Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to study around UCD

Options
  • 15-09-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looking for some places to study around UCD ideally without too much hustle and bustle 9am-5pm , away from the JJL area.

Thanks!
    -Demo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

3rd floor of the chem building is nice! I go there when I couldn't be bothered to go to the library or when I want to eat and work at the same time. We have tables with chairs on one side beside nice big windows and couches on the other side. You want the highest floor though if you're trying to study because the first floor is a thoroughfare for people coming back from the science hub and it gets pretty irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The Daedalus building. Can't recommend it enough.

First of all as you come in on the right there is a laptop area where you can plug in and work/surf away, this is the tech support area, so the staff are working away helping people with their laptops so it's not silent, but if you want to get a quick bit of work done in an hour break or something, it's rarely very busy. I use this area all the time. Best part is if you are ever having connection problems, you have 3 tech support guys ready to help.

Then you have loads of really quiet, really comfortable study rooms. Go left in the door and then right down the corridor, all along the left there are rooms with couches, chairs, tables and loads of power outlets as it's an IT building. Again there are always free places in these, and after about 3pm you can get a whole room to yourself on occasion.

The corridor in front of you as you come in is full of rooms stocked with PC's where you can sit at and work if you don't have a laptop, and all the rooms have printers, but you might be kicked out if there is a class scheduled, but I'm pretty sure it has a timetable on the door even to avoid that situation.

And even if you want to use a communal computer but are a Mac addict and don't like Windows, they have Mac SUAS stations on the left at the entrance.

I do Information Studies so I have had a few classes in Daedalus down the years, it's a breath of fresh air when your sick of the sprawling mini-cities that are some of the bigger buildings. And you don't get those annoying people taking up a SUAS station to check their bloody debs photos on Facebook while your waiting to desperately check your email/timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

i'd agree with the daedalus as well, great little spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭An Cuinneach

Upstairs in the Tierney Building, just outside the tunnel to the Arts Building. There are a few couches and tables there and I'd say for about 90% of the time I was there during my 4 years in UCD, I got a table in almost silence!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Demosthenes94

Thanks all!

Going to try out these new places this week.

-Demo

• Advertisement
Advertisement