Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canals and Hobo's

Options
  • 15-09-2012 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone explain why they have fishing rods wit them along the Canals when they're necking cans there for the day? Is it some law whereby they can't be moved on? Because the only thing you'd fish out of them Canals is a shopping trolley.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Ah in fairness I'd say you'd get a few traffic cones too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

the canals in drumcondra and phibsboro have been recently pumped with millions of baby fish, cant remember what type but if you look into the canal in certain areas you can see nothing but these fish everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

the canals in drumcondra and phibsboro have been recently pumped with millions of baby fish

The poor bastards, what did they do to earn such a death sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

I dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Why do you think that they should be 'moved on'? Because they are fishing or some other reason?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Why do you think that they should be 'moved on'? Because they are fishing or some other reason?

Drinking cans, maybe? Personally, I don't think anyone should be moved on if they're having a beer and not causing any bother to anyone but the Gardai usually beg to differ. I lived in Ballybough overlooking the canal and there'd be fellas boozing with there fishing rods all day long in the summer. Faintly depressing if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

They're not bothering me but on a point of law I'm pretty sure that drinking cans in public is illegal. Just wondering what the point of the fishing rods is, is all! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Actually the Liffey and its tribuataries, including the canals, are surprisingly clean, and amongst the cleanest rivers in a large city in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

well if they are actually hobos, the lure of a train whistle will get too much for them sooner or later, and they'll move along of they own accord

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I walk the canal quite a bit during the summer,over the last month or two I started to see these same two guys in their 50/60's out fishing most days and having a few cans at the same time.

Curiosity got the better of me a few weeks back and I asked them do they catch much seeing as they were out fishing most days.They said that they don't even have any bait on their hooks,they just look more acceptable and get less hassle from the Garda and other gougers when they appear to be fishing then they would just sitting there drinking a bag of cans or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

FensterDJ wrote: »
    well if they are actually hobos, the lure of a train whistle will get too much for them sooner or later, and they'll move along of they own accord

Was thinking that...last time I saw a hobo in Dublin it was a sold out gig and everyone was talking about Seasick Steve...

Advertisement