Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Also this craic about rap and dance should not be at a rock/indie festival is so tiresome.

Its a festival, go to whatever you like, wouldn't it be worse if two acts you loved were playing at the same time?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Justin Timberlake and Jay Z

Wireless is Jay-Z's only European solo gig in 2013:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

rafi bomb wrote: »
    MCD should run the indie music one the same weekend as this dance one. Keep the rap and dance fans at that so others can just enjoy a festival without the agro.

I happen to like both Rock and Rap and i would not like this idea as im sure many others would agree with me, i hate that general consensus that people who listen to rap start fights and people who listen to rock are the chilled out nice people..newsflash, it depends on the person if they are a dick, not their taste of music

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Will the T in the Park line-up have any bearing on Oxegen though?

Isn't Oxegen in August this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Eod100 wrote: »
    Will the T in the Park line-up have any bearing on Oxegen though?

Isn't Oxegen in August this year?

Doubt it, they used to share artists with Oxegen as they would be on the same weekend and all they would have to do is take a plane over, but since Oxegen will be on in August it would be pretty unlikely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

karaokeman wrote: »
    If The Killers aren't too big for EP neither are the Roses and EP suits them better anyway.

I can't agree with this at all and I'll tell you why.

The Killers have lost a lot of fans (including myself) with a series of dud albums. They haven't done anything decent since Sam's Town and their sales of both albums and tickets reflect that.

The Stone Roses on the other hand only ever had two albums but most importantly both albums are considered iconic as they were the birth of the Madchester movement. The Stone Roses and the Second Coming commonly make it into list of the top 50 albums of all time- don't think you could say that about the Killers -as good as Hot Fuss was I don't think it would make a top 50 albums of all time, possibly a top 100 but some would even argue with that

Fact is the Roses sold 45,000 tickets for the Phoenix Park on their own. When the Killers played the Picnic the capacity was c.30,000 and there was another 50 or 60 bands playing with them so not everyone was there to see the Killers, far from it to be honest. The Stones have been selling out stadium gigs across Europe and have a number of sell outs in Asia and Australia at the moment.

Finally the Stone Roses have a multi-generaltional following- at the gig in the Phoenix Park there were people there in their teenage years all the way up to old rockers in their 50's- the Killers simply don't attract a crowd that spans many generations like the Roses do. People will still be listening to the Roses in 20 years time (as they have for the last 20)- I doubt you could say the same about the Killers.

I agree with you that the Stones would be better suited to the Picnic but my guess is that as they've been selling out gigs in the 40,000-50,000 capacity range it means the organisers of the Picnic couldn't afford their fee, at least not without dropping a good few other acts off the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,626 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wireless is Jay-Z's only European solo gig in 2013:(

Maybe Justin Timberlake then with TI and Timbaland

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

karaokeman wrote: »
    Also this craic about rap and dance should not be at a rock/indie festival is so tiresome.

Its a festival, go to whatever you like, wouldn't it be worse if two acts you loved were playing at the same time?

different genres in GENERAL attract different crowds, it CAN ruin dynamic.

there is always exceptions

This happens at Oxegen... walk into Dance Arena, then go to a smaller stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The most fun I've ever had at Oxegen was in the Dance Arena :D

RATM wrote: »

The Killers have lost a lot of fans (including myself) with a series of dud albums. They haven't done anything decent since Sam's Town and their sales of both albums and tickets reflect that.

The Stone Roses on the other hand only ever had two albums but most importantly both albums are considered iconic as they were the birth of the Madchester movement. The Stone Roses and the Second Coming commonly make it into list of the top 50 albums of all time- don't think you could say that about the Killers -as good as Hot Fuss was I don't think it would make a top 50 albums of all time, possibly a top 100 but some would even argue with that

Fact is the Roses sold 45,000 tickets for the Phoenix Park on their own. When the Killers played the Picnic the capacity was c.30,000 and there was another 50 or 60 bands playing with them so not everyone was there to see the Killers, far from it to be honest. The Stones have been selling out stadium gigs across Europe and have a number of sell outs in Asia and Australia at the moment.

Finally the Stone Roses have a multi-generaltional following- at the gig in the Phoenix Park there were people there in their teenage years all the way up to old rockers in their 50's- the Killers simply don't attract a crowd that spans many generations like the Roses do. People will still be listening to the Roses in 20 years time (as they have for the last 20)- I doubt you could say the same about the Killers.

I agree with you that the Stones would be better suited to the Picnic but my guess is that as they've been selling out gigs in the 40,000-50,000 capacity range it means the organisers of the Picnic couldn't afford their fee, at least not without dropping a good few other acts off the bill.

The fact that Stone Roses have already played 2 big headline shows in Ireland since their reunion , the popularity will have dropped slightly unless they release new music . Isnt EP's capacity about 50,000? I know it didnt sell out last year . I wouldnt really say The Killers ticket sales have gone down since they have 2 sold out arena shows this weekend and are also gonna headline Wembley Stadium during the summer . I can also see The Killers doing a big outdoor show of some sort in Ireland which will sell out.

Anyways as said i kinda like festivals where you get to see acts you prob would not go see at their own show but just pop along to the stage and see what they are like .

With Oxegen being in August they might share the line up with V Festival who are announcing next monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

Zero1986 wrote: »
    The most fun I've ever had at Oxegen was in the Dance Arena :D

Aye same, everytime you get deeper into the crowd (closer to the stage) everyone starts shaking your hand, high fiving, hugs, smiling profusely, etc (I know what's going on there but it's a great experience all the same) ! And no I'm not being sarcastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

7 7 12 wrote: »

Aye same, everytime you get deeper into the crowd (closer to the stage) everyone starts shaking your hand, high fiving, hugs, smiling profusely, etc (I know what's going on there but it's a great experience all the same) ! And no I'm not being sarcastic
    I've been to metal gigs and I've been to raves. From my experience dance crowds are way more fun (when not ruined by scumbags of course). Everyone is just happy out whether on drugs or not on drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Zero1986 wrote: »
    What if people want to go to both? Isn't that one of the joys of going to a festival, a huge variety of artists at the one event?

I would swap a huge variety of artists so I don't get a huge variety of people. We all know the type of people we are talking about here

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

I happen to like both Rock and Rap and i would not like this idea as im sure many others would agree with me, i hate that general consensus that people who listen to rap start fights and people who listen to rock are the chilled out nice people..newsflash, it depends on the person if they are a dick, not their taste of music

Yea loads of people like both and both can sides can have dicks but WAY more are attracted to dance gigs. I would prefer lots of different music but not worth it with the amount of scum it brings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭bren2001

RATM wrote: »

A lot of people didn't really like Day and Age or Battle Born yet Human is probably their biggest song since Mr Brightside. Both did manage to go to number 1 in the charts here. Although the Killers have not gained many fans, with the 5 year break, they have not really lost many either. They are the perfect festival band because everybody likes a few songs.

Em, I think you are over hyping them there a bit. They had two albums. The albums are big but are only considered huge in the UK really. If you go through a lot of top 50's you will find either Hot Fuss or Sam's Town (arguably the better album) on them. It's a very objective list and really has no relevance on how big a band is.

The Killers are bigger worldwide. They are equal enough here and across Europe. They have a huge following in Asia and a massive one in Australia but what the Stones don't have is a big American following. Headlining Coachella and most people didn't know who they were.

The Killers played Marlay Park on their own and sold 35000 tickets. I cannot think of a stand alone show they did not sell out (apart from Marlay Park).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Kings Of Leon for Oxegen again, calling it now

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ULMarc

bren2001 wrote: »
    A lot of people didn't really like Day and Age or Battle Born yet Human is probably their biggest song since Mr Brightside. Both did manage to go to number 1 in the charts here. Although the Killers have not gained many fans, with the 5 year break, they have not really lost many either. They are the perfect festival band because everybody likes a few songs.

Em, I think you are over hyping them there a bit. They had two albums. The albums are big but are only considered huge in the UK really. If you go through a lot of top 50's you will find either Hot Fuss or Sam's Town (arguably the better album) on them. It's a very objective list and really has no relevance on how big a band is.

The Killers are bigger worldwide. They are equal enough here and across Europe. They have a huge following in Asia and a massive one in Australia but what the Stones don't have is a big American following. Headlining Coachella and most people didn't know who they were.

The Killers played Marlay Park on their own and sold 35000 tickets. I cannot think of a stand alone show they did not sell out (apart from Marlay Park).

They're a sure thing for a crowd alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

MCD just confirmed that "some very exciting news" will be revealed on the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show tomorrow morning.

Possible Oxegen headliners/ticket release details??????

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

MCD just confirmed that "some very exciting news" will be revealed on the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show tomorrow morning.

Possible Oxegen headliners/ticket release details??????
    Official announced that oxgen is going ahead maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I reckon it's either an Oxegen announcement, or a Robbie Williams concert. xD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭corm500

I would like officially announce a Rolling Stones to play Oxegen rumour

Mr.S wrote: »
    Why would they waste the Rolling Stones on Oxegen? They'd easily sell out a standalone gig (more money for mcd;))

If they were trying to distance themselves from the more recent Oxegens and align themselves more with a more mature Glastonbury type festival, what better way to do it:)

apologies for the overuse of the word "more" in that last post

Surely they would be better off announcing the new festival before Oxegen? Since that will be on before Oxegen . Dont be surprised if its a let down of an announcement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

corm500 wrote: »
    apologies for the overuse of the word "more" in that last post

You'd want to be careful or the government will start taxing your use of the word more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86,626 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I reckon it's either an Oxegen announcement, or a Robbie Williams concert. xD

Robbie Williams to play Oxegen

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ULMarc

There ya go. There's Longitude now. http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=4431588&ar=longitude&cat=all

We can all stop bitching :)

Oh, and the official site http://longitude.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

ULMarc wrote: »
    There ya go. There's Longitude now. http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=4431588&ar=longitude&cat=all

We can all stop bitching :)

Oh, and the official site http://longitude.ie/

Will there be camping in marlay park? The residents of rathfarnam won't be happy with this news

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

How come people are mentioning the Killers etc for Oxegen? It's going to be a dance/hip hop festival? Or am I missing out on an in joke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

7 7 12 wrote: »
    Will there be camping in marlay park? The residents of rathfarnam won't be happy with this news
    They are calling it a event not a festival so I think it will be only on during the day.
    I don't even think there is space in marley park

Advertisement