Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Rumours that The Smiths have got back together purely to headline Oxegen?!

Morrisey, at his local while knocking down the pints with the newly reformed group was quoting saying:
    Why not? I've missed these guys,we're good together and it is Oxegen after all, the best music festival in the whole of Europe, if not the world. [redacted] are very convincing too, that defintely helped! Best promoters there are in fact.

So long as there isn't any vendors serving meat,there shouldn't be any issues. If I smell meat at any point, I'll go ****ing mad, I mean it, I'll make the Swedish House Mafia look like a walk in the park. But yeah, back to playing at Oxegen, can't wait, crowds going to be great, best in europe, and we'll probably play a few new songs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Another year, another Smiths reunion rumour. Then again if The Stone Roses reformed I wouldn't rule out The Smiths reforming.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Am I the only one who doesn't really care who is gonna headline?
    Because I no it will be great craic no matter who is playing :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Thats because you'll prob spend the entire time in the campsite :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Its a music festival. Of course people care who is headlining.

• Advertisement

Tinie wrote: »
    Its a music festival. Of course people care who is headlining.

Yeah but what I'm saying is you will find someone you like.
    I don't think I saw any of the headliners in 2011 apart from the end of coldplay

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I don't think I saw any of the headliners in 2011 apart from the end of coldplay

so its all about the drinking...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

So you paid €300+ for a music festival ticket just to sit in a wet field and get pissed?...

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

He said everyone will find someone they like. He didn't go to see the HEADLINERS

Doesn't mean he sat in a field all day getting pissed. There are plenty of bands apart from the headliners

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

their website isn't very up to date.

http://www.last.fm/music/Two+Door+Cinema+Club/+events
    http://www.parcjeandrapeau.com/events/osheaga-festival/
    osheaga-lineup-2013-en.jpg

i suppose theoretically they could be playing there on the Friday, then make it back here to play on the Sunday night, very rare that a band would do that though, as it's tiring and all the gear has to be shipped back over.

Just saw this line-up there. Several artists that I'd like to see. Is it very unlikely that any of these artists would play Oxegen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

TweetMe!?! wrote: »
    Is it very unlikely that any of these artists would play Oxegen?

A couple might. A lot of those bands are playing in Ireland over the Summer anyway.

so its all about the drinking...

I've been to Oxegen twice and I think Coldplay was the only headliner I watched. And I'm usually in the arena from two or three in the afternoon, I never really get excited about the headliner announcements, cause I never really like them.

There's nothing wrong with going to a music festival just for a weekend of camping and drinking, if the weather's nice it's a great weekend before you watch any bands. Loads of people do. It's when people are out of their minds drunk at three in the afternoon and are still running around kicking up tent pegs and screaming at half five in the morning it's annoying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I

There's nothing wrong with going to a music festival just for a weekend of camping and drinking

i would disagree, but each to their own

There's nothing wrong with going to a music festival just for a weekend of camping and drinking
    Erm, yes there is. You can go for a weekend of camping and drinking anywhere in the country for practically nothing instead of paying for a festival ticket...

Pff there's heaps of people who do it. I mean the old people who sit in the green campsite and watch like one or two bands all weekend, not the pack of 30 lads who get so smashed that slashing tents seems like a good idea. Obviously nobody wants that.

Perhaps you're right though, it should be music festival policy that if you're not gonna watch X amount of bands you should go camping in another part of the country.

Just cause people aren't gonna be in the arena at midday to watch Bipolar empire or the minutes doesn't mean they're there to cause havoc. It's such bent elitism to think people shouldn't go to a music festival if they're not gonna watch loads of music. So long as they're not treading on my tent and blowing up aerosol cans, what does it matter to me why other people are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

As long as they dont cause trouble, who cares what other people do?

i would disagree, but each to their own

Even the people who aren't in your way or causing any trouble?
    Zero1986 wrote: »
    Erm, yes there is. You can go for a weekend of camping and drinking anywhere in the country for practically nothing instead of paying for a festival ticket...

If anything you should be grateful for the people who want to spend their money and not watch any bands (again, so long as they're not in your way), if all the people who who go to Oxegen not for the music stopped going the budget for bands and quality of the line up would decrease pretty noticeably :p

If anything you should be grateful for the people who want to spend their money and not watch any bands (again, so long as they're not in your way), if all the people who who go to Oxegen not for the music stopped going the budget for bands and quality of the line up would decrease pretty noticeably :p
    I would agree that if some people stopped going just to drink it would have a financial effect. But I don't see what budget and quality have to do with each other. I'd rather see a band like Rodrigo y Gabriela who would be cheaper to book than Red Hot Chili Peppers who would command the sun, moon and stars from promoters and be boring as fuck. In fact I did just that at Oxegen 2006 and loved it.

Well yeah but then it's getting kind of subjective. That's like me saying Cast of cheers should headline instead of The Script cause they're better, but best of luck to MCD selling Oxegen with Cast of Cheers headlining :p

best of luck to MCD selling Oxegen with Cast of Cheers headlining :p
    Which is exactly why smaller festivals are better. In reality the average Irish person is an idiot and the less of those we get at festivals the better. They are unlikely to scale down Oxegen to the size of Electric Picnic as it's the only Irish festival that really caters for the 'masses'. With smaller festivals there's that bit more emphasis on quality over quantity and you are more likely to attract people who are there for the music rather than just to get pissed in a field for a few days and act the cunt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Which is exactly why smaller festivals are better. In reality the average Irish person is an idiot and the less of those we get at festivals the better. They are unlikely to scale down Oxegen to the size of Electric Picnic as it's the only Irish festival that really caters for the 'masses'. With smaller festivals there's that bit more emphasis on quality over quantity and you are more likely to attract people who are there for the music rather than just to get pissed in a field for a few days and act the cunt.

Agreed , thats why i loved Indiependence last year , So many great irish acts to see all over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

TweetMe!?! wrote: »
    Just saw this line-up there. Several artists that I'd like to see. Is it very unlikely that any of these artists would play Oxegen?

I don't think it's likely, because it's in Canada - if it was in England or Western Europe, it'd be an easy enough journey, but getting a band and gear and crew from Montreal to Punchestown... and then there's the issue with time zones, no-one wants a jet-lagged band playing! But I guess some acts playing Friday there could technically do Sunday here...

But if all those bands are tied up in Canada for that weekend, maybe Oxegen IS going to be a dance festival instead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

With Mumord and Sons,The Killers,the Marlay Park gigs all filling up with Indie type bands can we actually expect Oxegen to be announced soon with just majority pop/dance acts

Example
    Guetta
    Skrillex
    Calvin Harris etc??

raven136 wrote: »
    With Mumord and Sons,The Killers,the Marlay Park gigs all filling up with Indie type bands can we actually expect Oxegen to be announced soon with just majority pop/dance acts

Example
    Guetta
    Skrillex
    Calvin Harris etc??
    If it is going ahead I don't think they will give any official announcement for another few weeks seen as the mumford and sons gig only went on sale today

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Niamh_101

If it is going ahead I don't think they will give any official announcement for another few weeks seen as the mumford and sons gig only went on sale today

I thought they went on sale on Friday? Maybe the headliners will be announced before Easter?

raven136 wrote: »

Example
    Guetta
    Skrillex
    Calvin Harris etc??

the soundtrack to a violent festival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

A bit unfair. Creamfields and Homelands ran for years playing nothing but dance music and there was never any major trouble.

One SHM gig that there was a few stabbings at and all of a sudden dance music is the cause of all the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

Originally Posted by melekalikimaka View Post
    A bit unfair. Creamfields and Homelands ran for years playing nothing but dance music and there was never any major trouble.

One SHM gig that there was a few stabbings at and all of a sudden dance music is the cause of all the trouble.

You wont get sense on here, this is bandwagon territory.

Synode wrote: »

I worked at HiFi festival here and it was a blood bath, Hammer fights in the campsites and thats not evens tarting on the ridiculous open air drug use policy the punter adopted

• Advertisement

Example said he's playing an Irish festival, and he wasn't announced for Belsonic so that's probably that. Skrillex is around this Summer. So yeah wouldn't be surprised if all that stuff is there. It's a multi-stage festival though. They might try and move a little further from EP bands and obviously Longitude, but they're not gonna do away with guitar bands or anything. I don't think it'll be that much different from previous line ups.

Advertisement