Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany owes Greece €162billion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Can we try this on the English...like 162 billion for four years.... what's 150 times that... in cents please---

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'm pretty sure all compensation issues after WWII have already been dealt with (though I think they are still paying Israel).

Also, that site looks dodgy as anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if the Greeks are going down this road the Euro is finished. We are fkuced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm pretty sure all compensation issues after WWII have already been dealt with (though I think they are still paying Israel).

Afaik, they've only just finished paying reparations for WW1, so I doubt they're done with WW2 yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

The French extorted 150million gold francs from Haiti in 1804 for compensation for the loss of slaves and trade after a successful slave revolt.

With interest Haiti only finished paying it in 1947, it was such a huge sum Haiti never got off its feet and is still one of the poorest countries on Earth.

In 2010 a EU wide petition by artists and intellects urged the french Government to pay it back in the form of Earthquake relief, the sum was about 17 billion.

The french government said would yiz go and Fook Off, the germans will say the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ehcocmeo

Voltex wrote: »

Pity they never invaded Ireland and we could join the bandwagon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The Greeks can then compensate Turkey & Iran for ending the Persian Empire quite violently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Colmustard wrote: »

The french government said would yiz go and Fook Off, the germans will say the same.

Iran should demand money from Greece for the damage done by Alexander the Great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Everyone is going to sue Ethiopia at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Came across the story in the FT today...just followed up on it.
    Just thought there was a certain irony to the whole thing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That was claimed as popular opinon in Greece a few months back. A lot are angry about being lectured to by a country that caused huge damage to Greece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

A line was drawn under the reparations payments a few years ago = feck of Greeko, go sell yer marbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/09/12/does-germany-really-owe-greece-a-etrillion-in-war-reparations-probably-not-no/
    The problem with the $7.1 billion is that that is what was demanded at one point in the negotiations over Germany’s reparations after the war. However, at least as far as can be seen, that number was rejected. The actual award was $45 million. A very different sum indeed and one apparently covered by negotiations and payments in the 1950s and in 1990.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Peace_Treaties,_1947
    The war reparation problem proved to be one of the most difficult arising from post-war conditions. The Soviet Union, the country most heavily ravaged by the war, felt entitled to the maximum amounts possible, with the exception of Bulgaria, which was perceived as being the most sympathetic of the former enemy states. In the cases of Romania and Hungary, the reparation terms as set forth in their armistices were relatively high and were not revised.
    War reparations at 1938 prices in US$ amounts:
    $360,000,000 from Italy:
    $125,000,000 to Yugoslavia;
    $105,000,000 to Greece;
    $100,000,000 to the Soviet Union;
    $25,000,000 to Ethiopia;
    $5,000,000 to Albania.
    $300,000,000 from Finland to the Soviet Union;
    $300,000,000 from Hungary:
    $200,000,000 to the Soviet Union;
    $100,000,000 to Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia.
    $300,000,000 from Romania to the Soviet Union;
    $70,000,000 from Bulgaria:
    $45,000,000 to Greece;
    $25,000,000 to Yugoslavia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

(though I think they are still paying Israel).
    Oh they certainly are!;)

Advertisement