Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate Cinema technical issues.

Options
  • 15-09-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I took a trip in to see Dredd for the 2nd time today in the gate. After 2 commercials the screen went completely dark and what i recognised as the movies intro music started playing, problem was the screen stayed dark. Then the intro voice-over began with the screen still completely dark.

At this point I ran out to inform the staff. after about 5 mins the picture appeared. I fully expected them to restart the film but no, it just was left run.

After another few mins i realised that there were big problems with the sound mix and loads of clipping and distortion from the sound system which was getting progressively worse over the course of the movie.

I went out again and was told they had new projectors installed which had given them some issues during the week and they'd make calls/sort it out.
    The problems continued and again got worse. I went out again and asked to speak to a manager only to be told none were available.
    In the end I sat through it despite my inclination to leave as I was in company who wanted to stay despite their also being unhappy with the sound.

Had a similar experience there last year taking my good lady to see black swan, the front speakers were left off for about 15mins into the movie resulting in absolutely no dialogue. We got a refund and left that time and went to mahon instead. Again the movie was just left playing and not restarted after they'd fecked up the start.

I've mailed them to have an auld vent for myself (big Judge Dredd fan, was more excited to see this the second time!).
    Anyone else have issues like this with the gate? I usually make the trek to blackpool, despite living on the southside, as it's usually much quieter and they do a good deal on a monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

They did all that on purpose just to upset you, so that you could come on here moaning. You would have been better off getting a refund like you did previously and left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

**** happens. Just get a refund and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'm afraid you get what you pay for. Was in that cinema once before and found the sound terrible.

I always go to mahon point best cinema around and worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Room 201

Dermighty wrote: »
    **** happens. Just get a refund and leave.

As stated in my initial rant, that was my preference but I was with others who agreed it was annoying but still wanted to see the end of the film, I was the only one who'd seen it already. Had I gone alone as planned thats what I would have done.
    jamesbere wrote: »
    I'm afraid you get what you pay for. Was in that cinema once before and found the sound terrible.

I always go to mahon point best cinema around and worth the money.

Like I said earlier, I usually make the trip out to blackpool. Never had a problem out there and it's generally pretty quiet with attentive audiences.
    Went there in the early afternoon on the day the dark knight rises was released and shared a screen with about a dozen others, perfect!

I was more curious to see if others had had similar problems in the gate as my last two visits were tainted by fairly serious technical problems.

Would anyone else feel that when a fault like this happens at the beginning of a movie it should be restarted? Seems like the right thing to do in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Room 201 wrote: »
    Would anyone else feel that when a fault like this happens at the beginning of a movie it should be restarted? Seems like the right thing to do in my opinion.

I'm not sure it can be restarted. They're not playing off of a DVD!

I've had issues a bunch of times in there. Twice I've had to ask for refunds and there's been a bunch of other times where there was something wrong with the projection (out of focus, image not displayed on screen correctly, lights left up, sound wonky) that they managed to fix after going out to complain.

Saying that, the last few times I was there, it was fine. I think one of the speakers in screen 1 or 2 is definitely bust though, I sometimes strain to hear dialogue in non-action scenes. And going out to complaing is bloody annoying as you miss part of the film.

• Advertisement

Fuzz McG wrote: »
    I'm not sure it can be restarted. They're not playing off of a DVD!

You'd think having digital projectors and whatnot it would be possible. I'd understand if someone had to go away and roll up a reel to get it going again. Truthfully I'd not really considered it, not had many bad cinema experience that weren't caused by other partons!
    I think one of the speakers in screen 1 or 2 is definitely bust though, I sometimes strain to hear dialogue in non-action scenes.

Based on what I heard yesterday afternoon I'd say they're at risk of serious damage to their sound system.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Blackpool is the place to go, it's always empty so you get a quiet film, no stupid laughers etc.

You'd think having digital projectors and whatnot it would be possible. I'd understand if someone had to go away and roll up a reel to get it going again. Truthfully I'd not really considered it, not had many bad cinema experience that weren't caused by other partons!

I'm not 100% sure how digital distribution works though when it comes to cinemas. I'd very much doubt that they download a file and get to keep it; more likely that it's got DRM all over it and can only be played once, allowing the distributor to keep track of how many showings each individual cinema does each day etc. "Restarting" it would possibly require the cinema to pay for a whole new 'copy'.

yenom wrote: »
    Blackpool is the place to go, it's always empty so you get a quiet film, no stupid laughers etc.

Yeah, guess I'll just not save the shoe leather and continue hoofing it out there for films.
    I'm not 100% sure how digital distribution works though when it comes to cinemas. I'd very much doubt that they download a file and get to keep it; more likely that it's got DRM all over it and can only be played once, allowing the distributor to keep track of how many showings each individual cinema does each day etc. "Restarting" it would possibly require the cinema to pay for a whole new 'copy'.

Your probably close, I recall reading of a plan to have digital projectors with a satellite link so films could be broadcast to cinemas globally from the studios.

To go off topic for a bit, have you seen Dredd yet Fuzz? I know your a comic fan, what did you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Normally I really like the Gate, but I was at that screening too and was disappointed about both things you mention. I love to go to the cinema. Like all businesses, they should focus on quality to keep their customers. I'm hoping it was just a one off, particularly if they got new projectors in last week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hows business in the gate these days?haven't been in there in a yr I'd say

To go off topic for a bit, have you seen Dredd yet Fuzz? I know your a comic fan, what did you think?

Oh I really liked it! Need to see it again though without my fanboy hat on. Thought all the actors were fantastic, great villain and they pretty much got the character and feel down perfectly. I loved how the film just throws you right in there, no origin bull**** or moping around like other comic book films. Great score too!

I do think the action scenes could have been a bit better or more varied though, there were a few repetitive scenes in the middle of the film of Dredd walking around dark corridors shooting people. And obviously I would have liked to see a bit more of Mega-City One and the crazier side of things. The slo-mo scenes were really something though. I hate 3D but it really worked well for those parts.

Hopefully it will do really well and we'll get the bigger, madder sequel!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TheMutations

If it was a digital print then it should have been easy to restart, as the DRM is generally time dependent; e.g. you get the rights to show a film for three weeks, after which the file becomes unusable. The film can be rewound, paused , fast forwarded, and restarted.

However if the film was projected on 35mm film then it can't be restarted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Modern 3D movies like the RealD system require digital projection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

On a couple of occasions I've attended movies there where they've had a Dolby Surround Sound sign displayed outside the screen entrance and yet throughout the entire movie the sound has come only from the front speakers. In each of my recent experiences the place been fairly filthy. Sticky crap at the bottom of cup holders and/or rubbish squeezed in to them and/or scattered around the floor. Whatever effort they make to clean and tidy the theatres between screenings is not very evident. The Triskel aside, it's the only cinema in the city centre so it's probably guaranteed steady footfall dispite the poor upkeep which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

If you think the gate is bad, you should try Douglas! Non-tiered seats, bad sound and old outdated screens...try to avoid seeing movies there if I can!
    MP is definitely the best to see a movie, but the food prices are insanely extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dj_

I tried to go see Dredd last Friday at the gate only to be told the showing was cancelled due to technical problems and they couldn't tell me when it would be fixed.

Went back on Sunday to watch it and was warned on the way into it about the sound issues. The girl at the ticket counter also told us if the sound annoyed us we could walk out and get a refund. The clipping/distortion during the action scenes was a bit annoying but we stayed for the whole thing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭vrobot

Saw 'Django Unchained' in the Gate this week and even though I like going there for films, I thought the sound was a bit low....it's like the whole audience had to strain to hear the dialogue. Anyone know if that's just how the film is, or was it just that showing in the Gate?

Excellent film btw - would definitely recommend it to Tarantino fans

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RebelRed90

yenom wrote: »

Agree. Cant believe its such an underused cinema. Went to see Skyfall the week it came out, went to mahon first and all screens were completely booked out (i think there was like 6 screens showing it over 4/5 hours). We headed off to blackpool then and it was only half full.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

vrobot wrote: »
    Saw 'Django Unchained' in the Gate this week and even though I like going there for films, I thought the sound was a bit low....it's like the whole audience had to strain to hear the dialogue. Anyone know if that's just how the film is, or was it just that showing in the Gate?

Excellent film btw - would definitely recommend it to Tarantino fans

Nope. Typical Gate Cinema. Iv given up going there. The place badly needs a new sound system and it ruins most movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I take it this was cinema 1. Saw the Hobbit in 2 and was shocked that the sound seemed perfect. Thought they might have fixes the place up, but now I'm not so sure. Every other experience in the Gate for past 2 years has been horrible. I'm sure that Dolby have to certify each cinema that uses their sound system on an on-going basis. I wonder if it's possible to contact them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Lemag wrote: »
    ..........In each of my recent experiences the place been fairly filthy. Sticky crap at the bottom of cup holders and/or rubbish squeezed in to them and/or scattered around the floor. Whatever effort they make to clean and tidy the theatres between screenings is not very evident......

I've had the same experience there. with the added bonus of strange odours which seemed like a concoction of fart, ass, bo and other undesirable smells.

their ventilation system isn't much good either.

I remember one of the ground floor screens having really poor sound alright. Was always straining to hear dialogue in certain films. I think one of the speakers is actually out altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rob32

I have to say, I've never been in the particular cinema you mention but as a former avid cinema enthusiast (from a very young age) and from a small town, the scenario you depict is all too common, I've found the cinemas in larger towns/cities to be better with the actual showing of the movie, but at the cost of the food destroyers and especially the token " what happened dere I was on faceeeebook" ( pronounced exactly as I've wrote it) I digress to my original point, I've completely abandoned cinemas now in favour of waiting for the dvd, the atmosphere and experience aren't the same but at least if someone talks over a crucial part of the story (as always happens) I have the power to rewind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rob32

I apologise for my previous post, I've only finished work not long ago and had a couple of pints after and I've inadvertently answered with a rant! My point however is:

I think the OP is fully entitled to complain and also ask for a manager, I find it disgraceful the disregard some cinema staff have for avid cinema goers, almost as if we're a burden!!, but even in the most basic cinema once you pay to see a film you deserve to see the entire film, if a staff member makes a mistake/the equipment is faulty the customer should not miss out because of it!!! /End rant

• Registered Users Posts: 26 astronut

I went to see Iron Man there last Friday week and there was something seriously up with the 3D. Most of the people in the cinema walked out before the 20 minute mark. Very disappointing and I was quite reluctant to go back but I'm not driving at the moment so it's my only option. I much prefer Mahon Point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

i went to see star trek in mahon point in 3d and found it appalling. the sound was fine but the screen quality was so bad i could barely see what was going on. it was over saturated and so dark to a point where a african american actor was invisible. i wont be going to 3d again

Advertisement