Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ULMarc

Synode wrote: »
    Source?

I think the lack of a source for tour dates could be considered a source?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Synode wrote: »
    Source?

http://www.nme.com/news/daft-punk/67989
    However, speaking to eFestivals, Rob Da Bank stated that he was told through official channels that Daft Punk will not be appearing live at all this year.

He said: "There's all kinds of crazy rumours flying about at the moment about Daft Punk at Coachella, and The Rolling Stones playing Glastonbury. We got told months ago that Daft Punk were definitely not touring next year, but it keeps the rumour mill going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

All started by something Rob Da Bank said.

And here he is rowing back somewhat:

http://www.factmag.com/2013/01/03/daft-punk-definitely-not-touring-in-2013/

I'm still hopeful they'll tour. Especially if they release an album

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they have before?

Yes. 12 years ago at the Grammys. A great performance by the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Joeys94

Jacob T wrote: »
    I think they should have separate dance festival (e.g creamfields) , one for the indie rockers, and another with hip-hop/pop (rihanna, lady gaga, snoop, etc)

I couldn't agree more. Seems like the no brainer solution to solve all the pettiness of who wants which genre etc. But cant see there being multiple 'mainstream' festivals this year, or in the next few years even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

Is there not already multiple mainstream festivals in Oxegen and Electric Picinic? Life Festival, I'd have thought that counts as a dance festival and Indiependence - is a festival for Indie acts.

All in all I think we do well enough in terms of the options for festivals and with UK a 30 minute flight away, not that much to complain about in terms of accessibility to lots of festivals IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Joeys94

Jeden wrote: »
    Is there not already multiple mainstream festivals in Oxegen and Electric Picinic? Life Festival, I'd have thought that counts as a dance festival and Indiependence - is a festival for Indie acts.

All in all I think we do well enough in terms of the options for festivals and with UK a 30 minute flight away, not that much to complain about in terms of accessibility to lots of festivals IMHO.

I mean multiple mainstream festivals solemnly for a specific genre.
    Oxegen and Electric Picnic are, in my opinion, mixed, and although I personally see them as better for the experience, I feel that it would be intriguing to have say 3-4 smaller festivals structured around specific genres, i.e your Sonisphere, Creamfields , Download Fest, but smaller scale of course.

And yes I know, we are lucky to have such a variety just overseas and I have been before and its a amazing experience, but it would be nice to have it in our own lovely green fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Fairly harsh to have Oxegen on the same weekend as the smaller festivals like Castlepalooza. They might suffer from this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Fairly harsh to have Oxegen on the same weekend as the smaller festivals like Castlepalooza. They might suffer from this.

MCD dont care about that though and why should they? Chances are ill still go to INDIE that weekend

MCD dont care about that though and why should they? Chances are ill still go to INDIE that weekend

I'm not suggesting they do care. They clearly don't because it is a bit of a dick move and probably deliberate too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'm not suggesting they do care. They clearly don't because it is a bit of a dick move and probably deliberate too.

It's business. I've no doubt if tables were swapped and Oxegen was the smaller festival, it would happen as well.

Corholio wrote: »
    It's business. I've no doubt if tables were swapped and Oxegen was the smaller festival, it would happen as well.

It's annoying though for people who may have been wanting to go to both. I still think I'd pick Castlepalooza over Oxegen anyway, even if it's purely from an economical point of view. Hopefully a few friends will do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

considering the lineup and type of people who go to Castlepalooza, i can't imagine too many are going to be upset about not being able to go to Oxegen....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 leesidoo

Eminem and Elton John to headline? FFS! I hope both of these rumours are untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

leesidoo wrote: »
    Eminem and Elton John to headline? FFS! I hope both of these rumours are untrue.

I personally wouldn't go to Oxegen simply because I think the majority of the music sucks! but perhaps that's just me. I'm sure I'd probably like it if I was 17 again. It quite possibly could be Eminem and Elton John headlining and if not, It's somebody who's at least as bad. My point been what exactly did you expect from such a festival? unless you're after the likes of David Guetta and Swedish House Mafia who's actually even more pathetic than the originally mentioned dross.

it 100% isn't Eminem and Elton John headlining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

it 100% isn't Eminem and Elton John headlining.

Err. I read it on rte.ie ??

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Niamh_101

Err. I read it on rte.ie ??

:pac:

Yeah but they probably got that from the Irish Times (I think) Article anyway. I will probably laugh if its true though. Elton John for Oxegen is so random and since Eminem is doing Slane, he probably won't do Oxegen but guess we won't know until MCD announce headliners.

I was joking. Only source less reliable than rte is probably the Irish times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GaryGrr

Has anyone any sort of estimate on what the price of a weekend ticket will be? What has it been previous years? though I'd presume it'll be a good bit cheaper this year given it's only 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ULMarc

something like €200

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

GaryGrr wrote: »
    Has anyone any sort of estimate on what the price of a weekend ticket will be? What has it been previous years? though I'd presume it'll be a good bit cheaper this year given it's only 2 days.

I think at one point it was €230 for 3 day with camping, my prediction would be:

Day tickets : €91.70
    Weekend (without camping) : €179.40
    Weekend (with camping) : €198.90

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Who ever runs mcd marketing/web department is doing a ****e job. You'd think they'd at least update the old website with something rather than have a page from two years ago.

don't really have much to update it with, Oxegen hasn't been officially announced yet.....

Day tickets have €100 the last few years, don't see why they would drop the price.

I'd say we can expect fewer stages, so there might be a bit of a drop in price, but still probably not too far off €200 inc. camping.

O'Doodle wrote: »
    Who ever runs mcd marketing/web department is doing a ****e job. You'd think they'd at least update the old website with something rather than have a page from two years ago.

Totally agree, the CEO of MCD announcing on radio that it's going ahead is surely enough to warrant them updating that much on their site.

Poor from them, just think they're uber cautious these days about reaction so wait until everything is in place before updating websites and social media pages. It's in stark contrast to the way big festivals in the UK behave, with announcements of the following year's festival shortly after that year's edition has finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 noseitall

Jacob T wrote: »

I sincerely hope not! Swedish house mafia in the phoenix park round 2! Never gonna happen but I think they should have separate dance festival (e.g creamfields) , one for the indie rockers, and another with hip-hop/pop (rihanna, lady gaga, snoop, etc)

I have been attending gigs/festivals an concerts since 97, after seeing the onslaught from a minority of youths at shm I agree that there should be separate dance festivals.... This ideology of bringing different genres together can only work if "certain" individual's are kept at the gates... OXEGEN 11 was a scary place to be.. (red/blue campsites).. Some people go down take too many drugs mixed wit alcohol an no food an wonder why they can't remember anything...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Jeden wrote: »
    Totally agree, the CEO of MCD announcing on radio that it's going ahead is surely enough to warrant them updating that much on their site.

Poor from them, just think they're uber cautious these days about reaction so wait until everything is in place before updating websites and social media pages. It's in stark contrast to the way big festivals in the UK behave, with announcements of the following year's festival shortly after that year's edition has finished.

But it has not being launched yet . They will update the website when they officially launch the festival . Plus they are prob still crossing the t's and dotting the i's .

You don't have to have a full 'launch' to just update the website to say it's happening again this year and dates. Even just one sentence stating that and the month when further announcements will be made.

Fine for us in Ireland with media and knowledge of forums like these at local level but if you're an American or continental European tourist that's heard of Oxegen and you go to the site with a thank you message from 2011 you might just assume it's not happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Niamh_101

Does anybody know when they'll announce the line up?

Advertisement