Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

Morrison J wrote: »
    Do we think its going to happen?

If it does what type of line up do you reckon we are looking at?
    Its the 20th anniversary of T In The Park and hopefully we can benefit from their improved line up for this year.

Acts im hoping for:

The Stone Roses
    The Black Keys
    The Charlatans

Headliners im expecting are:

The Killers

Green Day

Muse

Ha ha..were you wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

lordgoat wrote: »
    But Calvin Harris played main stage in 2009?

So were you whinging about that back then?

Don't like it. Don't go.

I ain't going. Don't be worrying about that. No longer Europe's Favourite Rock and Roll Festival.

2010 had Fat Boy Slim, Muse, Kasabian, Florence and the Machine, Sterophonics, Prodigy, The Saw Doctors, Empire of the Sun and more.

What do we have now? Calvin Harris. He played at the UCD ball one year. I'd say you could get him to play at your sisters communion party if you tried hard enough.....

Anyways, I'm off to see Kraftwerk in Marley Park, so I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

shansey wrote: »
    Ha ha..were you wrong!!

He was only hoping for those bands. The amount of people who did post here having mate's who were good reliable sources was unbelievable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

The only act that I'd actually look forward to seeing is Soulwax...other than that its a brutal lineup.Thank god I went when the likes of Chemical Brothers and Amy Winehouse were playing.Can't even compare them to this years acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I was looking at the Oxegen and MCD facebook pages and they've actually taken down the posters from yesterday, the top comments were probably outrageously abusive :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Mr.S wrote: »
    I think its silly people comparing this Oxegen to the Oxegen of the past. Completely different festivals now.

It is a bit yeah. But it's their own fault I think, deciding to keep the name Oxegen is the reason it is getting compared to previous Oxegens. Silly, silly move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Basq wrote: »
    Well.. let's see what EP comes up with first.

QOTSA?
    playing the Made In America on the Saturday, so probably not
    http://www.last.fm/festival/3561814+Made+In+America+Festival+2013

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I'd love to see what the old oxegen.ie board would make of this lineup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yep they shot themselves in the foot really.

Still, no doubt this will sell well. Guetta sold what, nearly 25k tickets last year for his gig? Example sold out the o2, Calvin Harris will sell the rest.

The Example gig although officially "sold-out" on Ticketmaster was not actually "sold-out" as 80% of the seating upstairs was blocked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 smileyp123

They said that they were annoucing the full lineup and the at the end of the poster it says more acts to be annouced. What kinda bull **** is this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

smileyp123 wrote: »
    They said that they were annoucing the full lineup and the at the end of the poster it says more acts to be annouced. What kinda bull **** is this.

That's always been the way. Chances are they will add a few small acts between now and August.

If ticket sales are terrible, they may add in one "big" (word used carefully) act to help shift a few more tickets!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

BX 19 wrote: »
    I ain't going. Don't be worrying about that. No longer Europe's Favourite Rock and Roll Festival.

2010 had Fat Boy Slim, Muse, Kasabian, Florence and the Machine, Sterophonics, Prodigy, The Saw Doctors, Empire of the Sun and more.

What do we have now? Calvin Harris. He played at the UCD ball one year. I'd say you could get him to play at your sisters communion party if you tried hard enough.....

Anyways, I'm off to see Kraftwerk in Marley Park, so I'm happy.

Why were you expecting a rock n roll festival? It blatantly said months ago it was changing direction musically.

You (and countless others) seem to forget that without oxegen as it is now you would have to out up with the bands playing it at the festivals you are choosing to go to.

Getting pretty sick of uninformed people giving out about something that was well known ages ago.

It's a no brainer for me. This festival has a market. It'll sell out or come close to it. It means other festivals won't have acts that I ( and all the whingers in here and elsewhere) don't want to see. And that in turn improves the other festivals of which, this year at least there are too many.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Darkwarriorcok

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Please don't group the likes of Avicii and SHM with truly talented acts such as Daft Punk and Chemical Brothers.

Eh chemical brothers and daft punk are also muck, a few hits and the zombies jump on board, talented my ass, granted they are talented compared to this years tripe! Woeful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Eh chemical brothers and daft punk are also muck, a few hits and the zombies jump on board, talented my ass, granted they are talented compared to this years tripe! Woeful

Daft Punk, talentless, wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Thats bollocks.

As someone who witnessed Daft Punks set at oxegen a few years back, I can reliably confirm they piss over every single act thats playing this year. One More Time live? And you say they are talentless... Put away the clown shoes lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

There's a fair amount of musical snobbery being thrown at the line up but I think it's fair when you completely change the type of acts you book for your festival and keep the same name as if nothing is different. In the past there was a sprinkling of these type of acts but this is a total shake up of the whole festival.

I've been many times over the years and I'm sure there are plenty of people loving the line up, but surely they are losing more fans than they are gaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

Daft Punk announced for Oxegen, didn't think they were touring ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Daft Punk announced for Oxegen, didn't think they were touring ?

eh, no they haven't. They're not playing oxegen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Actually, I kind of agree. Perhaps more over-hyped than muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Looks like Macklemore is going to play.
    It looks like Oxegen will be a Thrift Shop this summer ! More to follow ... #Oxegen2013

He didn't have an Irish tour date on his upcoming world tour which I thought was very weird. This would explain it. After Thrift Shop the crowd will stop singing and dwindle unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Or it could just be a commentary on the amount of money they've spent on this year's acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Looks like Macklemore is going to play.

He didn't have an Irish tour date on his upcoming world tour which I thought was very weird. This would explain it. After Thrift Shop the crowd will stop singing and dwindle unfortunately.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I just got trolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 notanerd

To think David Bowie was once lined up to play at a past Oxegen gig. This lineup caters almost solely for teenagers, knacks and people with a dreadful taste in music. It's going to have an awful atmosphere with drunk kids and scumbag's going hyper. Still I'd imagine it will sell just fine as people want to go for the camping/fun instead of the music. When it does sell fine the promoters will realise they don't have to put any effort into the line up at all. I wish we had a proper classic rock festival full of acts from the 60's, 70's and 80's but as Peter Green would say "Oh well"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

People need to realise its an entirely different festival

Its on a different weekend

Its aimed towards a different crowd completely. Its an attempt at a dance music festival rather than rock and roll type

Its still in punchestown cause thats by far the best place for it.

I reckon they would have happily changed name except for sponsorship deals precluding it maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk are talentless? Ah here! Leave it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

This won't come close to selling out at all. How many stages will they have I reckon they only need 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its sad really that Ireland a country which has such a strong musical heritage and that has produced so many great rock n roll bands and artists over the years no longer has a proper rock music festival. I went to Oxegen in 06, 08 and 2010 and I saw some amazing acts, RATM, The Kings of Leon, RHCP, The Who, the strokes, the arctic monkeys, muse, arcade fire, kasabian, I even saw James Browne haha. and I have really fond memories of those summers because of it, makes me sad to see it die like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

MadYaker wrote: »
    Its sad really that Ireland a country which has such a strong musical heritage and that has produced so many great rock n roll bands and artists over the years no longer has a proper rock music festival. I went to Oxegen in 06, 08 and 2010 and I saw some amazing acts, RATM, The Kings of Leon, RHCP, The Who, the strokes, the arctic monkeys, muse, arcade fire, kasabian, I even saw James Browne haha. and I have really fond memories of those summers because of it, makes me sad to see it die like this.

Eh? Longitude, Body & Soul, Vantastival, Forbidden Fruit, Electric Picnic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

looks like neil young was wrong, rock n roll has died!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

looks like neil young was wrong, rock n roll has died!

When's the last time a rock n roll band played oxegen?

Advertisement