Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

End of this month, i think i read somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Niamh_101

End of this month, i think i read somewhere
    Oh good! Starting to get impatient :) Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Hot Press has received confirmation that Oxegen is back for 2013.

Long the subject of conflicting rumours, the shape of this year's event is now beginning to become clearer. There is a switch in dates on this occasion, to the bank holiday weekend of August 3rd and 4th, but the gig will go ahead in Punchestown as in previous years.

Hot Press also understands that there will be a shift to a dancier line-up, reflecting the fact that dance has blossomed as an area of mass musical appeal in recent years. Hot Press understands that there will also be a strong hip hop element to the festival, which will be a two-day event. The likelihood is that another festival will be confirmed by MCD for the summer months, sometime over the next few weeks, which will cater for the indie rock fans that have traditionally hitched up at Oxegen.

Watch this space.

Lucky for MCD that there are 2,000 Irish Army troops just up the road in the Curragh. Because that is the only way you could police a "dancier and hip hop" crowd in Ireland. At gunpoint, only way to control those uncontrolables.

And I say that as someone who loves both genres and grew up loving Snoop and the Prodigy in the late 90's in the days when we were all so loved up on pills that we didn't bother bringing our mothers knife collection into a gig

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

RATM wrote: »
    Lucky for MCD that there are 2,000 Irish Army troops just up the road in the Curragh. Because that is the only way you could police a "dancier and hip hop" crowd in Ireland. At gunpoint, only way to control those uncontrolables.

And I say that as someone who loves both genres and grew up loving Snoop and the Prodigy in the late 90's in the days when we were all so loved up on pills that we didn't bother bringing our mothers knife collection into a gig
    Yeah I have to agree but I don't even think it's that the scumbags like the music.
    They just go to what is most popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

you do realise that there's several dance festivals, not to mention dance gigs every night of the week in the country that don't have any trouble whatsoever?
    i'm pretty sure no-one will get stabbed watching the multiple international DJs that are in Ireland this weekend, or next weekend, or the weekend after that....
    more aggro at "rock" and pop gigs these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

you do realise that there's several dance festivals, not to mention dance gigs every night of the week in the country that don't have any trouble whatsoever?
    i'm pretty sure no-one will get stabbed watching the multiple international DJs that are in Ireland this weekend, or next weekend, or the weekend after that....
    more aggro at "rock" and pop gigs these days.

Not at all.. there is never violence at rock/op in this country.. The few times in the past 3 three years we've ahd a big dance act in the country (Oeegen with SHM, David Guetta and SHM's headline show) There's been stabbings and multiple drug arrests..
    Compare this to gigs such as Muse, Green Day, Guns n Roses, RCHP, Bruce Springsteen, Kasabian.. How many drug/violence arrests? virtually nil..

The facts kinda speak for themselves

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Not at all.. there is never violence at rock/op in this country.. The few times in the past 3 three years we've ahd a big dance act in the country (Oeegen with SHM, David Guetta and SHM's headline show) There's been stabbings and multiple drug arrests..
    Compare this to gigs such as Muse, Green Day, Guns n Roses, RCHP, Bruce Springsteen, Kasabian.. How many drug/violence arrests? virtually nil..

i've seen many arrests at rock concerts, and numerous fights, and there is often arrests for disorder offences.

anyway, my point was that "dance" gigs in this country are almost always completely safe, and certainly just as safe as any other music event. every week there's dance gigs here and there's no trouble whatsoever. there's several dance festivals here every year, like Sibin, Life, and No Place Like Dome, that pass off peacefully.
    using SHM and Guetta, who are more pop than dance, as an indicator is pretty silly, seeing as nearly every dance gig here is absolutely nothing like those. not to mention with Snoop Dogg and Tinie Tempah on the bill, they were hardly "dance" gigs. both of those were pop events really.
    saying that "there is never violence at rock/op in this country" is utterly stupid too. i've seen far more fights and aggro from pissed up clowns at rock gigs than at dance gigs here over the years.

yes, the facts do indeed speak for themselves, how many arrests/stabbings will happen at the dance gigs in the Button Factory, or the Twisted Pepper, or Kennedys this weekend? none I'd guess, same as every other weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

I love how you say "Oxegen with SHM"

It could also be read as "Oxegen with Beyonce"

Quick lets cancel Beyonce's show in the o2

I love how you say "Oxegen with SHM"

It could also be read as "Oxegen with Beyonce"

Quick lets cancel Beyonce's show in the o2
    The worst trouble occured during and just after the SHM set.(I say this as someone was at the festival that year, the difference in atmosphere and crowd during the foos, beyonce and coldplay was a lot less hostile and safer)

A dance gig is hadly what you'd call something at the button factory, that's a small time dj, just like in every nighclub. Dance gigs on a big scale in this country have been known for violence.. I'm not just saying this..
    And yes people get drunk at rock gigs, but they don't cause half the violence that you'd see at a dance gig of the same level (better now?)

Name me a rock qig which had as many arrests or public disorder as SHM or David Guetta?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The worst trouble occured during and just after the SHM set.(I say this as someone was at the festival that year, the difference in atmosphere and crowd during the foos, beyonce and coldplay was a lot less hostile and safer)

A dance gig is hadly what you'd call something at the button factory, that's a small time dj, just like in every nighclub. Dance gigs on a big scale in this country have been known for violence.. I'm not just saying this..
    And yes people get drunk at rock gigs, but they don't cause half the violence that you'd see at a dance gig of the same level (better now?)

Name me a rock qig which had as many arrests or public disorder as SHM or David Guetta?

quick quick, put in some more qualifiers as your argument is so weak. Most arrests last year was on paddys day. Maybe there was a dance dj playing somewhere in dublin so we can blame them.

Please stop peddling the joe duffy line of argument. The fact is that, as many of the reg have posted already, you'll find trouble at pretty much any gig if it isn't structured properly. The act playing is not the problem.

Also how can you say the worst trouble occurred at any particular point of any particular festival. Are you omnipresent? No, you're just making an assumption based on your misguided opinion. Keep it to yourself.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    quick quick, put in some more qualifiers as your argument is so weak. Most arrests last year was on paddys day. Maybe there was a dance dj playing somewhere in dublin so we can blame them.

Please stop peddling the joe duffy line of argument. The fact is that, as many of the reg have posted already, you'll find trouble at pretty much any gig if it isn't structured properly. The act playing is not the problem.

Also how can you say the worst trouble occurred at any particular point of any particular festival. Are you omnipresent? No, you're just making an assumption based on your misguided opinion. Keep it to yourself.

On the festival point, I was giving my view of headliners and the appearance that me and many of my friends got.

I was just making the point, that in my experience, violence tends to me a lot more frequent at some of the larger dance and pop gigs than at rock gigs of the same size, in part due to the difference in crowds.. Of course the act is the problem.. people go for the act not for anything else and lots of people at the dance gigs would only go to a dance/p[op gig and not be caught dead at a rock gig,,

not all of course but a lot..

something in the Button Factory quite clearly is a dance gig, an international DJ flying in and playing to a few hundred people. down the road there'll be other international DJs in Pygmalion, Twisted Pepper, and various other places, playing house, techno, dubstep, electro, etc. to hundreds, and no trouble whatsoever.

you keep using these 2 extremely isolated incidents to make your point (1 of which just had drugs/disorder arrests, the same as Kasabian there the next night), yet there's far, far more that happen weekly, not to mention the dance festivals/primarily electronic music festivals here each summer that pass off completely peacefully, and have done for years.

dance crowds aren't "uncontrollables". as i've pointed out numerous times now, 99.99% of dance crowds are perfectly fine, and safe. i've been to enough DJs and live dance acts over the years and never felt threatened.

as lordgoat mentions, your thinking seems to be some sort of Joe Duffy line, where the dreaded "dance music!!!" is responsible, when you'll get fights and arrests at all sorts of events. it has nothing to do with the type of music, it's down to scumbags acting the maggot at certain acts, and the organisation allowing them to do so.
    again, most of the SHM bill wasn't "dance", it was pop, so using your logic, pop music is well known for trouble.

as for the "lots of people at the dance gigs would only go to a dance/p[op gig", no most people that go to dance gigs wouldn't be caught dead at a pop gig. you seem to be under the impression that dance gigs in this country are Guetta/SHM type affairs, when in reality, those 2 are the extreme minority, and the vast majority of people going to dance events in this country would never dream of going to see those 2. your view of "dance music" seems to be very ignorant of the reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

any chance of tame impala playing ?

On the festival point, I was giving my view of headliners and the appearance that me and many of my friends got.

I was just making the point, that in my experience, violence tends to me a lot more frequent at some of the larger dance and pop gigs than at rock gigs of the same size, in part due to the difference in crowds.. Of course the act is the problem.. people go for the act not for anything else and lots of people at the dance gigs would only go to a dance/p[op gig and not be caught dead at a rock gig,,

not all of course but a lot..

I'd reply to this but ghostdancer summed it up better and more patiently than I would.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Latest TITP line up
    64425_10151772967954968_426539182_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I'd love for a Kraftwerk show to be announced over here. The TITP line-up doesn't look too impressive though, too many mediocre faux-indie bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Eminem & Elton John to headline?

srm23 wrote: »

Nope . If Elton was gonna headline a festival it would be EP

Another line up update from TITP
    Just announced! David Guetta, Foals, Phoenix, Kendrick Lamar and Haim will be joining us in July! Tickets for T in the Park 2013 go on sale Friday 22nd February at 9am from www.tinthepark.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Kendrick Lamar :D
    Would love him!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

Rihanna to headline anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

srm23 wrote: »

Lol. This question has been answered at least 5 times in this thread already. Is it that hard to go back and look at a few posts?

SheldonC17 wrote: »
    Rihanna to headline anyone?

Already doing the Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 86,623 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Justin Timberlake and Jay Z

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Joeys94

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Very good shout, they are doing Wireless but its 4 weeks beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I hope not

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

MCD should run the indie music one the same weekend as this dance one. Keep the rap and dance fans at that so others can just enjoy a festival without the agro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Stone Roses might be a good bet. They're playing 4 gigs in London in July and are currently in Australia on a world tour. It was MCD who brought them to the Phoenix Park last year and MCD who run Oxegen. They've yet to announce any other European dates except for the London shows. They're too big for the Picnic so my bet is we'll be seeing them headline one of the nights at Oxegen.

rafi bomb wrote: »
    MCD should run the indie music one the same weekend as this dance one. Keep the rap and dance fans at that so others can just enjoy a festival without the agro.

Ya because hipsters don't listen to rap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

rafi bomb wrote: »
    What if people want to go to both? Isn't that one of the joys of going to a festival, a huge variety of artists at the one event?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Stone Roses might be a good bet. They're playing 4 gigs in London in July and are currently in Australia on a world tour. It was MCD who brought them to the Phoenix Park last year and MCD who run Oxegen. They've yet to announce any other European dates except for the London shows. They're too big for the Picnic so my bet is we'll be seeing them headline one of the nights at Oxegen.

If The Killers aren't too big for EP neither are the Roses and EP suits them better anyway.

Advertisement