Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin and confused about best areas

Options
  • 15-09-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi guys,

Jumping head first in with a question for my first post but don't worry, plan to stick around.

I'm moving to Dublin in a month and I've never lived there before.

I'm looking for a decent area which is commutable to the city centre with transport available by Luas, and late night buses (if I'm out at night)

What places are really nice with some local shops in the earlier, but still commutable to city centre.

And what areas are really stay the heck away from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Dundrum would tick those boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

RANELAGH, rathmines, closer to city centre, loads,a flats in rathmines.
    IN my experience buses are just as fast as the luas ,rathmines not on luas route , but any working person should be able to get a flat there.
    Theres not so many flats in dundrum.
    those areas usually,have shops within walking distance ,or take a bus to the local supermarket.
    theres more flats in rathmines than dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 irisheejit

What about somewhere a little further out like Stillorgan?

There seems to be some really nice apartments there and be commutable with about 20 minutes on the Luas. Interested in quite a nice apartment, as long as it's commutable to city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Depends on the location. You could end up with just the Luas and nothing else. Whats your budget?

Also the Green line Luas can be a nightmare to get on in the morning, past the Sandyford stop. The rare times I got it, I shuddered at the idea of having to physically shove my way onto the carriage. Most of the public transport close to the city centre can be like that.

My maximum monthly budget is 1000 euro for a place. I'm living in London at the moment so I'm well adjusted to public transport being packed with the underground here.

• Advertisement

Stillorgan is ok, Rathmines, has a shopping centre, cinema, library , i lived in harolds cross , 7 years ,its very quiet , with loadsa local shops.
    see daft.ie , or rent .ie for prices in different areas.
    STillorgan, DUNDRUM, it would take maybe twice as long on a bus to get to city centre, bus stops at most bus stops ,
    all those areas are nice , i just think closer is better ,if you can afford anywhere.look on a map, stillorgan and dundrum are way further out,than rathmines, harold,s cross, it might be easier to find apartment for rent in rathmines.
    as ABOVE all buses ,luas full in the mornings,
    so i would not like to get getting a bus ,luas from dundrum mon-friday.Every week.
    bus from rathmines ,maybe 15 mins from town,
    i hear luas is very crowded at rush hour .
    You could even cycle from rathmines into town, in summer, autumn.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Major problem with Rathmines is that there are very few apartments there going by Daft.ie. Looking for quite a nice place in a quiet/safe area. Is there anywhere else worth considering?

If the Luas is a must, then you can go through the green line stops as far as stillorgan. Add in the requirement for local shops and you are down to ranelagh/Beecheood , dundrum/Balally and stillorgan. Better quality apartments in dundrum than ranelagh IMHO but it's substantially further out. Not to familiar with stillorgan apartments

I'd consider something around Sandyford but I think I might be going too far out. Not too sure if the green luas ine would be any better than the red one.

irisheejit wrote: »
    I'd consider something around Sandyford but I think I might be going too far out. Not too sure if the green luas ine would be any better than the red one.

Red Luas doesn't have the best reputation with regard to feeling safe...

• Advertisement

you CAN Get studio,flats as big as an apartment ,similar rental price in city centre, or other area,s
    or could you not rent apartment along the quays, bachelors walk,,or near temple bar
    just stay away from wood quay area .
    OR DO YOU think the city centre is too dangerous.
    i think sandyford ,dundrum is too far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Is your budget really €1000 a month? For yourself?

You'd get a 1 bed palace in most places for that.

Yeah just for myself.

It's the very maximum I'm willing to go to. After spending hours browsing Daft.ie , because of my lack of proper Dublin knowledge, still trying to work out which places would be worth investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

The AIRO crime mapping website will show you levels of crime per garda area - might help you narrow down to one or two areas.......:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dundrum seems to tick the boxes from the little information you've provided. If you try for Rathmines etc- you're going to be going up against the student populace from Trinity/UCD etc- its a typical student area. I'd have no hesitation recommending Dundrum- it seems to tick your boxes. Personally- I'm a bit older than you are- and would better appreciate somewhere quieter- you have commuter lines going to Maynooth etc- which is a student town with good night life too- and with a EUR1000 budget- you'd blow most other potential renters out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

With a €1000 budget in Ranelagh you would get a nice 1 bed, there's a lot fewer than in Rathmines though.

Something like this but you would have to imagine it without the current tenants clutter:
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1250605

This one is between Ranelagh & Rathmines but close to everything and very close to the luas stop.
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1261430

Another one between Ranelagh & Rathmines, no pics with this but if you google images the address you see the exterior of the apartment and location. (Why advertisers don't put pics in is beyond me though)
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1253333

Another area that you might consider is Sandymount. It's on the Dart train line and has a lovely little village, there's a nice strand if you want to go walking/running and is close to the city centre.
    This apartment is just under €1000 and it has 2 bedrooms so you could have family or friends stay if needs be.
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1253333

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Where will your office be? This could help you in deciding which transport hub you will be frequenting. Also, do you want to commute? Have you considered city-centre renting otherwise?
    I'd second Sandymount or Dublin 6 areas, as they are easy walks to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Number_5

Sandymount is a very nice area - close to town. Also, clontarf is a good option on the north side of the Liffey. I am originally from castleknock, which is nice in spots, but not as close to town as sandymount or clontarf.

Cheers for the great advice.

I'm going to be working close to the Radisson hotel in Dublin and around that area. I'd be prepared to live outside the city centre as long as the transport available was regular and dependable.

irisheejit wrote: »
    Cheers for the great advice.

I'm going to be working close to the Radisson hotel in Dublin and around that area. I'd be prepared to live outside the city centre as long as the transport available was regular and dependable.

Maybe offer 1k for this one and see what happens. Signing a two or three yr lease might sweeten the deal. Cycling from here into the radisson would be a nice way to commute.

• Advertisement

Number_5 wrote: »
    Maybe offer 1k for this one

What one?

Do you mean the Radisson in Dublin 2, off George's st? Then Rathmines, Christchurch, Killmainham, Smithfield, Portabello or anywhere along the quays would suit you well.

Number_5 wrote: »

Nice place. Aren't they chancing their arm asking for 1350!! Agree to suggestion on offering less.

More interested in an apartment anyway, and 1000E is my upper limit.

Smithfield looks good. Nice enough area?

Would only be about 20 minute walk to work.

Smithfield is a great area for restaurants, bars and general stuff happening. Lots of nice apartments down there.

In terms of safety, still pretty good too?

If so, narrowed down my search then. Think it would be best choice for me?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't consider it unsafe, but it is not the likes of Sandymount. The quays are always crime hotspots but so are many Dublin spots. You have been living in London so won't be any surprise to you. For a city-centre location is quite 'neighborhoody'.

Advertisement