Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dutch Unleash 6,000 RFID operated street bins. No ID, No Rubbish

• 15-09-2012 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

It would take the Dutch to come up with something like this and sounds just like something that the Green party would orchistrate. Would this work in Ireland if ID cards were handed out?

Next they will be putting RFID readers on toilet cubicles. :p

The Netherlands is rolling out intelligent bins that demand ID before accepting rubbish, and let the truck know when they need to be emptied, pointing towards the day when we'll all have to pay for the stuff we throw away.

Altogether 6,000 intelligent bins are being deployed across The Netherlands, and green think tank Environmental Resource Management has calculated that just one of the cities involved (Groningen) saved itself £72,000 in the first year of deployment, and reduced its carbon footprint by 18 per cent, though the council seems more interested in the reduction in thefts of bins and ability of the system to prevent locals knocking up their own.

The robo-bins have an RFID reader in the lid, and will only open when presented with some ID. The quantity of rubbish is then used to calculate the customer's bill, but things going into the recycling pile are free - so the scheme drives recycling. The bins also know how much rubbish has been dumped, so they use their embedded phone to call up a truck over Vodafone's
    GPRS network when they're full, reducing the distance trucks have to drive.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/12/robo_bins/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Yeah, sounds great.

In Ireland it would only lead to a surge in illegal dumping though. Unless the bin actually chases you around every time it sees you leaving the house with a plastic bag, I can't see it working here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Intelligent bins that sounds like a scifi nightmare, "Just what do you think you are throwing away John" I really don't want to explain myself to my bins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

You do know that the green bins we currently have already all have a tag inside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Er ma gawd de bins er becoming self-aware! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

How do I go about getting one of these RFID's on my backyard bonfire?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    You do know that the green bins we currently have already all have a tag inside?
    These are used for ID to quantifying waste content.

They don't stop someone filling up their neighbours bin.
    mikom wrote: »
    How do I go about getting one of these RFID's on my backyard bonfire?
    The unmanned drones wll then nab you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Yeah, sounds great.

In Ireland it would only lead to a surge in illegal dumping though. Unless the bin actually chases you around every time it sees you leaving the house with a plastic bag, I can't see it working here.

We actually got a mention in freakonomics, our environment minded policy of bin charges led to a surge in illegal dumping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I can see a lot of these bins being kidnapped by traffickers and sent into slavery, or held hostage for ransom money.

Taken 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Der tukkin are rubbish!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭EclipsiumRasa

It would take the Dutch to come up with something like this and sounds just like something that the Green party would orchistrate. Would this work in Ireland if ID cards were handed out?

Next they will be putting RFID readers on toilet cubicles. :p

The Netherlands is rolling out intelligent bins that demand ID before accepting rubbish, and let the truck know when they need to be emptied, pointing towards the day when we'll all have to pay for the stuff we throw away.

Altogether 6,000 intelligent bins are being deployed across The Netherlands, and green think tank Environmental Resource Management has calculated that just one of the cities involved (Groningen) saved itself £72,000 in the first year of deployment, and reduced its carbon footprint by 18 per cent, though the council seems more interested in the reduction in thefts of bins and ability of the system to prevent locals knocking up their own.

The robo-bins have an RFID reader in the lid, and will only open when presented with some ID. The quantity of rubbish is then used to calculate the customer's bill, but things going into the recycling pile are free - so the scheme drives recycling. The bins also know how much rubbish has been dumped, so they use their embedded phone to call up a truck over Vodafone's
    GPRS network when they're full, reducing the distance trucks have to drive.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/12/robo_bins/

Sounds like a laughably easy system to exploit for any hackers seeking to perform a high profile prank at the cost of the Dutch government's reputation. Copying the data broadcast by RFIDs is closer to say backing up your data than it is to say counterfeiting banknotes.

Additionally, this is a great way to turn every tourist into a litter bug, since they won't have much alternative. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

We find it hard enough to get people to put rubbish in free street bins.

Sounds like a laughably easy system to exploit for any hackers seeking to perform a high profile prank at the cost of the Dutch government's reputation. Copying the data broadcast by RFIDs is closer to say backing up your data than it is to say counterfeiting banknotes.

Additionally, this is a great way to turn every tourist into a litter bug, since they won't have much alternative. :rolleyes:
    They would probably make them compatible with passports and foreign embedded ID cards. They would also need to come up with some kind of a loyalty system to entice people to use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ireland's answer seems to be getting rid of recycling areas altogether, so feck knows where the rubbish is going now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Jimoslimos wrote: »

The Brown,Black and Green all have chips inside them.

They would probably make them compatible with passports and foreign embedded ID cards. They would also need to come up with some kind of a loyalty system to entice people to use them.

Right, but if you have a bin that can verify an authentic passport, you have created a bin with components worth stealing.

Think of criminals using a system similar to ATM machines' skimmer devices stealing passport credentials wirelessly, for use at a later date in scams relying on identity theft.

Right, but if you have a bin that can verify an authentic passport, you have created a bin with components worth stealing.

Think of criminals using a system similar to ATM machines' skimmer devices stealing passport credentials wirelessly, for use at a later date in scams relying on identity theft.
    This would be a concern unless they issue some kind of a registered top up card They would probably get them to work with some NFC compatible phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

bcmf wrote: »
    The Brown,Black and Green all have chips inside them.

Tan bin needed. Wheelie bin wars anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ehcocmeo

Fantastic Idea... Sadly and don't take offence, but the Ireland is not top of the league of cleanest country in Europe. Local town is a mess Saturday/Sunday morning. And my town is not the only one. Remember living in Germany in the 90's and they were far far cleaner than Ireland. Go for a Jog in the local park and usually will see beer cans, soft Drink cans/bottlers, potato chip bags etc. Not a lot of pride by people here to keep their own country clean.

I see local councils removing public bins from many areas because people were using them... ?!!! to avoid cost.

Waste disposal costs money which we have to pay for. What Irish Goverment needs to do is put a price in waste, 10c return fee on cans/bottles would mean you would never see one again on the street/park river. 5c fee for take out packaging refunded once returned. etc..

Include waste disposal in house hold taxes like most EU countries do. Lived in spain and there was many waste disposal points were we could dump rubbish (refuse/Cardboard paper, Cans/ PET) People don't litter when its easy to get rid of it.

Germany is probably the best a dealing with waste.. and they have created thousands of jobs as a result. They Can's/PET/Glass recycling policy has thousands of people employed.. While in Ireland we closed our returns network in the early 80's... If coke for example were forced to do what Germany has forced coke to do then they would not have closed their bottling facility in the republic.

RFID ok.. good idea... but Ireland is bally go backward as usual in many ways.. Following parties who scrapped Property tax in the 70's to win elections resulting in a country who can't pay its way today.

ehcocmeo wrote: »
    Fantastic Idea... Sadly and don't take offence, but the Ireland is not top of the league of cleanest country in Europe.

True. But the level of local pride varies wildly. Some areas are rightly proud of their local environment.
    Local town is a mess Saturday/Sunday morning. And my town is not the only one. Remember living in Germany in the 90's and they were far far cleaner than Ireland. Go for a Jog in the local park and usually will see beer cans, soft Drink cans/bottlers, potato chip bags etc. Not a lot of pride by people here to keep their own country clean.

I see local councils removing public bins from many areas because people were using them... ?!!! to avoid cost.
    I don't know who is responsible for where bins are and aren't; a problem in itself. I know one spot near the Blanchardstown Centre with 2 bins within 20' of each other; but not another one for a half mile after that.
    Waste disposal costs money which we have to pay for. What Irish Goverment needs to do is put a price in waste, 10c return fee on cans/bottles would mean you would never see one again on the street/park river. 5c fee for take out packaging refunded once returned. etc..

Include waste disposal in house hold taxes like most EU countries do. Lived in spain and there was many waste disposal points were we could dump rubbish (refuse/Cardboard paper, Cans/ PET) People don't litter when its easy to get rid of it.

Germany is probably the best a dealing with waste.. and they have created thousands of jobs as a result. They Can's/PET/Glass recycling policy has thousands of people employed.. While in Ireland we closed our returns network in the early 80's... If coke for example were forced to do what Germany has forced coke to do then they would not have closed their bottling facility in the republic.

RFID ok.. good idea... but Ireland is bally go backward as usual in many ways.. Following parties who scrapped Property tax in the 70's to win elections resulting in a country who can't pay its way today.
    I'd rather see more local accountability for littering rather that adding in tech with no track record. I'd also like to see local areas rewarded for maintaining standards; even if its just that the Ard Fhéis or whatever is hosted their for the benefit of the local economy.

RFID bins? I think its a boondoggle we could do without and a needless privacy invasion, but if the Dutch want to fund experimental fringe tech I hope they at least make clear what its exactly supposed to achieve and by when it is expected to achieve it.

I have many things to worry about, hundreds in fact, but a bin with RFID chips is not bloody one of them.

FFS ::D :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Wheelie bins in Ireland are already micro-chipped with customer details, a truck won't lift them if it doesn't recognise the chip or the customer has been listed as not paying their bills. I haven't been to The Netherlands but I would assume reading this they operate the same waste collection service as many other European countries where household waste is collected from communities rather than individuals, in which case they're only trying to make people pay according to the service they receive, it's only fair really, and pay by weight systems tend to decrease waste production and responsible customer's bills so it should be a win win. This wouldn't apply to litter bins, so it won't affect tourists.

Somebody mentioned waste services being included in our taxes, nice idea, if the industry wasn't mostly private in Ireland, and thank jebus it is because it's held to a much higher standard because of it. It was also implied that the state doesn't charge us for what we dispose of, they do, very highly in fact, there is a tax on waste entering landfill, it was one of the ones to be hiked astronomically in recent years, hence your bin charges going up as costs filtered down to consumers.

Wheelie bins in Ireland are already micro-chipped with customer details, a truck won't lift them if it doesn't recognise the chip or the customer has been listed as not paying their bills. I haven't been to The Netherlands but I would assume reading this they operate the same waste collection service as many other European countries where household waste is collected from communities rather than individuals, in which case they're only trying to make people pay according to the service they receive, it's only fair really, and pay by weight systems tend to decrease waste production and responsible customer's bills so it should be a win win. This wouldn't apply to litter bins, so it won't affect tourists.

The smart Bin in the image looks quite small for a communal bin, two or three black bin bags would fill it unless it has a built in compactor. :p

http://i50.tinypic.com/zush82.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

The smart Bin in the image looks quite small for a communal bin, two or three black bin bags would fill it unless it has a built in compactor. :p

http://i50.tinypic.com/zush82.jpg

They are small all right but they are a response to individuals stealing others bins and the servicing of unofficial ones, operable only by locals living in the immediate area, so as far as I can see they can only be for household rubbish as these are issues specific to domestic collection, unless the Dutch version of drunk students nicking road signs involves litter bins that is...

Also, there does seem to be a few of them together in any picture I've seen, which again suggests community service rather than jazzed up litter bins.

Is there a better word or phrase for something you chuck an empty food wrapper into on the side of the street than "litter bin"? I feel like I'm back in primary school typing that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Yeah, sounds great.

Anybody who mutilates Ireland with rubbish like that should be shot through the face, no questions asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

okay guys. i buy stuff from holland through work. and the truck driver is amazed at how filthy we are. he cant believe the amount of litter he sees as soon as he gets of the ferry.

we are a filthy race. that includes me too. and i never litter, but the rest of you guys are dragging me down. heads out of the ground lads, we are apparently a filthy race.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

emo72 wrote: »
    okay guys. i buy stuff from holland through work. and the truck driver is amazed at how filthy we are. he cant believe the amount of litter he sees as soon as he gets of the ferry.

we are a filthy race. that includes me too. and i never litter, but the rest of you guys are dragging me down. heads out of the ground lads, we are apparently a filthy race.

Yeah thats it ...you're a dirty boy...from a filthy race..say it....say it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Rigol wrote: »
    Yeah thats it ...you're a dirty boy...from a filthy race..say it....say it

yeah...we're filthy feckers. im a filthy fecker.:o

emo72 wrote: »

Yeah. That's great. Wake me up when people are tired of showing how hilarious and self-deprecating we all are and would like to actually reduce litter.

Oh, wait. This is after hours. /b/egorrah :rolleyes:

Advertisement