Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Iphone from USA Unlocked

• 15-09-2012 5:09pm

if i bought a used iphone 4 or 4s unlocked for usa will it work here

i read online to save money buy a used one on ebay make sure its unlocked so it would take any sim

is this correct

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

tajd wrote: »
    if i bought a used iphone unlocked for usa will it work here

i read online to save money buy a used one on ebay make sure its unlocked so it would take any sim

It doesn't make any sense to import iPhones any more - you're wasting your time. It used to but it's not cheaper or smarter any more.

Buy local - trust me. These devices are pointless now without always on internet features so you need a data plan which will subsidize the cost of the hardware anyway.

It doesn't make any sense to import iPhones any more - you're wasting your time. It used to but it's not cheaper or smarter any more.

Buy local - trust me. These devices are pointless now without always on internet features so you need a data plan which will subsidize the cost of the hardware anyway.

thanks for the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I don't understand. Why is it not cheaper to buy a cheaper unlocked iPhone?

And to answer his question, yes an unlocked 4/4s will work over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

These devices are pointless now without always on internet features so you need a data plan which will subsidize the cost of the hardware anyway.

Not true, I have a 500MB data add-on for my O2 talk & text plan which costs only €7 p.m., that wouldn't buy much of a smartphone! I use Wi-Fi where I can so hardly ever blow my allowance.

You don't have to take a subsidised phone from one of the networks. They would like you to think so but it just isn't the case if you shop around, especially with so many secondhand iPhones on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

It actually is cheaper. Take a look at the us price for the new iPhone 5 32gb is $749, the uk version costs £639 which in dollars is $1036!!!

I know I'm comparing to uk prices but I haven't seen Irish prices yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

jarvis wrote: »
    It actually is cheaper. Take a look at the us price for the new iPhone 5 32gb is $749, the uk version costs £639 which in dollars is $1036!!!

Us price does not include sales tax average 8%. Uk price includes 20% VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭rebelccfc

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    jarvis wrote: »

Still saving over $200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

US sales tax does not apply to stuff you buy on the internet

Didn't the OP ask about buying a used and unlocked iPhone 4/4s?

Then the price of iPhone 5 or any other new model or sales tax in the US&A need not detain us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I'm thinking of buying one here in the us before I leave....prob the 5, as I know I would like one but I will be moving to the uk and won't have a credit history there, so it's unlikely I would get one from any of the providers. If I show up with my own will I be able to sign up for a plan? Would it be cheaper than a plan that comes with the phone?

• Advertisement

avalon68 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying one here in the us before I leave....prob the 5, as I know I would like one but I will be moving to the uk and won't have a credit history there, so it's unlikely I would get one from any of the providers. If I show up with my own will I be able to sign up for a plan? Would it be cheaper than a plan that comes with the phone?

The 5 does not appear to be offered for sale unlocked yet. Typically in the US, that happens 2 months after release. It will be on sale unlocked in the UK next Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

US sales tax does not apply to stuff you buy on the internet

No, but our customs duties do!

culabula wrote: »
    The 5 does not appear to be offered for sale unlocked yet. Typically in the US, that happens 2 months after release. It will be on sale unlocked in the UK next Friday.

I'll be here for a few more weeks, but if it's still not out I wouldn't mind a 4s anyway. Have a Samsung that I inherited from someone ( my 1stsmart phone), but I really hate it. Everything else I have is apple and I much prefer iOS, and I like how my other gadgets play well together. Just trying to figure out if I'd be better off getting it here or waiting until I get to the uk

No, but our customs duties do!

Absolutely but I meant when you are buying from within the US not from here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Different example but I bought MacBook Air yesterday in San Fran, Apple Store, price with tax including a cheap case was $1,144 including tax paid with my visa so will get slightly better exchange rate.

Price is Irish store €1,099 with VAT...so using xe.com & adding a little on to currency exchange I paid approx €890, difference €200 including a case.

However, Apple Store confirmed that iPhone 5 will not be sold unlocked straight away in USA so anyone on holidays or have family/friends will have to wait.

Absolutely but I meant when you are buying from within the US not from here!

You're wrong. Online purchases are not exempt from sales tax in the US. If you buy anything on the Apple store, US sales tax will be added to the price based on the shipping address in the US.

You're wrong. Online purchases are not exempt from sales tax in the US. If you buy anything on the Apple store, US sales tax will be added to the price based on the shipping address in the US.

Not true. Apart from the fact I've ordered stuff from the web and got delivery inside the US without sales tax there is this (including Apple - but that was 5 years ago so that could have changed)

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505268_162-57473677/sales-tax-on-web-purchases-could-be-coming/

There are circumstances where you do pay sales tax on online purchases over there but its by no means ubiquitous

Not true. Apart from the fact I've ordered stuff from the web and got delivery inside the US without sales tax there is this (including Apple - but that was 5 years ago so that could have changed)

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505268_162-57473677/sales-tax-on-web-purchases-could-be-coming/

There are circumstances where you do pay sales tax on online purchases over there but its by no means ubiquitous

Go on to apple.com, put something in the cart and enter a zip code. Then come back to me.

Go on to apple.com, put something in the cart and enter a zip code. Then come back to me.

Since I'm not in the US now and my IP would give that away I see little point...

I can tell you I bought an ipod in the US aobut 5 years ago from apple.com and didn't pay sales tax then. It may well have changed - but since most online purchases in the US don't include sales tax you would have to wonder what is going on there. (it may be something to do with having a physical store in a given state or not)

Since I'm not in the US now and my IP would give that away I see little point...

I can tell you I bought an ipod in the US aobut 5 years ago from apple.com and didn't pay sales tax then. It may well have changed - but since most online purchases in the US don't include sales tax you would have to wonder what is going on there. (it may be something to do with having a physical store in a given state or not)

I live in the US and every time I buy something online it asks for my zip code when calculating price, so tax is charged .....luckily I live in a state with no sales tax, but when I lived elsewhere, the tax was added on. The only benefit to buying direct here is you deal with apple if something goes wrong, rather than having to deal with best buy etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement