Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

If you don't mind me asking-

What year was this? What days were you there and in what campsite?

Did you go to Event Center or arena gigs ?

What kind of music generally were you there for?

Whats you age bracket?

Friday till Monday the last Year it was on. The year before last I think. Im not sure which site now but it was the same site as the few stabbings

I went everywhere afaik

I went to all sorts from Calvin harris to Bruno mars to black Eyed peas and foo fighters
    I went to loads and I like most music. Just picked whatever seemed better at the time

I would have been 24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Sir_Badshot

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Friday till Monday the last Year it was on. The year before last I think. Im not sure which site now but it was the same site as the few stabbings

I went everywhere afaik

I went to all sorts from Calvin harris to Bruno mars to black Eyed peas and foo fighters
    I went to loads and I like most music. Just picked whatever seemed better at the time

I would have been 24

Well thats cool, nice to see folks having a good time there:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I found everyone very friendly and noone I talked to had and hassle either

ok well fair enough, I have been to every Oxegen and would view things differently but it is just my view, I'm sure everyone sees things differently. I do about 6 festivals in UK and Ireland a year and I find Oxegen a grim experience, but theres always the chance of it improving, Electric Picnic was once a great festival and Witnness was cracking back in the day. This could go well if things fall into place right which I hope might be the case with the rejig.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I think it was 2008, but a lightening strike hit a tree and set a few tents on fire, if it was not for torrential rain coming a minute after, the whole place would of went up and not a sign of any site security, it was hell back then and no better now I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Jayk96 wrote: »
    So whats everyones honest opinion is there like no chance of a 17 year old getting in even if they look older and that I should just sell my ticket our do yous think I should try and I've a decent chance of getting in?

Id chance it bud..nothing to lose.. if that doesnt work.. sell your ticket to a tout and just head home..

you d never know,, it might work! try to go to a steward who looks young aswell

good luck with it tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

I'm meant to be going this year. Reading through this thread certainly isn't reassuring haha.

Legion. wrote: »
    I'm meant to be going this year. Reading through this thread certainly isn't reassuring haha.

Just bring a stab vest with you and you will be fine ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Legion. wrote: »

tbh no onw knows what to expect, I would assume there has been efforts made to improve on the previous issues and I would assume the rejig will result in a more pleasent experience, why else would they do it, go with a group, if feel unsafe camp near a tower or near security and it will set you at ease more. Be wary and enjoy the gig. We can all recount experiences past, but to be fair this is a new festival, just the same name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Absolutely ridiculous how people expect this to be a stabathon and keep mentioning it, thinking they're being funny.

For one, 7 out of 9 stabbings at SHM were done by one person, he was charged for 4 of them as that was all they could get witnesses for.
    Also, was there any trouble at Marlay Park? Yknow the gig where the same people were playing that are playing at Oxegen?
    Also, Oxegen has always had trouble at it..yet it's only highlighted now, yet again by the same people who aren't happy with the lineup so look for more reasons to dog it into the ground.

People are overreacting and making this out to be far worse than it is or will be, and it's simply coming down to not liking the line up, which I find a bit pathetic.

SV wrote: »
    Also, Oxegen has always had trouble at it..yet it's only highlighted now

People are overreacting

No, It got very bad at the last one, much worse than normal bad. It is remembered for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Absolutely ridiculous how people expect this to be a stabathon and keep mentioning it, thinking they're being funny.

For one, 7 out of 9 stabbings at SHM were done by one person, he was charged for 4 of them as that was all they could get witnesses for.
    Also, was there any trouble at Marlay Park? Yknow the gig where the same people were playing that are playing at Oxegen?
    Also, Oxegen has always had trouble at it..yet it's only highlighted now, yet again by the same people who aren't happy with the lineup so look for more reasons to dog it into the ground.

People are overreacting and making this out to be far worse than it is or will be, and it's simply coming down to not liking the line up, which I find a bit pathetic.
    I dont think Ive commented on it being a stabathon so far but If I was the parent of a teenager I would be worried sick if they were going. How would you feel? The marley park gig you're refering to had no camping, it makes a big difference. In fairness people have been commenting how bad the oxegen crowd is since before the mcd v's boards incident, and I've a feeling this year will make the year of all carry on look like a tea party.

Then again, I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

+1 for this, Oxegen along with many other festivals have always had issues with regards to stabbings/violence.. When I see large events like this I expect a few incidents, you can't put 50K people in a field and expect them all to get along when certain percentages have over-consumed alcohol and or drugs, to do this would be a major achievement in itself. It would be like attending a school and expecting to never hear about a fight.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

this means that gangs will be present to sell product and when rival gangs are trying to sell tehn there will be trouble. usually between rivals but quiet often unaware passer bys will get sucked in also

Reminds me of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Seeing as too many DJ's are on wont they be looking at the possibility of a record number of casualtiEs?!

I don't envy the security at this thing I recommend you look after your belongings and have someone stay behind in the tent. They'll still unpeg and walk off with it.... Camping near whatever security outposts there are will be prime real estate, conversely. Have fun kiddos!

No, It got very bad at the last one, much worse than normal bad. It is remembered for a reason.

Fair enough, yet again nothing to do with the line up, though.
    I dont think Ive commented on it being a stabathon so far but If I was the parent of a teenager I would be worried sick if they were going. How would you feel? The marley park gig you're refering to had no camping, it makes a big difference. In fairness people have been commenting how bad the oxegen crowd is since before the mcd v's boards incident, and I've a feeling this year will make the year of all carry on look like a tea party.

Then again, I could be wrong

Well, I'm going myself and I'm genuinely not concerned in the slightest. I was also at the SHM gig and had an amazing night, didn't see one bit of trouble.
    Right, the SHM gig had no camping either and that didn't seem to make any difference, did it? Well no, because it was a couple of psycho scumbags and that was it.
    Seeing as too many DJ's are on wont they be looking at the possibility of a record number of casualtiEs?!

I don't envy the security at this thing I recommend you look after your belongings and have someone stay behind in the tent. They'll still unpeg and walk off with it.... Camping near whatever security outposts there are will be prime real estate, conversely. Have fun kiddos!

Right, yeah, because as we all know people have never done that at previous oxegens, this is purely going to happen at this one.

People seem to be glossing over the fact that the people who genuinely want trouble at this are in the minority, absolutely.
    There has always been trouble and always will be, as people have pointed out. You put thousands of people into a field and combine alcohol and drugs and what do you expect? but for gods sake, please stop talking about the entire demographic going as if they(we)'re a bunch of cavemen and it's going to be a free for all.

I would say one of the big issues is that quite a few people associate the brand of music on offer at this years Oxegen with scumbags and reckon that its just a festival for scumbags this year, so putting that many scumbags in one place is gonna lead to a lot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Has everyone packed their knifes and hammers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

The Nal wrote: »
    Has everyone packed their knifes and hammers?

For putting up your tent, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Easy Rod wrote: »
    For putting up your tent, right?

Course yeah.

What else would they be used for? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

im bringing my gurkha. good for halfing burgers and stuff.

ye have to remember too that a gig in the middle of dublin is easy for scum to get to and more likely to pop round.

most of that type wont go to the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

I live locally and we got letters sent out about arrangements yesterday. Not much interesting but I'll give a few points.

Definitely going to be a pretty small affair. Only 8000 camping with a max possible attendance of 25000.

It's listed to end at 1.30am each night, with pyrotechnics during headline acts on Saturday and Sunday.

Main stage is going to be at the event centre.

Everything else is just about traffic plans, and how great it is for the local economy, so take your free tickets and don't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭krazymuthafuka

banjopaul wrote: »
    I live locally and we got letters sent out about arrangements yesterday. Not much interesting but I'll give a few points.

Definitely going to be a pretty small affair. Only 8000 camping with a max possible attendance of 25000.

It's listed to end at 1.30am each night, with pyrotechnics during headline acts on Saturday and Sunday.

Main stage is going to be at the event centre.

Everything else is just about traffic plans, and how great it is for the local economy, so take your free tickets and don't complain.

Was there any mention of shuttle buses too and from Naas? Staying in a hotel there so was just wondering what the story is. There usually is but there's no mention of it this year on their website - still talking about shuttle buses for July 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 43 polarax

There should be shuttle buses going from Naas. I know of one company that does shuttle buses for oxegen. What hotel are you staying in btw?

polarax wrote: »
    There should be shuttle buses going from Naas. I know of one company that does shuttle buses for oxegen. What hotel are you staying in btw?

Osprey, know it wouldn't be on the bus route but if can get into I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 polarax

The osprey is only a five minute walk to where the Oxegen shuttle buses operate. But if there not running, theres a taxi company in naas called Tom Clancys that usually do bus runs for oxegen. Only like €5 I think and there close to the centre of the town. So you should be ok.

Great, thanks man!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

im not giving out about metal

also my brother has been to metal gigs and came home with broken arms black eyes. thats when he was younger. yea sure i get that they help you up and all but its not all rosy.

yes coke at a metal gig

yes fighting at a metal gig

but im not focusing on metal as i said. its the dance/trance pill crowd im talking about
    if he gets,hurt badly at a metal gig, from experience, it means he was acting like a twat & drew the rath of the guys..

Fights very seldom hapoen at metal gigs.. especially when compared to the scumfests,like oxegen this year.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    if he gets,hurt badly at a metal gig, from experience, it means he was acting like a twat & drew the rath of the guys..

Fights very seldom hapoen at metal gigs.. especially when compared to the scumfests,like oxegen this year.

Scumfest?
    I'm sorry but has the event happened yet? have any fights actually happened yet?

keep your bigoted comments to yerself would ya.

• Advertisement

Scumfest?
    I'm sorry but has the event happened yet? have any fights actually happened yet?

keep your bigoted comments to yerself would ya.

Your one of the few (if any?) offering such staunch defense of Oxegen!

Advertisement