Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2013

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

At least all the messy crowd and scumbags have something to go too leaving them away from other gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

I don't really know if the line up is good or bad, that kind of music doesn't draw me in and I know nothing about it. I'd like to see Snoop and Soulwax.

I think despite the negative comments around it, it'll sell well. I hope it goes off without incident too, just to prove the hand wringers wrong.

The Stone Roses definitely aren't playing there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

I'll probably go. I'm a big Alesso fan, and would quite like to see Nicky Romero etc too. I had been hoping for a couple of big-name festival bands to be honest but I'm not overly fussed. Still should be a good weekends craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

That is one horrendous line-up. You couldn't pay me to go to that. I don't care that they're taking the festival in a different musical direction, but if you're going to start calling it a dance/hip-hop festival, then at least book good dance and hip-hop acts. Shockingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

Legion. wrote: »
    I'll probably go. I'm a big Alesso fan, and would quite like to see Nicky Romero etc too. I had been hoping for a couple of big-name festival bands to be honest but I'm not overly fussed. Still should be a good weekends craic!

Make sure to bring your stab vest. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

jamie72 wrote: »
    Make sure to bring your stab vest. :P

wow man, great advice!!

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

should be a good weekends craic!
    As in cocaine like??

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

wow man, great advice!!

:/

Just a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Last time I saw Calvin Harris was in The Bridge House Hotel In Tullamore......hmmmm never enjoyed Kings Of Leon , Snow Patrol, Faithless, Arcade Fire, Blur, Coldplay, The Killers, Lady GAGA etc in those settings.....just about sums it up really.....they should have just let it die with dignity or at least change the name for this so called rebirth. Great times had in Punchestown in 2009,2010,2011 but I'm unbooking the bank holiday weekend off work in the morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

was looking forward to the line up and seeing a few International rock bands,when was the decision made to just make it a dance festival,down to EP to get some good bands otherwise its Indiependence which has a few good bands at a reasonably price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

deise_girl wrote: »

Might be the worst line-up I've ever seen for a major Summer outdoor festival. Not to mention it will attract half the scrotebags in the country.

Don't know why they didn't just rebrand and repackage it. It's Oxegen in name only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

That is a shocking bad lineup.

I'll cry if Daft Punk decide sometime later to play at it instead of doing a standalone gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Vetinarugbian

I wonder do the scrotes of Ireland look at that line up and go "Jayzuz ehhhhhhhhhhh deadly gonna be MAD, burn some tents, knock a few heads, STAB STAB STAB WHAT ARE YOU LOOKIN AT" or do they look at it and go, **** that's actually gonna be full of filth and a stabaramma I think for the sake of my life Ill give it a miss.
    Do the geniuses that organised all the knackbag catnip to play in the phoenix park not learn anything last summer - you can see this coming a mile off, it will be Beirut on a bad day.
    Plus...............worst-line-up-EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Wouldn't it have made more sense for MCD to create a new Dance event for the Marley park slot and instead of creating Horizon, continue to have Oxygen as a indie/rock festival.
    To me it makes more sense to have a dance festival as non camping instead of a rock festival. I can only imagine how much trouble there is going to be in the camping sections for this new Oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AviciioConnor

Tbh I wanted an Irish EDM festival but a good one there are only a few talented DJ's at oxegen (Alesso,Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Nicky Romero, Otto Knows, Calvin Harris) if mcd are going to do one do a proper one and leave the cheesy hip/hop Rap acts out of it and bring in top class EDM DJ acts like Avicii, Fat Boy Slim, The Chemical Brothers, Afrojack, Armin Van Buuren, Deadmau5, Ingrosso,Axwell, Angello, Hardwell, Daft Punk, Hardwell, Knife Party and Basement Jaxx!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

top class EDM DJ acts like Avicii, Fat Boy Slim, The Chemical Brothers, Afrojack, Armin Van Buuren, Deadmau5, Ingrosso,Axwell, Angello, Hardwell, Daft Punk, Hardwell, Knife Party and Basement Jaxx!

Please don't group the likes of Avicii and SHM with truly talented acts such as Daft Punk and Chemical Brothers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The joke line-up was better ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

I haven´t attended oxegen since 2006 (and am in no hurry back)
    but my god that is one anorexic lineup.

Calvin Harris and David Guetta headlined the dance arena back in 2008
    and aren´t even mentioned on the poster for that year.

Did the organisers honestly think no one would notice?
    Oxegen has been going down hill fast since about five years ago but there were always a couple of decent acts amongst the dross.
    It´s actually like they sat upstairs on the 77 and took notes on whatever the
    13-year-old scrote down the back was blastin on his phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭klose

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Please don't group the likes of Avicii and SHM with truly talented acts such as Daft Punk and Chemical Brothers.

The edm scene has gone awful in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Pinewoo

Perhaps MCD will reveal this is all some sort of elaborate hoax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

klose wrote: »

Probably all stabbed to be fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

going off topic here but even the fact it´s called EDM now is a pure Americanism, almost like wiping out hundreds of genres and subgenres of dance music that have developed over 25 years (cause the US public can´t understand the difference and get confused) into one nice marketable "EDM" package.
    Sorry to sound like an elitist d1ck but it does annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I blame the yanks! they finally caught on to Dance/Electronic type music and cheesed the sh1t out of it, or rather made that type of gutter Electronic music more famous. Even the term EDM is so americanised, It's like bubble gum pop for the new gen.

EDIT: there was no need to post my comment as drinkmilkkids got there before me, it took me 10 minutes to post a comment because I'm half jarred LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

To quote a great man

"Worst line up ever"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

A few comments from a (really really) old git, but one who was there working for a vendor in 2006.

Is it a dance, pop or rock festival or a combination thereof? It used to be a rock festival with side orders of genre music - dance, blues etc.

That line up looks pretty mainstream dance to me. One to get da lads bopping and shelling out 150 to 200 yoyos.

It's a reflection of the times. It's cheap and hopefully cheerful, but I have my doubts on the second part. It's valid to say if you don't like it then don't go, but it's also fair criticism to say that it's a woeful line-up if you have broader tastes in music.

The promoters have identified a market. Young dance fans with disposable income. I think it's also fair to factor in that the main sponsor is an alcoholic drinks company, so they're looking for people who enjoy a plastic beaker or two in the great outdoors. Like it or not, the late teen/early twenties urban male drinker - call them skobes if you wish - is proving to be a reliable spender.

My only problem with this audience targetting is that it creates its own critical mass of head-the-balls. It's true to say that the vast majority of fans at any festival are fine, decent people, but it's also true that a minority can create and dictate the whole atmosphere at a festival. My suspicion is that many dance fans looking for a relaxed enjoyable time will simply screen out Oxegen and head off to the EP. Oxegen this year has trackies and baseball caps written all over it and will be seen as particular welcoming to them. Fine, but know what you're getting into. It will require major and strict security and zero tolerance for any fannying about.

My worry is that they've skimped on the acts and they'll skimp on security and crowd control.

Looks like just shy of €150 for 3 days. Don't know if that's camping included.
    BIjh9xSCcAAYJUl.jpg:large

Unless I'm reading that wrong it looks like the €149.50 price is a "early bird special" and booking after 8am on Saturday - the tickets go on sale Friday at 8am - the price will rise. Plus booking fee I assume.

It feels like a marketing tactic to create some sense of urgency and to force a quick decision. I'll leave it to the young peeps to do with their money what they see fit, but it's going to come in at about €200 all in for acts you'd expect to see at a freebie gig.

For comparison, here's the 2010 line-up:
    BIjjYVUCIAA0FCS.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

RATM wrote: »
    Agreed.

It is also as if MCD have a tiny budget for paying acts and are hoping to increase their profit margins by getting all dance acts in, all while not dropping the ticket price enough to reflect that.

If you had €2k-€3k to burn you could get a majority of those acts to play a private gig in your front living room.

Haha yeah sure Sasha is doing a deal at the moment. He'll play ur gaff party for an all u can drink bar and 300 euro in his back pocket. It's not like he's one of the biggests DJS in the world and commands upwards of a 6 figure fee to show his face in night clubs and festivals all around the world. Sure you might even get fakeblood and Calvin Harris as a 2 for 1 deal *rolls eyes*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Hammer91

Avicii and Daft Punk just added?? Surely fake?

Advertisement