Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tinie wrote: »
    I hope the term "EDM" doesn't become a thing over here. Leave that to the yanks.

It already has man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Sir_Badshot

Well, Ive worked crew for oxegen for years. Usually about 30 of us on the build.

I was traveling down to start work on it last week and got the call that 10 of the crew have been canned (inc. me) as ticket sales have been so bad.

Ive heard from the lads another 4 or 5 got dropped of crew yesterday. So the crew is less than half= build size cut in half I suppose and it was already way reduced on the last Oxegen.

Its a relief not to to have to deal with what will be a *&^(!! gig imo.

Good Riddance to it if this is the way its gone, who ever put that line up together and decided to keep the oxegen name should be left out to pasture, epic fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Well, Ive worked crew for oxegen for years. Usually about 30 of us on the build.

I was traveling down to start work on it last week and got the call that 10 of the crew have been canned (inc. me) as ticket sales have been so bad.

Ive heard from the lads another 4 or 5 got dropped of crew yesterday. So the crew is less than half= build size cut in half I suppose and it was already way reduced on the last Oxegen.

Its a relief not to to have to deal with what will be a *&^(!! gig imo.

Good Riddance to it if this is the way its gone, who ever put that line up together and decided to keep the oxegen name should be left out to pasture, epic fail.

Its ment to be a smaller event than past years so you obviously need a smaller crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Its ment to be a smaller event than past years so you obviously need a smaller crew.

He said the crew has been cut some more

He said the crew has been cut some more

I donno people seem to want it to fail. Alot would still buy in the 2 weeks before and the day trippers alot can be very last minute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Mr.S wrote: »
    I wonder why this isn't selling well, it should, on paper, do very well.

Say what you want about the lineup, the acts pull in huge numbers.

Location?

Bthe acts wont pull in huge numbers. its gonna be a young crowd and there is a fear with previous oxegen trouble and in light of the SHM gig, so I imagine alot are steering clear of the gig. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Location?
    single niche genre for the most part
    music primarily listened to be young people who don't have money/jobs
    the acts on the lineup do indeed pull big numbers, but there'd be huge overlap in people going to Guetta/Calvin Harris/Chase & Status/Example imo

they'll probably sell a decent chunk in the next week as most festivals sell the bulk of their tickets in the 2 weeks before, and most students/unemployed are probably still scrimping and saving to have the money to buy one. still wouldn't expect anywhere near a sell-out though unless there's great weather and they get lots of day-trippers.

I know of one international DJ who was seemingly supposed to be playing this but hasn't been announced, so was quite possibly cancelled (along with others) and they've scaled down the number of stages, which would explain why Sir_Badshot and others weren't needed for the build.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

the line up is the exact opposite of the old witness festivals.

just before oxegen started to shift to the shadier music it was selling out a year in advance

people will get hurt at this event because of the music

its not that i personally dislike the music but the market that does alos do quiet alot of drugs. its not those taht id be wary of but the dealers that go there to make their cash. that is why oxegen has gone from one of the best festivals in europe to one of the worst most dangerous

its a joke after the pheniox park gi last year that they still havent realised its not that there is a gig that brings trouble but the fact its a certain genre of gig that has trouble at it

if you play metal you will get mosh pits, coke and fights
    if you play mellow music you get weed and acid
    if you play rap you get hash and some of the hardcore stuff along with lots of fighting
    indie type music has drink and moderate weed/hash
    dance music has pills drink coke fighting

that is all generalizing and im sure some will differ in the categories but that is more a less what you get. if you cater for the worse genres you will get trouble. ie: pheniox park - swedishg house mafia compared to pheniox park - florence or stone roses which both happened last year with not trouble(comapred)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Location?

A fair share of the targeted crowd is teenagers, I would say quite a few parents heard about what had happened at previous gigs like SHM and have not let their kids go, they would also more than likely be the ones paying for the tickets as well.

the line up is the exact opposite of the old witness festivals.

just before oxegen started to shift to the shadier music it was selling out a year in advance

people will get hurt at this event because of the music

its not that i personally dislike the music but the market that does alos do quiet alot of drugs. its not those taht id be wary of but the dealers that go there to make their cash. that is why oxegen has gone from one of the best festivals in europe to one of the worst most dangerous

its a joke after the pheniox park gi last year that they still havent realised its not that there is a gig that brings trouble but the fact its a certain genre of gig that has trouble at it

if you play metal you will get mosh pits, coke and fights
    if you play mellow music you get weed and acid
    if you play rap you get hash and some of the hardcore stuff along with lots of fighting
    indie type music has drink and moderate weed/hash
    dance music has pills drink coke fighting

that is all generalizing and im sure some will differ in the categories but that is more a less what you get. if you cater for the worse genres you will get trouble. ie: pheniox park - swedishg house mafia compared to pheniox park - florence or stone roses which both happened last year with not trouble(comapred)

I take it you have not been to many metal gigs, you go in the pit and you could get hurt, that comes part and parcel with it, but if you get knocked down or hurt the pit will look after you. Metal fans are more respectful and helpful than other crowds, they look out for their own, they have their own set of rules and the elder statesmen make sure they are not broken, with a quiet word first and then something stronger if you ignore it. Also coke at a metal gig, its all weed and alcohol.

• Advertisement

The last Oxegen , we as long standing crew , really noticed the rise in the level of agro.

I was on night shifts a few times and after the Friday night I seriously asked about a stab vest, quite scary place at 4.30 in the morning, the stuff that went on and did not make it to the press was unreal.

Always gonna be trouble at huge gigs but this is different, people setting out from the very start to get mashed and hurt / destroy/ fu&k with other punters. Most of the idiots got away with it, just run to the mob and disappear.

Its a culture /generation change. These boyos were in nappies when Witness was on and have grown up to see this gig as a rite of passage and an opportunity to be more wild and crazy than the next lad. Oh yeah, spend a few hours getting supercharged in the event center first. Horrible Stuff.

Its not about music, its about wearing wigs and wellies and 'wacky' sunglasses and attracting as much attention to your self as possible, the music is a background service.

Gonna miss the €€€ big time but I was dreading this one to be honest.

Xenji wrote: »
    I take it you have not been to many metal gigs, you go in the pit and you could get hurt, that comes part and parcel with it, but if you get knocked down or hurt the pit will look after you. Metal fans are more respectful and helpful than other crowds, they look out for their own, they have their own set of rules and the elder statesmen make sure they are not broken, with a quiet word first and then something stronger if you ignore it. Also coke at a metal gig, its all weed and alcohol.

When are we gonna get a little Metal Weekend running??? All theses festivals and nothing for the rockers. Crazy, the people are there, build it and they will come.

When are we gonna get a little Metal Weekend running??? All theses festivals and nothing for the rockers. Crazy, the people are there, build it and they will come.

It is a shame we don't, they would have huge demand here for something like a Irish Download or Bloodstock festival.

It is a shame we don't, they would have huge demand here for something like a Irish Download or Bloodstock festival.

Absolutly, I just dont understand it, they could even host it in Marly/Pheonix etc, does not have to be a monster gig.

Open goal just waiting. Trouble free crowed to. Next to a classical audience, rockers are the most trouble free, believe it or not.

Yo, live Nation- you reading this? ;)

Yeah i don't i've even seen coke at a metal gig in my life. In fact i've seen more coke on hill 16.

im not giving out about metal

also my brother has been to metal gigs and came home with broken arms black eyes. thats when he was younger. yea sure i get that they help you up and all but its not all rosy.

yes coke at a metal gig

yes fighting at a metal gig

but im not focusing on metal as i said. its the dance/trance pill crowd im talking about

also my brother has been to metal gigs and came home with broken arms black eyes. thats when he was younger. yea sure i get that they help you up and all but its not all rosy.

yes coke at a metal gig

but im not focusing on metal as i said. its the dance/trance pill crowd im talking about

Its not really the drugs buddy, its the attitude and culture that comes with it.

Metal head may have the odd line Im sure but they do not run around stabbing people in the ar$e at random, and I mean that in the literal sense.

That has become the norm at EDM events, and I cant blame the promoters either, its a societal thing.

Trouble at oxygen? I was at the last one and had no hassle at all. Didnt even know there was stabbings in the same camp till I came home. I thought it was safe out

Trouble at oxygen? I was at the last one and had no hassle at all. Didnt even know there was stabbings in the same camp till I came home. I thought it was safe out

Well, you are lucky then, a lot were not so. Of course, not all 80,000 folks will have a bad time. 75000 may have an epic time. But some ruff stuff happens to to many people, despite best efforts of planning and security.

well when there are 80 thousand people its easy not to see the trouble first hand. but rapings slashings fires in the camp sites and general fighting

for the last 5 years anyway there has been trouble at oxegen

• Advertisement

rapings slashings fires in the camp sites and general fighting

for the last 5 years anyway there has been trouble at oxegen

This is pretty much the the issue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its not safe, well it wasn't, i will hold judgement on this one til after

yes coke at a metal gig

i've actually never seen coke at a metal gig and i should!! I'm not saying it's not there....but i'm saying there's a lot more on hill16 during a dublin game! The gardai will confirm that during the E years, crime was almost non existant in those circles, as we were all pacified by the drugs....

what's been happening recently is binging on a little bit of everything:
    • Bravado
    • Testosterone
    • alcohol
    • Coke
    • pills
    • Former legal highs
    • complete and utter badness

One thing to note that out of 50,000 thousand people it was a minority that caused issues...some of those guys were getting primed to join the gangs we read about, raising their profile, showing their worth if you will!

Its not really the drugs buddy, its the attitude and culture that comes with it.

Metal head may have the odd line Im sure but they do not run around stabbing people in the ar$e at random, and I mean that in the literal sense.

That has become the norm at EDM events, and I cant blame the promoters either, its a societal thing.

i know mate id never pick on the metal scene. as someone who grew up in teh limerick "termites"(great club back in teh day) era i have no problem with metal. i stand by what i said about the drugs and that but im not saying that trouble is as bad at metal gigs as dance

i've actually never seen coke at a metal gig and i should!! I'm not saying it's not there....but i'm saying there's a lot more on hill16 during a dublin game! The gardai will confirm that during the E years, crime was almost non existant in those circles, as we were all pacified by the drugs....

what's been happening recently is binging on a little bit of everything:
    • Bravado
    • Testosterone
    • alcohol
    • Coke
    • pills
    • Former legal highs
    • complete and utter badness

One thing to note that out of 50,000 thousand people it was a minority that caused issues...some of those guys were getting primed to join the gangs we read about, raising their profile, showing their worth if you will!

but thats my issue

i think that there are more widespread drugs being used at dance and rap gigs

now anyone can like dance or rap you dont have to be a drug head but at these gigs it is more widespread.

this means that gangs will be present to sell product and when rival gangs are trying to sell tehn there will be trouble. usually between rivals but quiet often unaware passer bys will get sucked in also

im not even talking about how the people on drugs at the time might be just "having a laugh" at someone elses expense while buring their tent and all their posessions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

The problem with Metal festivals is that Metal has almost as many genres as the rest of music combined and there isn't much crossover amongst fans between them. Basically your options are do a festival with a couple of metal genres (most likely the most commercial ones) or a festival big enough that it covers all metal genres.

Doing the first is hard when the Irish population is so small as while there might be a lot of people who've identified themselves as Metal fans getting the numbers to support a festival for any one genre is hard. This gets more complicated when the age of fans into various genres is actually very specific too. Doing the second costs a lot of money and ticket prices would be too high. Most metal fans travel at this point to the festivals you mentioned anyway so an Irish festival would need to be competitive to that.

This is why in the past there has such fantastic pairings as Linken Park supporting Metallica as they try cover their bases among genres but rarely keep everyone happy in doing so.

Toast wrote: »
    The problem with Metal festivals is that Metal has almost as many genres as the rest of music combined and there isn't much crossover amongst fans between them. Basically your options are do a festival with a couple of metal genres (most likely the most commercial ones) or a festival big enough that it covers all metal genres.

Doing the first is hard when the Irish population is so small as while there might be a lot of people who've identified themselves as Metal fans getting the numbers to support a festival for any one genre is hard. This gets more complicated when the age of fans into various genres is actually very specific too. Doing the second costs a lot of money and ticket prices would be too high. Most metal fans travel at this point to the festivals you mentioned anyway so an Irish festival would need to be competitive to that.

This is why in the past there has such fantastic pairings as Linken Park supporting Metallica as they try cover their bases among genres but rarely keep everyone happy in doing so.

they had a mini download a few years back and it worked great. The RDS has changed for the worse since then....and the layout of Longitude in marly this year was great...so perhaps the best idea is to try and poach 3 or 4 bands from a UK festival for a one day metal fest?

Bthe acts wont pull in huge numbers. its gonna be a young crowd and there is a fear with previous oxegen trouble and in light of the SHM gig, so I imagine alot are steering clear of the gig. IMO
    its not safe, well it wasn't, i will hold judgement on this one til after

I found everyone very friendly and noone I talked to had and hassle either

I found everyone very friendly and noone I talked to had and hassle either

If you don't mind me asking-

What year was this? What days were you there and in what campsite?

Did you go to Event Center or arena gigs ?

What kind of music generally were you there for?

Whats you age bracket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

they had a mini download a few years back and it worked great. The RDS has changed for the worse since then....and the layout of Longitude in marly this year was great...so perhaps the best idea is to try and poach 3 or 4 bands from a UK festival for a one day metal fest?

Yeah those small day metalfests are all that ever really pop up here. Not entirely sure why they are not more regular. Did it sell well or was there any giving out from residents after?

Advertisement