Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2013

Options
  • 15-09-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭

Do we think its going to happen?

If it does what type of line up do you reckon we are looking at?
    Its the 20th anniversary of T In The Park and hopefully we can benefit from their improved line up for this year.

Acts im hoping for:

The Stone Roses
    The Black Keys
    The Charlatans

Headliners im expecting are:

The Killers

Green Day

Muse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Havn't had a chance to go so I hope its back on.

I'd like to see Florence and the machine (probably not big enough to headline anything yet)
    Arcade fire (slim since they were at it recently)
    Wouldn't mind the Killers, not a huge fan but they were great at the electric picnic.
    And biffy clyro

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Mr.S wrote: »
    Serious re-brand needed if MCD are even thinking about bringing it back.

Needs fewer stages, much more security needed, better checks going into the arena/campsites.

Solid 2 full days of music on the Friday/Saturday night with the option to arrive Thursday afternoon if you want to.

Acts need to more current and what people want, Oxegen is/was a mainstream festival. Have one "introducing" type stage for less well known/new bands.

Agree with everything with this especially the "introducing stage" like BBC do at most festivals and have it sponsored by 2FM/2XM or something. Price has to be lowered aswell .
    Also stop repeating the same acts every year (like last year Tinie Tempah, Plan B etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

They also need to stop blaming Gardai for there being no festival this year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

a few real headliners like status quo or simply red would be nice to see

make it a real festival like

as it is its just for the kids - no attraction for an older crowd

but if they got a few bands with cross-generational appeal it might work

m people, travis, wet wet wet - the kind of bands everyone likes

if its going to survive it has to have a broad appeal like that

personally id love to see the corrs back on the road and playing oxygen

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

i think electric picnic is what you're looking for!

• Advertisement

Status Quo/Simply Red as headliners? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

Swedish House Mafia should get back together to Headline

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Status Quo, Simply Red, M People, Travis, Wet Wet Wet, The Corrs....I'm sorry to say, you have seriously dreadful taste. Awful awful awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Serious re-brand needed if MCD are even thinking about bringing it back.

Needs fewer stages, much more security needed, better checks going into the arena/campsites.

Solid 2 full days of music on the Friday/Saturday night with the option to arrive Thursday afternoon if you want to.

Acts need to more current and what people want, Oxegen is/was a mainstream festival. Have one "introducing" type stage for less well known/new bands.
    Agree with everything with this especially the "introducing stage" like BBC do at most festivals and have it sponsored by 2FM/2XM or something. Price has to be lowered as well .
    Also stop repeating the same acts every year (like last year Tinie Tempah, Plan B etc)

Can't see any price being lowered if people want more music and more security. These things all cost money!! IMO it will go on but possibly on a smaller/shorter scale.

It's hard not to repeat acts as, when you think about it, how many genuine headliners are actually on the circuit at any time? Dig too deep and you end up going down the route of Electric Picnic- and good as it is there's no point in having two of them!!

I'd also like to see a 'New Band' promotion, AFAIK the Hot Press Stage catered for that previously. However I'd love to see a genuine new fresh Irish band given a 15/30 minute slot directly before the main act each night. It could only be good for the Irish music scene in general and for MCD themselves if any of them really clicked.

Can't see any price being lowered if people want more music and more security. These things all cost money!! IMO it will go on but possibly on a smaller/shorter scale.

It's hard not to repeat acts as, when you think about it, how many genuine headliners are actually on the circuit at any time? Dig too deep and you end up going down the route of Electric Picnic- and good as it is there's no point in having two of them!!

I'd also like to see a 'New Band' promotion, AFAIK the Hot Press Stage catered for that previously. However I'd love to see a genuine new fresh Irish band given a 15/30 minute slot directly before the main act each night. It could only be good for the Irish music scene in general and for MCD themselves if any of them really clicked.

I never said anything about more bands , as Mr S said downscale it with less acts , even drop the capacity if need be aswell to reduce money .

Yea i do agree that it is hard to find new headliners , i mostly mean no repeat of lower billed acts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Ummmm?

Seriously though, I would be very surprised if there's an Oxegen as it was next year. I have no basis for this, but I would guess the plan was to see how this year went and have a full festival with no camping in the Park. Of course, this can't happen in that venue now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen somewhere else near enough Dublin. Look around Europe and non-camping city festivals are everywhere. They're much less hassle for security and size and would be reasonably cheap to put on, although site rental would be more expensive in a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

laughing-person-485.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yes, yes and yes.

I think it just really needs to sort out who it is trying to target. They were still calling it "the ulimate rock 'n' roll weekend" or something along those lines last year when it was anything but rock and roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

To be honest, I doubt it'll be back next year, given the current economic climate. They will find it very hard to sell tickets at the price they were selling at. People just don't have the money and they are not going to put it on again, to make a loss.

There's a possibility it could be downsized, with lesser acts playing at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

The acts you mentioned are actually much better than the pop acts that are likely to play Oxegen.

A Corrs reunion is still light years away, even if it happens I'd say they would do their own gigs, not really suited to the Oxegen crowd imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brettharting

It might be even rougher next year.

All the usual scumbags will have had less opportunities to vent their frustrations over the summer this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 greasemonkeyd4

I agree with the changing the format of all the bands but what I think needs to be done is get rid of Oxegen completely and give the festival a new name and venue,and acts as you recomended above like wet wet wet,Simply Red,Status quo etc,and also giving opportunities for new bands to get exposure in the music scene.All brilliant Ideas I do think its VERY important that the name is changed as the people who are known to cause trouble don't always go down for the music as such but just to cause trouble as there free and wild and at a festival with thousands of people with no care for the music.I think if they do as I mentioned above that they need to market it better to a more mature audience and keep it away from marketing it on the likes of Spin and FM104 but more newstalk,phantom,2fm Q102 etc.Also I think to capture this Market Niche perhaps in the main arena make it into a food and Wine festival as well,where you can taste wines from all over the world and experience multi-cultural cuisine and gourmet food and catering rather than curry chips and a battered sausage.I think if they apply this concept they will capture an audience that are there for the love of the music and who will appreciate the true purpose of a festival.By applying this I reckon it will reduce arrests and violence by a mile!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

how about moving it to somewhere like fairyhouse, and calling it Witnness

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rg99

daft punk are possibly returning, if they release a new album this year (rumour is they are) that'd be the only reason I'd go, it's filthy and full of scum who are only there to drink and fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

wouldnt be suprised in the slightest if it didnt return to be honest. Although they might rely on the fact it wasnt on this year that maybe more will want to go.

Considering the consequences the SHM gig had for the Marlay park gigs....oxegen will be like fort knox.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 mccarroll

I agree with the changing the format of all the bands but what I think needs to be done is get rid of Oxegen completely and give the festival a new name and venue,and acts as you recomended above like wet wet wet,Simply Red,Status quo etc,and also giving opportunities for new bands to get exposure in the music scene.All brilliant Ideas I do think its VERY important that the name is changed as the people who are known to cause trouble don't always go down for the music as such but just to cause trouble as there free and wild and at a festival with thousands of people with no care for the music.I think if they do as I mentioned above that they need to market it better to a more mature audience and keep it away from marketing it on the likes of Spin and FM104 but more newstalk,phantom,2fm Q102 etc.Also I think to capture this Market Niche perhaps in the main arena make it into a food and Wine festival as well,where you can taste wines from all over the world and experience multi-cultural cuisine and gourmet food and catering rather than curry chips and a battered sausage.I think if they apply this concept they will capture an audience that are there for the love of the music and who will appreciate the true purpose of a festival.By applying this I reckon it will reduce arrests and violence by a mile!!

Oh turning Oxegen into a wine tasting festival :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Hopefully it won't happen! but I don't care either way really. I mean, it's really just for scangers that know as much about music as they do about self hygiene. The EP festival and crowd is actually no better, they just think they are. What does that make me? a moody sod I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

What I'm hearing is that it's (maybe not under Oxegen name) going to be run as a two day festival to reduce costs. Should mean reduced costs to the punter as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

AdMMM wrote: »
    What I'm hearing is that it's (maybe not under Oxegen name) going to be run as a two day festival to reduce costs. Should mean reduced costs to the punter as well.

Some of the various owners of Punchestown are meeting and word seems to be that Oxegen will be held in 2013 because they need revenue but it will be a smaller event and not held every year to minimise damage to the ground surfaces.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

will make a bet with anyone it will return under a different name this year. Will be sh1t again because irish people so not know how to behave at a festival -FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

will make a bet with anyone it will return under a different name this year. Will be sh1t again because irish people so not know how to behave at a festival -FACT
    apart from the tens, if not hundreds of festivals this summer that were great, because 99% of people who go to festivals aren't the tw@ts that go to Oxegen.

Think they are better off starting again with a new name , layout etc and try build it up again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Think they are better off starting again with a new name , layout etc and try build it up again

build it and the knackers will come

• Registered Users Posts: 8 greasemonkeyd4

Not a wine tasting festival the highlight to be music but by having something like that it will attract a much more mature audience who appreciate things more that not all but the majority of todays generation of youth.As i mentioned having stalls for wine,good cuisine and gourmet and multi cultural food would a attract a good crowd of proper music lovers who appreciate good music and would also be good to get top bartenders to make great tasting cocktails and mixed drinks like what Bacardi do in electric picnic anD indiependance.maybe get the bartenders association on board to host one of their cocktail competitions for each bartender to make their own special creation and then sell it to the audience.These small innovative things could be a way forward on looking at things to improve the crowd that attend oxegen

• Advertisement

Not a wine tasting festival the highlight to be music but by having something like that it will attract a much more mature audience who appreciate things more that not all but the majority of todays generation of youth.As i mentioned having stalls for wine,good cuisine and gourmet and multi cultural food would a attract a good crowd of proper music lovers who appreciate good music and would also be good to get top bartenders to make great tasting cocktails and mixed drinks like what Bacardi do in electric picnic anD indiependance.maybe get the bartenders association on board to host one of their cocktail competitions for each bartender to make their own special creation and then sell it to the audience.These small innovative things could be a way forward on looking at things to improve the crowd that attend oxegen

I do think if they had an festival like Isle of Wight a good mix of rock and pop more catered for music fans over "lets pay €XXX to get drunk in a field" . They could combine festival line ups of IOW,Glasto,Hard Rock Calling etc with big acts and smaller line ups lower price . 2 stages with one smaller for irish acts , smaller capacity etc

Advertisement