Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I being too paranoid?

• 15-09-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I got my first road bike in April this year, and I absolutely adore her. A YZF-R125, my dream first bike; she's perfect. I go out as often as I can, but not nearly as often as I'd like. In the beginning I was waiting for sunny days, then realised that I'd have to brave the rain eventually, so I then went out in the rain.

But my main thing is, I work Mon-Fri every week, and usually have plans at the weekend, so finding the time to get out is getting harder. I'd love to be able to drive her to work, or to my boyfriends house, but I find that because then I'd have to leave her parked outside work for 10 hours a day, (the only place I could park it would be an alley which leads straight out to the road), or else in my boyfriends garden over night, I'm way too paranoid she'll be stolen to take the risk. I use 3 locks wherever I park, and I'm installing an alarm in the next two weeks.

I know I'm probably being stupid, because really, why have the bike if I'm not going to use it properly, but I know if it gets stolen, I won't be able to afford one like it again.

Any thoughts? Should I quit being paranoid and just take the risk? Or is it better to be safe than sorry?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

You van never be to safe when it comes to making sure your bike isnt stolen so no, you're not being paranoid.
    Grand bikes them, they look savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Pipz wrote: »
    I got my first road bike in April this year, and I absolutely adore her. A YZF-R125, my dream first bike; she's perfect. I go out as often as I can, but not nearly as often as I'd like. In the beginning I was waiting for sunny days, then realised that I'd have to brave the rain eventually, so I then went out in the rain.

But my main thing is, I work Mon-Fri every week, and usually have plans at the weekend, so finding the time to get out is getting harder. I'd love to be able to drive her to work, or to my boyfriends house, but I find that because then I'd have to leave her parked outside work for 10 hours a day, (the only place I could park it would be an alley which leads straight out to the road), or else in my boyfriends garden over night, I'm way too paranoid she'll be stolen to take the risk. I use 3 locks wherever I park, and I'm installing an alarm in the next two weeks.

I know I'm probably being stupid, because really, why have the bike if I'm not going to use it properly, but I know if it gets stolen, I won't be able to afford one like it again.

Any thoughts? Should I quit being paranoid and just take the risk? Or is it better to be safe than sorry?

I felt the same way but it wears off.

Just make sure its parked where you or someone will hear the alarm if it goes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...if it gets stolen, I won't be able to afford one like it again...

Do you have it insured properly?

If your BFs place is somewhere he will be staying permanently or close to it, you could consider things like an anchor to chain it to. I think in terms of where you park for work, it's very subjective as to whether it's in danger of being stolen but all you can do is be as diligent as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

What if someone breaks into your house/garden/garage while your at work or your bf's place and steals it from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

What if someone breaks into your house/garden/garage while your at work or your bf's place and steals it from there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I think you are only feeling this way because of the way things are going lately with bikes getting robbed litterally left right and centre. TBH, I would not bring it to work as there is a much greater chance of it been spotted and planned for with the regular shift pattern. But its only a small bike is there a chance the BF could keep it in his hall/back door on the special times you ride it over to him...tell him you make it worth his while :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I used to have that feeling too. Unless I have the disk lock and it chained to something I don't feel comfortable.

In work I don't lock it. At home I just use a disk lock and chain the back wheel because I feel it's safe enough despite a robbery attempt this year.

When I'm not in work or at home I would still feel a bit worried. But at home, work and friends, that feeling went away a good while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Banzai600

Keep the bike out of sight as much as possible.

Always lock it when not in use.

An alarm is a good idea, it wll give you time to react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cantdecide wrote: »
    ...if it gets stolen, I won't be able to afford one like it again...

Do you have it insured properly?

If your BFs place is somewhere he will be staying permanently or close to it, you could consider things like an anchor to chain it to. I think in terms of where you park for work, it's very subjective as to whether it's in danger of being stolen but all you can do is be as diligent as possible.
    If you're BF is renting and the landlord won't let him install a ground anchor, I knew someone in a similar situation. They got an engine block from a big old car and locked to that. Took a load of lads to move the engine block. Once your using quality locks & chains with it locked to something very heavy it'll be nearly be as good as a ground anchor. No harm in using a cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

I'd have no problem installing an anchor in my bf's place, but I parked my car outside it and some drunk group decided to break off my back wiper. I know thats not really a big deal, but makes me think if another drunk crowd happens to pass by, then will they just knock over the bike for a laugh. I'd be done for murder. haha.

But I get the points of those saying well it could just as likely get stolen from my own back garden, but at least I know it's behind a gate, and locked in a shed, not just out in the open for them to pick it up. But then I guess it's true when they say it doesnt matter how well you lock her up, if they want her, she's gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement