Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Seems like everyone on here is just dying for something bad to happen so that can slate it!
    When in reality, its no worse than any other large festival. A handful of bad incidents are going to happen regardless of whether its oxegen, electric picnic, or elsewhere.

Had a feeling there wouldn't be much more trouble than the average festival. Its like last year at EP when everyone said the Killers would cause so much more trouble but they didn't, and how everyone thought Black Keys at the O2 would be ruined by the "I only know Lonely Boy" crowd, but everyone was only there to have a good time anyway. Arguments made by music snobs need more substance, sometimes they will just say whatever they like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Do the moaners on here not go to nightclubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

From the Facebook Photos that i have seen of Oxegen it does not look like it was not that bad of a festival it has been down sized over other years but it was marketed as Dance not Rock this year.

Ok it was Chart Dance music festival but if i was able to go i still would have as €50 for a day is for notting to see maybe 6+ acts that would wont to see anyway. Like the last time Example played here it €44.50 or something and €50 to see him and Calvin Harris is really really good deal.

Independence was on the same weekend as well and if i could name maybe 8 people who where playing at it i would have been shocked as like i was post to go Saturday to it but i did not go in the end as like i did not plan to stand around board by the music.

Far play to MCD this year not to get much trouble at it. If its on next year i will try and go myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Independence was on the same weekend as well and if i could name maybe 8 people who where playing at it i would have been shocked

For me, that's the most recognisable Indiependence line-up yet. I was actually surprised by just how many established artists they booked this year. I doubt you would have been bored if you went.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

Went for 3 the days no camping and didn't see any trouble whatsoever. The rough element was there but everyone just wants to have a good time and you'd have to be unlucky to find the 1 or 2% who go for trouble. Found everyone to be super friendly. Had a blast and 130 euro for the weekend was well worth paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Change of security could be a big reason! There all Scottish northen lads who take absoulte no bo*lix off anyone!

Seen not one fight! Nothing like 09 tough changed so much sad

Stil a smashing day out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

so there were more knife incidents in 2011 when Foo Fighters, Black Eyed Peas and Coldplay headlined, than this year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

"It's gonna be like Coldplay all over again" doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I was at Oxegen 04 to 06 and after the ham fisted disaster of 06 I swore off it. Went back through much persuasion in 11 and though there was incidents it was clear 06 wasn't gonna happen again. The reason? Proper security. The grotesque thugs that operated security before had been replaced, and yes it was relevant that I didn't hear a single Irish accent amongst the security. These were trained and experienced guys who knew how festivals worked.

That being said I was at Swedish last year and will forever thank myself lucky I didn't witness any of the reported incidents, let alone find myself the victim of them. For that reason I couldn't bring myself to go to oxegen this year. But credit where it's due, I haven't heard of any incidents of note and I live in the centre of Naas town and there was no spill out of eejits or violence into the town that I could see, whole thing seems to have been a success from the organisational point of view

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

I wish I went to Oxegen back in the day when it was unreal. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

ThirdMan wrote: »
    For me, that's the most recognisable Indiependence line-up yet. I was actually surprised by just how many established artists they booked this year. I doubt you would have been bored if you went.

Really if thats the case who would i have liked to see then ?

As i look at the line up for Reading this year :eek: Now thats what i call a line up. The Dance Stage has some of the best Eltro house and Dub Step DJs in the world playing at it.

Every kind of music is covered there not just one style of music so you will never get board at it on like Indiependence ........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I wish I went to Oxegen back in the day when it was unreal. :(

Nostalgia has rose tinted glass m'boy. Having said that, the first Witnness was pretty unreal. Since it was the first year and they were trying to make a name for themselves, anyone who signed up to the mailing list got a pass to the VIP area at the festival, which included free Guinness and small tent sessions with some of the bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

All over now! Honestly, I have to say it was just grand.
    No idea about the music as I wasnt anywhere near it, but the crowd were fine. Scumbags were in the minority, there wasnt much anti-social behaviour, in general everyone was in a good mood and smiling.

Small campsite, no "major" stabbings, of course there were quite a few incidents but over all no different than electric picnic.

JJ wrote: »
    Nostalgia has rose tinted glass m'boy. Having said that, the first Witnness was pretty unreal. Since it was the first year and they were trying to make a name for themselves, anyone who signed up to the mailing list got a pass to the VIP area at the festival, which included free Guinness and small tent sessions with some of the bands.

I dunno, the days of Oxegen being sold out and the buzz about it, listening to it on the radio.

Seems EP has taken over.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Irish Times
    Numbers were down and the size of the site had shrunk, but for those who were there, Oxegen worked. Punchestown hosted two and a half days of dance music on the hard and commercial ends of the spectrum, dancing away from its rock and indie roots and giving people with busy feet something to cheer about.

Last night, the king of commercial dance pop, David Guetta, wrapped up the main stage in front of a big crowd, although there were plenty in the indoor Red Bull Electric Ballroom dancing to Dutch youngster Nicky Romero too. The reduced crowd got on well.

The Irish Times takes no responsibility for the content or availability of other websites.

Gardaí have yet to collate their arrest figures from the weekend, but a spokesman said they were hearing of “small numbers” and “no more than you’d expect.” The boisterous but amicable atmosphere was of course down to the music.

For all of the destain aimed at Oxegen in the run up to the event - a snobbery that is both of music and class - all the young crowd wanted to do was have a good time.

Guetta’s headline show is about trappings, both the additions and constraints of big budget electronic music shows. The production had everything; fireworks exploding at crucial drops, confetti cannons spraying everyone in red ticker tape, multicoloured fireballs, CO2 cannons erupting at appropriate times, coloured lasers stretching out over the crowd, streamer cannons belting yards of red and white tape into the air.

Perched in an elevated DJ booth with a high spec and high tech wall of visuals behind him, the French DJ and producer was surrounded by hugely impressive lighting lighting rigs, which along with everything else were tightly cued with the music, illustrating how impossible it would be for a show based on precision to go off script.

Unfortunately, one of two big screens went black before he arrived on stage. As a result, a third of the crowd were somewhat less engaged. Guetta’s no fool and picked up on it soon enough, “I don’t know what’s going on,” he said into his microphone, generally reserved for amping up the party atmosphere, “it feels like one side is going crazy and one side is sleeping” .

The crowd responded with a little more energy as he bashed out his poppy hits; Love Don’t Let Me Go, Titanium, Ain’t A Party and a few remixes - Ellie Goulding’s Anything Can Happen and Fatboy Slim and Riva Starr’s Eat Sleep Rave Repeat.

There is most certainly a market for this new breed of Oxegen, and the large crowds for certain DJs will also be encouraging for promoters MCD should they be thinking of booking them elsewhere. It will be interesting to observe what lessons emerge from the risk MCD took with the festival, and most importantly, what comes next

Hopefully there was no hassle over the weekend and the festival keeps going . Even though i dont like the line up but i hope it grows into a top festival for that kind of music . Now come on MCD give us a Rock festival ha

Unfortunately, one of two big screens went black before he arrived on stage. As a result, a third of the crowd were somewhat less engaged. Guetta’s no fool and picked up on it soon enough, “I don’t know what’s going on,” he said into his microphone, generally reserved for amping up the party atmosphere, “it feels like one side is going crazy and one side is sleeping” .

This is a terrible paragraph. He's no fool for noticing a screen wasn't working?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Just got back this afternoon after my weekend camping and I absolutely loved it. Only went to see seven acts in total and they were all absolutely smashing bar Guetta in my opinion. I also didn't see any trouble whatsoever and when I asked a couple of the security people if there had been any serious incidents they said there was nothing major. Everyone I spoke to was absolutely dead on and was just about for the craic and to have a laugh. Unbelievably good weekend and I know I'll be tempted to go back next year if it is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

This is a terrible paragraph. He's no fool for noticing a screen wasn't working?

Well from where he was he can't see the screens. He noticed a difference in the vibe of the crowd from side to the other. That's what he worked on. He never knew there was a broken screen.

Well from where he was he can't see the screens. He noticed a difference in the vibe of the crowd from side to the other. That's what he worked on. He never knew there was a broken screen.

Ok then he noticed half the crowd weren't jumping about. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Ok then he noticed half the crowd weren't jumping about. :P

That's pretty much what he said yeah. If there is a big crowd then you try to bring in everyone if one side isn't responding you'd know something is not right. As lights and screens were central to his show piece then a broke screen can kill the vibe in part of the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Add in Tiesto,Hardwell,Aoki,Aviici next year and this will be a very nice addition to the summer gig circuit
    Fair play to gig goers,mcd and security for proving that dance and house music fans are not the scumbags that the music snobs claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

After comparing the likes of the older Oxygens/EPs etc, I couldn't get over how small the campsite was. One end to the other in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Was a brilliant weekend. Very safe and very good. Only bit I thought was abit **** was charging a tenner for a jump start. Delighted to went

Snoop and calvin were top class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

raven136 wrote: »
    Add in Tiesto,Hardwell,Aoki,Aviici next year and this will be a very nice addition to the summer gig circuit
    Fair play to gig goers,mcd and security for proving that dance and house music fans are not the scumbags that the music snobs claimed.

I'm sorry, but It's hardly House Music that's at this. It's cheesy and commercial dance music, and that's fine, there's a demand for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

raven136 wrote: »

this festival if anything confirmed his to me, well from the campsite anyway, to a lesser extent the arena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

this festival if anything confirmed his to me, well from the campsite anyway, to a lesser extent the arena

Where abouts in the campsite were you staying?

Has a brilliant weekend and didn't see any scumbags or trouble, positive some people just have a personal vendetta against Oxegen now because of the line up this year.

And now that it has come out there was no major trouble(like the anti Oxegen crowd was wishing) people are literally making crap up.

Thats fine anyway, festivals will always be better without bitter music snobs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Now come on MCD give us a Rock festival ha

Uh...Longitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

JJ wrote: »
    Uh...Longitude?

I think they meant rock with a capital R. Longitude had bands, but you'd be hard pressed to call it a rock festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Credit also to Una Mullaly,she was one of the few Irish Music Journalists who approached this with an open mind to start with it and reported on it over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Really good show put on this year ,

I done a visuals gig for John Gibbons in the dance arena and I was expecting the worse as I was down front of house , from many year doing shows in Redbox/Tripod I was expecting the worse with drink going all over the place and folks acting the ejits !

Crowd were great , security was top notch and all the crew I worked with were easy going and could not do enough for you .

Had a nosey about the place and was impressed and didnt see one row , although I was only there on the Sunday ,

Anyway here is a clip of the show and as you will see people are just have a good time and the stage setup is very good too,

Its from the dance arena so if you dont like dance music dont watch/listen

** A note on the security , they have been doing the picnic for years and are a decent lot **

Advertisement