Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Satanic Church

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Thats one of the keys to Satanism, the fact that the name it chooses could not be accepted by mundane society. To be Satanist requires the practitioner (at least initially) to be antinomian. That means to think of ones self as 'going against the grain' of culturally conditioned and conventional norms of 'good' and 'evil'. This most certainly does not involve criminality in any shape or form, breaking the law or any of the 'satanic panic' nonsense popularised by the tabloid press in the 80s. Satanism is about setting yourself apart from fellow man, figuratively becoming an outsider, in order to gain the kind of inner dependence necessary for the work of becoming your most potent self.
    It is not for the masses and can never be, most people would prefer to conform to some outward given standard. They can never be a Satanist as Satanism is the way of non-union, of individuation and of independence. Thats the real reason its scary : )

Nicely said, but I feel the individualism is a choice rather than a necessity. I mean, Satanists DO marry other Satanists :P

Satanism is largely a narcissist's dream. I mean, pretty sure at some point he calls Satanists the highest members of the human race or something. And, to an extent, I agree; people who accept themselves as what they are, without fallacy or apology, should be respected. The sad thing is all the kids and idiots who fool themselves into it.

Not directed at anyone here, obviously, but I was quite the advocate for Satanism back in the days of Bebo, and I saw some levels of stupidity I hope never to see again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Covens are for Witches /Wiccans which have zero to do with satanism. My wife is a witch and though i think its as batsh1t crazy as any other religion and spirituality it s mostly about respect for nature and farting about with candles.

A friend of mine is a witch - seems perfectly harmless nonsense to me. As religions go i'd say it's way down the more benign end of the scale. Much less guilt ridden than catholicism for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WilliamMelmoth

Urizen wrote: »
    Nicely said, but I feel the individualism is a choice rather than a necessity. I mean, Satanists DO marry other Satanists :P
    Thanks. I mean individualism as a system of thought regarding self - deification, in other words an independently existing intellect that is of a given individual not a collective body. Not to sure what your point is about marriage mind you, I can say I am happily married a number of years myself : )
    Satanism is largely a narcissist's dream. I mean, pretty sure at some point he calls Satanists the highest members of the human race or something. And, to an extent, I agree; people who accept themselves as what they are, without fallacy or apology, should be respected. The sad thing is all the kids and idiots who fool themselves into it.
    Whilst I somewhat agree, Satanism in practice can and should lead to an individual refinement, not only should you find out your strengths and fetters, you should also be working towards a state of self evolution. To be the best You, your true self and potential. This takes contant work of course, thats another reason why Satanism can never be for the sleeping masses : )

Will

Not too sure what your point is about marriage mind you, I can say I am happily married a number of years myself : )

I was just joking man, Going to the far end of individualism i.e. being a hermit :P
    Whilst I somewhat agree, Satanism in practice can and should lead to an individual refinement, not only should you find out your strengths and fetters, you should also be working towards a state of self evolution. To be the best You, your true self and potential. This takes contant work of course, thats another reason why Satanism can never be for the sleeping masses : )

You're dead right. It's why I never abandoned the philosophy, even after I found a new religion. But it's the way it's phrased in TSB that kinda irks me, if ya know what I mean.

Also, damn, you're getting verbose :D

I was just joking man, Going to the far end of individualism i.e. being a hermit :P
    In other words, be careful you dont end up in a basement surrounded by mannequins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Incidentally, Mike Carey's 'Lucifer' is one of the best comic series I've ever read. While totally unrelated to everything else I've said, I really recommend it :D

You're dead right. It's why I never abandoned the philosophy, even after I found a new religion. But it's the way it's phrased in TSB that kinda irks me, if ya know what I mean.

Just out of curiosity, what's your new religion?

Just out of curiosity, what's your new religion?

I'm a Hellenic Polytheist... Long story :P

Cool. I'll google that today when i get a chance - i might have another question for you tomorrow!:D

• Advertisement

Cool. I'll google that today when i get a chance - i might have another question for you tomorrow!:D

Don't judge too harshly, I'm not one of those who go around speaking Greek and wearing robes. The recons do NOT like me :P

I'm a Hellenic Polytheist... Long story :P

Now you know you can't just say something like that with elaborating :)
    What in Hades is a Hellenic Polytheist?

Now you know you can't just say something like that with elaborating :)
    What in Hades is a Hellenic Polytheist?

Basically, someone who honours the Gods of Ancient Greece. Oddly, Wikipedia explains it quite well :Dhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenic_Polytheistic_Reconstructionism

I try to modernise it where I can, but it's basically just a low key belief system with the Greek Gods. I do no huge Greek rituals, no robes or even Greek language. The closest I've come is homebrewing mead as an offering. No indoctrination, no massive punishments or promised rewards, just a calm connection with the Gods and what they represent. I'm personally devoted to Apollon (God of Light and Darkness) and Eris (Goddess of Chaos and Discord).

It's a weird one, but it works for me. And it combines nicely with LaVeyan Satanism, most of the time. The Gods are far more human-like than most other Gods in other faiths, so it's much more relatable for me.

Advertisement