Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review my site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Images took way too long to load. Site is waaaaaaay too wide. Make it a fixed width. Learn how to make PNGs transparent.

Does it not look really wide to you? Are you on a small laptop or something?

Header needs a complete rework. Put a bit of professionalism into it. Shelbournes crest looks like its been through a boil wash :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭SoundFella

Media999 wrote: »
    Images took way too long to load. Site is waaaaaaay too wide. Make it a fixed width. Learn how to make PNGs transparent.

Does it not look really wide to you? Are you on a small laptop or something?

Header needs a complete rework. Put a bit of professionalism into it. Shelbournes crest looks like its been through a boil wash :)

thanks for the heads up , pictures usually fine for me :/ and load within seconds maybe its your internet connection or can someone else confirm this ? , made site myself and not great with web developing and pictures so it was the best i could do , im going to completly revamp the website for next season but its getting a lot of hits and its the best i can do at the minuet with work etc , cheers for looking at the website and your valid imput , it will be taken into consideration :D

and no it perfectly fits in the screen to me :/

You could try a 3 column design or make the right column a bit wider

Have a look at this site.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/

Same kind of layout but they make the right column wider and use much better formatting on the left column to fill whitespace.

Content is fine with really good updates so keep it up. Its already 90% there with that and Google will be kind to you with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Way too wide for me too. And I agree on the header, the images are rubbish quality. Also, that panel on the left is far too narrow. 'Contact Us' is doubled over on itself and you can scroll down the page for about a foot longer than the end of the content.

• Advertisement

exactly.

Check out all the whitespace each side of image.

Another thing you need is a background.

look at the difference a good background makes here.

http://facepunch.com/

So simple and effective. Look how consistent it makes the site look.

Wow thanks for all the replys , on my laptop 17" and google chrome with windows 7 it fits perfectly :O cheers for all the input looks like I've a lot of work to do lol

You could try a 3 column design or make the right column a bit wider

Have a look at this site.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/

Same kind of layout but they make the right column wider and use much better formatting on the left column to fill whitespace.

Content is fine with really good updates so keep it up. Its already 90% there with that and Google will be kind to you with that.

Cheers :D it's more of a hobbie thing than anything but web design isn't my strong point , surprised at the amount of good suggestions so far!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the picture , great to see how it looks on a different computer , is that a windows 98? Not seen that operating system in ages :O

Another thing you need is a background.

look at the difference a good background makes here.

http://facepunch.com/

So simple and effective. Look how consistent it makes the site look.
    Thanks will give it a go when I get a good bit of time off work :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

SoundFella wrote: »
    Thanks for the picture , great to see how it looks on a different computer , is that a windows 98? Not seen that operating system in ages :O

Windows Vista/7 with the classic theme. You should make your site a fixed with of around 940/960px wide. This is usually what most fixed width websites target. Any more and lower screen resolutions may not show the entire page, like Teyla is showing if the width is much larger.
    To achive a fixed width more easily look into making a wrapper, that holds the content + sidebars. Google will show plenty of examples how to do this.

Nick

Have you thought about converting it to Wordpress altogether?

Thats what i would do.

Way to make a girl feel bad! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

I am guessing you made it on a Full HD display hence it looks fine for you. But as the previous people have said 960px is the way to go

Way to make a girl feel bad! :D

Ah no its cool it just brings me back memories of my childhood years :P , does it still run fast? (not taking the piss just generally interested in tech)

doctorg wrote: »
    I am guessing you made it on a Full HD display hence it looks fine for you. But as the previous people have said 960px is the way to go

Yeah your bang on , going to have to re-do it to make it more user friendly , thanks for the input :)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

Yeah your bang on , going to have to re-do it to make it more user friendly , thanks for the input :)

Also, Lose all the javascript and css from the html file, put them into separate files. Not that it makes a difference but its better practice.

Did you write all the code or use a WYSIWYG editor? (Curious)

Ah no its cool it just brings me back memories of my childhood years :P , does it still run fast? (not taking the piss just generally interested in tech)

Stop it! It's not THAT old! There's a recession on you know :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 impala67

Please check out my site on the League Of Ireland
    www.loilive.com

also looking for some more workers to write posts and articles if anyones interested , would look great on a cv ;)

i checked it out simple but effective backround and colouring easy to navigate round so thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

doctorg wrote: »
    Not that it makes a difference but its better practice.
    It's best practice because it does make a difference.

Whether you consider it from a maintenance/flexibility point of view or from a performance point of view, it has advantages for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 outletd

-snip no ads-

Advertisement