderation is also against the forum charter. Please read it to refresh what's acceptable and what isn't.
    I am closing this thread now.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement