Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

To be fair though, when you're at Oxegen you don't really care about the weather. The rain is all part and parcel of the fun.

I do actually, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Oh snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

lordgoat wrote: »
    Huge gang of us went to Primavera in the sunshine, not a patch of wet ground or mud anywhere. we all had a much better time.

How much did that cost in total-ish out of curiosity?

Would almost go next year on the basis of NMH alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

It bucketed down for about 10 minutes 3 seperate times yesterday with thunder and lightning. How did the crowd at the campsite react? by cheering and dancing. They didnt mind at all.

Come about 11pm there wasnt much mud in the campsite at all. However, it might be a different story today and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

lordgoat wrote: »
    Huge gang of us went to Primavera in the sunshine, not a patch of wet ground or mud anywhere. we all had a much better time.

How do you know you had a better time than him and his friends?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I agree with people (even though im not a fan of the line up) that i hope it does go well crowd wise and there is no trouble over the weekend.

When it comes to weather it never really mattered for me , obviously i would have rathered sun every year but if it was raining it didnt really stop me from having fun any year i went or any gig over the last few years

Oh another thing I noticed was that the campsite was absolutely packed! there literally wasnt room to move between peoples tents.

With only a single campsite, do you think they underestimated the amount of space needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

I agree with people (even though im not a fan of the line up) that i hope it does go well crowd wise and there is no trouble over the weekend.

When it comes to weather it never really mattered for me , obviously i would have rathered sun every year but if it was raining it didnt really stop me from having fun any year i went or any gig over the last few years

You hit the nail on the head, Just because you may not like the line up doesn't mean someone else would love it, next year the line up may be suited towards yourself and not cater to this years crowd at all.

As for peoples comments on the weather, I always enjoyed a bit of rain because it can help cool you down in a packed crowd, the mud fights were always something that I thought were cool at Oxegen.. People just having a bit of crack and enjoying themselves without a care in the world. :D

*EDIT*

Pic from Examples Facebook tonight:

20204_10151814027797174_372552523_n.jpg

Seems to be a fair size crowd anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

DC10555 wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head, Just because you may not like the line up doesn't mean someone else would love it, next year the line up may be suited towards yourself and not cater to this years crowd at all.

As for peoples comments on the weather, I always enjoyed a bit of rain because it can help cool you down in a packed crowd, the mud fights were always something that I thought were cool at Oxegen.. People just having a bit of crack and enjoying themselves without a care in the world. :D

*EDIT*

I don't know why, but I want to shoot all them people with my pellet gun!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

nocoverart wrote: »
    I don't know why, but I want to shoot all them people with my pellet gun!

:confused:

• Advertisement

DC10555 wrote: »

*EDIT*

Kinda looks like the size of a crowd you would get from the 2nd stage usually at Oxegen

Even the stage looks small enough
    1146664_10152493631190260_1477643687_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

It's difficult to tell with that first pic how busy it is cause you can actually only see as far as the back of the pit. And is that second pick of the second stage? Which is a good bit smaller, I guess the screens are gone from it this year? But the second stage at Oxegen was always generally sparse enough until the late evening basically and even then some nights depending on who the headliner was it could be pretty empty still, so just as well maybe.

fewtins wrote: »
    It's difficult to tell with that first pic how busy it is cause you can actually only see as far as the back of the pit. And is that second pick of the second stage? Which is a good bit smaller, I guess the screens are gone from it this year? But the second stage at Oxegen was always generally sparse enough until the late evening basically and even then some nights depending on who the headliner was it could be pretty empty still, so just as well maybe.

Nope 2nd picture was from Calvin Harris's set . Got it from the Oxegen fb

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭HelpImAlive

There is no pit at oxegen this year AFAIK.. the pic you see there is just literally the entire crowd

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/rain-fails-to-dampen-spirits-at-punchestown-1.1484176

“She’d be a great country if you could roof her.” As the so-called VIPs by virtue of their wristbands surveyed the rain pummeling Punchestown outside the backstage bar tent, that remark was inevitable. But the sun was teasing, so this is festival weather: shorts and a poncho. Welcome to a very different Oxegen, far removed from its pinnacle of dozens and dozens of thousands pumping their fists to rock bands.

Oxegen 2.0 is about dance and pop with a dash of hip hop, the soundtrack to a sizable portion of youth culture in Ireland - well those who haven’t left yet anyway.

“Are you ready to go f***ing stupid?” The MC for DJ Fresh on the Heineken Live Project Stage didn’t have to ask, as a crowd of a few hundred let go of the odd inflated condom-turned-balloon and got down to dancing. One of the biggest improvements at Irish festivals in recent years has been the quality of sound blaring from the PA system, and DJ Fresh’s live set up took full advantage.

Meanwhile in possibly the best venue in the country to have a rave, Rory Lynam was an early highlight at the Red Bull Electric Ballroom, taking no prisoners as he bashed out the tunes, standing on the table of his decks while Patrick Hagenaar’s remix of Rudimental’s ‘Feel The Live’ shook the foundations of not only the hangar but possibly also nearby Naas.

The Red Bull Garden next to the massive warehouse offered a more Balearic serving of house and techno. The Other Stage, in a location traditionally reserved for the artists, press and VIPs, illustrated how reduced this installment of Oxegen has become. By 7pm, just a handful were dancing to a set from Simon Says.

The fun fair was equally sparse. But why jump on a ride when there was dancing to be had? Security personnel were everywhere. At all entrances to the stage, at the toilets, walking around on site surveying the scene. Early in the evening, a young woman was stretchered away by the bumper cars, but overall the crowd appeared in control, friends looking after each other, bar one group who chose to video their mate vomiting rather than rub his back.

Before 7.30pm, crowds streamed to see Rita Ora who opened with an emphatic version of ‘Radioactive’, her black-clad dancers looking like rave special ops pulsating to a hint of Diplo’s ‘Pon De Floor’. In a green jumpsuit and red lipstick, she proved why she’s signed to Jay-Z’s Roc Nation label, with a voice as prominent as her neon microphone, and a blistering presence to match. “If there’s one thing you guys came to do tonight, that’s to f***in’ party, am I right?” she questioned, before asking the crowd to make some noise for DJ Fresh.

The derogatory comments on social media towards the Oxegen demographic judges from afar, as if there is something wrong with kids wanting to go crazy for a weekend of dance music. This is no country for old guitar strings. Yes, Oxegen has changed utterly, so go hard or go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Mr.S wrote: »
    Another article from her,

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/oxegen-spectacle-set-to-hit-fever-pitch-with-guetta-1.1484298

Haven't heard of much trouble happening too. I'd say with a bit of rebranding and possibly moving it to Marlay, this will be back next year in some form!

Una sums it up perfectly, the only people complaining are those clutching onto the old oxegen and are older, not the festival for them anymore!

I still don't get why people are complaining, we knew way before the announcement that the lineup was going to be dance / hip hop and on a reduced scale, clearly the old style oxegen wasn't working.

Its a shame we don't have a major popular festival anymore, but with FF / longitude / EP / Others we have it pretty well covered. This weekend alone there are 3 camping festivals happening, two of which are just going to get bigger and bigger.

Agree with a lot of that, I hope it passes off without any incident, seems to have so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Mr.S wrote: »
    the only people complaining are those clutching onto the old oxegen and are older, not the festival for them anymore!

I'm one of those older festival goers... I didn't have high hopes for Oxegen yesterday, but DJ Fresh, ably assited by Fleur, Rita Ora, Labrinth and Example were all excellent, I really enjoyed it. Labrinth in particular rocked out on stage.

Sure there was no rock bands, and yes, Oxegen has changed, but I still found it to be a cracking day out, even if some tool insisted I was drugs squad!

Oh and as soon as this old body recovers, I'll be heading back up to catch Snoop and a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Kinda looks like the size of a crowd you would get from the 2nd stage usually at Oxegen

Second stage, called the Other Stage, is tiny!

265582.jpg

And crowds were indeed really small at the main stage. Could get right up near the front with still plenty of room to move around.

265583.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Has there any negative incidents of note yet? Im hearing murmurings that there has but as it hasn't been mentioned anywhere reputable i take it there hasn't been?

I think chase and status would be quite good tonight, if you're there/going id advise it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

The Heineken stage is huge and the bass is massive. Top quality. So far I cant fault it in any way. The rain is heavy but its only showers. Some girls are getting sunburnt its so hot. Brilliant so far

Theres a **** load of rumours but ask the gardai and **** all has happened

corkgsxr wrote: »
    The Heineken stage is huge and the bass is massive. Top quality. So far I cant fault it in any way. The rain is heavy but its only showers. Some girls are getting sunburnt its so hot. Brilliant so far

looking at the picure above the stage does look bigger but , looks like same size as the usual 2nd stage and longitude festival main stage

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

been to every oxegen and tbh i'm going home this eve for the first time, people having fun, lots of banter, but not my bag, crowd has changed to something i dont really feel comfortable in and from my eyes(i work these things) the event for its size was a success, its a new event, new genre, new crowd and it will only build on it. regards the rumours, there has been zero stabbings from my understanding in here, there is a rough element here, i wont lie, but security has stepped up from previous years and with reduced festival size, seems to be managing very well in comparision to previous oxegens

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

I know of at least one person who has come home early from this, crawling with scumbags apparently, and they've been robbed too, not willing to risk the carnage of a dodgy crowd going all out on the last night

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

The stage doesn't really have to big if you think about it.

The stage doesn't really have to big if you think about it.

Its awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Alanhooly wrote: »
    Has there any negative incidents of note yet? Im hearing murmurings that there has but as it hasn't been mentioned anywhere reputable i take it there hasn't been?

I think chase and status would be quite good tonight, if you're there/going id advise it!

Like anyone on Boards.ie would be able to comment on it :pac:

Seems like everyone on here is just dying for something bad to happen so that can slate it!
    When in reality, its no worse than any other large festival. A handful of bad incidents are going to happen regardless of whether its oxegen, electric picnic, or elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Seems like everyone on here is just dying for something bad to happen so that can slate it!
    When in reality, its no worse than any other large festival. A handful of bad incidents are going to happen regardless of whether its oxegen, electric picnic, or elsewhere.

Sad state of affairs, people willing there to be trouble :(

Advertisement