Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islands off Dublin: who owns them?

Options
  • 15-09-2012 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

I've just been reading about islands off Ireland's coast, and came across a 'micronation' in the shape of the Saltee Islands/Na Sailtí off Wexford. It is owned by "Prince Michael" Neale and his family and is called the Principality of the Saltee Islands. It is open to the public and has a fascinating bird life, apparently. Anyway, I'm finding it difficult to discover the ownership of some of the islands off Dublin.

1) Lambay Island/Reachrainn is owned by an heir to the Baring family of Barings Bank infamy, Margaret Kelly and her husband Patrick Kelly. The Barings bought it in 1904 and the public is forbidden access.

2) Ireland's Eye/Inis Mac Neasáin is owned by the Norman-Irish St Lawrence family which have held the earldom of Howth since the 1400s and still live in Howth Castle. It is open to the public.

3) Rockabill island/Cloch Dábhiolla (off Skerries) is owned by the Commissioners of Irish Lights and a lighthouse is still there.

4) Bull Island/Oileán an Bhulla (off Clontarf) is owned by DCC.

But does anybody know who owns the following four islands?

1) Colt Island/Inis Coilt (off Skerries)

2) St Patrick's Island/Inis Pádraig (off Skerries)

3) Shenick Island/Oileán Sionnaigh (off Skerries)

4) Dalkey Island/Oileán Dheilginse (off Dalkey)

Two other questions:

1) There is a lovely stone ruin of a house on Ireland's Eye. Does anybody know when the last people lived on Ireland's Eye?

2) There is another ruin of a house on Dalkey Island. Does anybody know when the last people lived on that island?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Seanchai wrote: »
    1) There is a lovely stone ruin of a house on Ireland's Eye. Does anybody know when the last people lived on Ireland's Eye?

It's actually the ruin of St Nessan's church (the Church of the Three Sons of Nessan) or the Martello tower if you're referring to the round one.

Iirc Ireland's Eye used to have 2 postal districts: Ireland's Eye and the Thulla (green islet on the south of the island). However, I don't think it was properly inhabited bar the church and the Martello tower though the church was once the parish church for Howth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

a 'micronation' in the shape of the Saltee Islands/Na Sailtí off Wexford. It is owned by "Prince Michael" Neale and his family and is called the Principality of the Saltee Islands.

Cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

The link below says Birdwatch ireland owns shenick island,

http://irishislands.info/skerries.html

Im not sure about the other 3 islands, im pretty sure there were sheep being put on colt island a few years ago, so im assuming a farmer owned/owns it,
    i have seen it mentioned that the 3 islands off skerries are privately owned and you need permission to land there, it dosent say who owns them though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lambay has lots of buildings on it. Good place to stay if there's a zombie invasion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Toirdhealbhach Tadhg O Caoindealbhain

2) There is another ruin of a house on Dalkey Island. Does anybody know when the last people lived on that island?

That's St. Begnets church, 9th century. I'm not sure when it was ruined, but in 1804, the men who built the Martello tower put a roof, fireplace, windows and a door on it. It has since fallen back into ruin.

They were probably the last 'residents' of the island. Before that, who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Dalkey Island is ruled by one of the worlds few democratically elected kings, or to use the full title, King of Dalkey, Emperor of the Muglins, Prince of the Holy Island of Magee, Baron of Bulloch, Seigneur of Sandycove, Defender of the Faith and Respector of All Others, Elector of Lambay and Ireland's Eye, and Sovereign of the Most Illustrious Order of the Lobster and Periwinkle.
    http://www.dalkeyhomepage.ie/kingofdalkey.html

He doesn't own it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As far as I am aware Colt, St Patrick's & Shenick are in the care of Fingal Co Council. A call to the Parks Department will probably confirm this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

This is an interesting thread, I've always been facinated with Lambay but didn't realise there were islands off Skerries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Cienciano wrote: »
    Lambay has lots of buildings on it. Good place to stay if there's a zombie invasion

i used to fish a lot around lambay, there is a huge amount of wallabies on the island too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

recedite wrote: »
    Dalkey Island is ruled by one of the worlds few democratically elected kings, or to use the full title, King of Dalkey, Emperor of the Muglins, Prince of the Holy Island of Magee, Baron of Bulloch, Seigneur of Sandycove, Defender of the Faith and Respector of All Others, Elector of Lambay and Ireland's Eye, and Sovereign of the Most Illustrious Order of the Lobster and Periwinkle.
    http://www.dalkeyhomepage.ie/kingofdalkey.html

He doesn't own it though.

Is King Larry still going, does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Toirdhealbhach Tadhg O Caoindealbhain

i used to fish a lot around lambay, there is a huge amount of wallabies on the island too

Nobody ever believes me when I tell them there are wild wallabies on Lambay!

6195745.jpg?181

Anyone have any better pics? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Nobody ever believes me when I tell them there are wild wallabies on Lambay!

6195745.jpg?181

Anyone have any better pics? :p

apparently they over bread in the zoo so they were placed on the island

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lambay Island/Reachrainn is owned by an heir to the Baring family of Barings Bank infamy, Margaret Kelly and her husband Patrick Kelly. The Barings bought it in 1904 and the public is forbidden access
    ...without permission. They are quite hospitable to those who make arrangements to visit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

4) Bull Island/Oileán an Bhulla (off Clontarf) is owned by DCC.

Mostly owned by the city council, but partly by the port company and, I think, others.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

DRCoCo own Dalkey, do they not?

And re the Wallabies, weren't they moved during ww1 for fear of being eaten by the hungry populous (or is that just an urban legend)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I read somewhere that they were moved during a foot and mouth epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bull Island (or part of it) used to be part of the Guiness estate when they owned what is now St Annes Park. They leased out the land originally of what is st annes golf club which I think the club now own.

The Laurences still own Irelands eye and if you want to camp on the island you have to get their permission.

I think the guy who owned lambay died last year and his children have now inherited the island but they live in the uk

Advertisement