Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 polarax

I thought it was a brilliant weekend. Didn't see one bit of trouble out there. i would definitely return if it is on next year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Mr.S wrote: »
    So lots of positives about the festival and bar the usual festival trouble, nothing major negative. The festival probably made a loss this year, I wouldn't be surprised if MCD put this in Marlay or Phoenix Park next year and get rid of the camping (less then 8k camped this year or something).

Can also see longitude becoming bigger and possibly turning into a proper festival.

I was told camping was sold out on the saturday and at that stage only a few day passes for the Sunday left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

raven136 wrote: »
    Credit also to Una Mullaly,she was one of the few Irish Music Journalists who approached this with an open mind to start with it and reported on it over the weekend.

I see where you're coming from, but if you're going to blast out as much anti-snobbery nonsense as she has this weekend you've a pretty closed mind in the opposite direction.

Again ill reiterate, love the genre of music at this year's oxegen, wouldn't dream of camping after Swedish. Yes, it went off without a hitch. But I didn't know that ahead of time and it wasn't snobbery stopped me from going, it was pure common sense based on what I have experienced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

niallon wrote: »
    I see where you're coming from, but if you're going to blast out as much anti-snobbery nonsense as she has this weekend you've a pretty closed mind in the opposite direction.

Again ill reiterate, love the genre of music at this year's oxegen, wouldn't dream of camping after Swedish. Yes, it went off without a hitch. But I didn't know that ahead of time and it wasn't snobbery stopped me from going, it was pure common sense based on what I have experienced

It was more than just music snobbery,a quick scan through this thread alone will show you that.
    Seems there was almost disappointment that there was no trouble this year
    There was an awful lot of posters that seemed to forget that at Swedish House Mafia that most of the trouble was a tiny minority and i think the stabbings were one person?
    At Guetta,Example and a line up of other dance acts in Marlay last year that there was no trouble.

That didnt stop numerous posters claiming that this type of music would attract "Scum" and to bring stab vests etc etc

The lineup was indicated well in advance that this year would be different,hotpress,jim carroll,mullaly etc all said that this would be a dance/pop gig
    Hence the phoenix park,ep,longtitude line ups all had better than expected lineups of guitar/indie type bands
    Most years Oxegen would have had Mumford,Killers,Ben Howard type music

I think its good to have a decent dance festival here
    I still think mcd should do a co promotion with electric daisy etc and bring bigger acts next year

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently the campsite only had room for 8k.

Less then 25k ticket sales per day is relatively poor as well for event of this caliber (and potential).

Ticketmaster sources....

Less than 10k weekend tickets sold - they were expecting 25k per licence application. Campsite was slimmed down from an already slimmed down size.

Less than 5k day tickets sold for Saturday

Around 10k day tickets for Sunday. David Guetta pulls a crowd.

25k tickets sold in total. A lot less than the 50k they were expecting and a whole lot less than the mad 75k figure they had in the Indo. Either the reporter was on drugs or they thought it was 25 per day

• Advertisement

Ticketmaster sources....

Less than 10k weekend tickets sold - they were expecting 25k per licence application. Campsite was slimmed down from an already slimmed down size.

25k tickets sold in total. A lot less than the 50k they were expecting and a whole lot less than the mad 75k figure they had in the Indo. Either the reporter was on drugs or they thought it was 25 per day

I cant understand how there was only 5k there for Saturday

Guetta and Example sold out Marlay park
    Example sold out the O2 himself

The videos from Saturday show a fine size crowd

No way was it near the old days mind you

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

JJ wrote: »
    Uh...Longitude?

Longitude wasnt a rock festival , i mean REading/Leeds/Download/Sonisphere type festival

raven136 wrote: »
    I cant understand how there was only 5k there for Saturday

There wasn't 5k there....

There was 15k there on Sat - the 10k weekend plus 5k day tickets

There was 20k there on Sun - the 10k weekend plus 10k day tickets

Total tickets sold over the weekend = 10k weekend + 5k Sat + 10k Sun = 25k

Una Mullaly is right in the Times today.Rebrand this as Electric Daisy/Ultra because there is between 30-50k who will go to a dance festival every year

Mcd wont allow them to just disappear

"I wasn’t there for the first day, but I heard there were less than 10,000 people on site on Friday night, this increased a fair whack on Saturday (although the site didn’t seem anywhere near full), and it felt as thought the crowd almost doubled again on Sunday"

"Define success? I’d say there were a lot of people just hoping it would pass off without any drama. I also thought that when it went on sale, tickets would fly out for it. They didn’t. Perhaps if Oxegen was rebranded from the get go as an Electric Daisy Carnival/Ultra type event, it would have been more successful. Mammies and Daddies kept hearing about what happened at Swedish House Mafia over a year later and might have been reluctant to part with a ticket price they probably don’t even have in the first place. The media was obsessed with potential violence at the event – every radio station that rang me in the run up to the event to discuss it just wanted to mildly stoke those flames to have something to talk about"

"You can’t deny that there’s a huge market for commercial dance music gigs. Look at how many people are heading to Avicii in Belfast this month. But is Oxegen the festival that can capitalise on the tens of thousands of people who want to rave in a field? We’ll know next summer, because you can’t imagine the promoters are going to let that crowd go, even if they’re struggling to figure out how to get them somewhere en masse."

The comments on social media and in conversations that Oxegen 2013 was for “knackers”. I hate using that word, but that’s the term that was constantly thrown around in the run up to the festival. It’s a disgraceful way to label a crowd. I wonder how people would react if all of a sudden it was decreed that that everyone going to Electric Picnic were “******s” and decided to broadcast this conclusion constantly in the run up to Stradbally? There would be uproar.

There were two prevailing sets of commentary on the Oxegen hashtag over the weekend if you did a quick search of Twitter. Those who were tweeting from the site were having the time of their lives. Those we were tweeting from afar were saying the most unbelievably derogatory things about people heading down to Punchestown to have a dance.

Una Mullalys verdict in the times today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

So basically it went off well. No trouble. From how it looked to me camp was full. Numbers looked decent. Cant really fault it. But its still not good enough for the doubters.

To me it looks like it could never win in alot of people's eyes and it does look like people are disappointed there was no trouble.

The old keyboard warriors are never happy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I was at it for 3 days .I seen zero trouble at it and there was a alot of guards at it aswell.
    Everyone was in good spirts even when it was pissing down.
    I dont think id go next year and the only reason being dance music is not my sort of thing.
    The camp site was tiny in comparison to previous years.

Overall the craic was class , music was only ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I was at it for 3 days .I seen zero trouble at it and there was a alot of guards at it aswell.
    Everyone was in good spirts even when it was pissing down.
    I dont think id go next year and the only reason being dance music is not my sort of thing.
    The camp site was tiny in comparison to previous years.

Overall the craic was class , music was only ok.

Good to hear there was no trouble anyway, not my type of music by any stretch but good to see the people baying for trouble at it didnt get their wish.

Following the conclusion of OXEGEN 2013, MCD Productions & Festival Republic wish to extend their gratitude and thanks to all those who made the show a great success, in particular the local residents and their local community, Punchestown Racecourse, Kildare County Council, An Garda Siochana & security personnel, Medical staff, Fire Brigade, the many Artists, crews and all those involved in running the event, not least the 50,000 very well behaved fans who attended across the weekend and made the whole festival experience special.

Thank you and have a safe journey home.

MCD Productions & Festival Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

corkgsxr wrote: »
    So basically it went off well. No trouble. From how it looked to me camp was full. Numbers looked decent. Cant really fault it. But its still not good enough for the doubters.

To me it looks like it could never win in alot of people's eyes and it does look like people are disappointed there was no trouble.

The old keyboard warriors are never happy
    ah sure many were pi$$ed off there was no good rock fest this year, i've had loads of good memories and seen many great bands at oxegen and there was nothing appealing to me this year....so i guess it's well done to the new crowd and may the future be bright!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

So basically it went off well. No trouble.

far from it, I wouldnt take what keyboard warriors are posting here as fact. You will never get the full extent of incidents occuring on site, every year there are issues that slide under the radar. In fairness it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, but it certainly wasnt an improvement on previous years. Again this is just my opinion

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

What things fell under the radar? I'm not saying there was no trouble, there surly was, but wouldn't anything major (stabbings, major assaults etc etc) be reported?

--

Noticeable missing from the "thank you" message from MCD/FR is the "...See you next year!"

an incident can occur but due to details being unclear given the second or third hand nature of the information reaching the relevent authorities, it can't be spoken about openly.

Every year theres plenty if incidents that occur, that never see the light of day.

TBH i can't understand how anyone felt comfortable in that campsite, and the car park was pretty damn grim too, but maybe I've just lived a sheltered life and suffer from princess and the pea syndrome

--

Noticeable missing from the "thank you" message from MCD/FR is the "...See you next year!"

Yea noticed that myself

far from it, I wouldnt take what keyboard warriors are posting here as fact. You will never get the full extent of incidents occuring on site, every year there are issues that slide under the radar. In fairness it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, but it certainly wasnt an improvement on previous years. Again this is just my opinion

A crowd that size will always have minor incidents. But there seems to have been nothing major.

There was not one point where I felt threatened or unsafe. Much safer than a Saturday night out in town

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

an incident can occur but due to details being unclear given the second or third hand nature of the information reaching the relevent authorities, it can't be spoken about openly.

Every year theres plenty if incidents that occur, that never see the light of day.

TBH i can't understand how anyone felt comfortable in that campsite, and the car park was pretty damn grim too, but maybe I've just lived a sheltered life and suffer from princess and the pea syndrome

Maybe you have. Tbh I was expecting it to be worse than the SHM gig but thankfully it wasn't. I'm sure like every other year there were a few fights and a good few people got arrested for dealing/possession but if there were any serious incidents like stabbings or serious assaults that put people in hospital it would have been reported. Seems it went off a lot cleaner than expected.

• Advertisement

What things fell under the radar? I'm not saying there was no trouble, there surly was, but wouldn't anything major (stabbings, major assaults etc etc) be reported?

--

Next year no camping and Electric Daisy Marlay Park maybe

A crowd that size will always have minor incidents. But there seems to have been nothing major.

There was not one point where I felt threatened or unsafe. Much safer than a Saturday night out in town

been to every oxegen, every ep, 5 latitiudes, 3 big chills, 3 glastos, 4 leeds and 3 downloads, and even one rough a f**k HiFi Festival, to name just a few and this was a bad crowd, worse than any. in saying that, again, it went alot better than i expected. security did a great job and on the managementof the campsites and arena was top notch, well run festival, bad customer base

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

been to every oxegen, every ep, 5 latitiudes, 3 big chills, 3 glastos, 4 leeds and 3 downloads, and even one rough a f**k HiFi Festival, to name just a few and this was a bad crowd, worse than any. in saying that, again, it went alot better than i expected. security did a great job and on the managementof the campsites and arena was top notch, well run festival, bad customer base

I find this just impossible to believe, that out of EVERYONE who I know that went, not one seen a bit of trouble and not one had a problem with anyone or seen any of these so called scumbags or people who looked like they made up a 'bad crowd'
    I mean, how do you even define that..unless you seen them doing something? :/

SV wrote: »
    I find this just impossible to believe, that out of EVERYONE who I know that went, not one seen a bit of trouble and not one had a problem with anyone or seen any of these so called scumbags or people who looked like they made up a 'bad crowd'
    I mean, how do you even define that..unless you seen them doing something? :/

They were wearing wellys. Only country boys who cant handle there drink wear wellys to a festival.

And alot of heads in runners and tracksuits. Only scum who take drugs and knife random people wear that to a festival.

Proof if you ever needed it :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Ticketmaster sources....

I can tell you this aint true , Ive no affiliation with MCD ,

I was informed by very reliable sources on site that there was 40K sold by Thursday ,

I Think there was only one real show on the Friday night in the dance arena and everything else was on the Saturday /Sunday

Going by your numbers there was less than 20K there on the Sunday :eek:

Being there I can tell you there was more than that , a lot more.

The capacity was supposedly 50K and the place was as good as sold out on the Sunday ,

Make of that what you will

I was informed by very reliable sources on site that there was 40K sold by Thursday ,

I Think there was only one real show on the Friday night in the dance arena and everything else was on the Saturday /Sunday

The capacity was supposedly 50K and the place was as good as sold out on the Sunday ,

you sources are incorrect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

you sources are incorrect

No response then?

Seems like you're just one of these anti oxegen '13 crowd with no real proof of anything and just saying ambiguous stuff to put it down this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'm kind of interested in the feeling that seems to be around that dance music=bad fans=trouble and violence. Now maybe I'm picking that up wrong but that's definitely the feeling I'm getting from the nay sayers. It also seems to be suggested that rock festivals would not have the same levels of violence. I really don't see how that's the case. Rock bands are big into moshing. I've been at my share of moshes and I'm convinced people break bones, get knocked out and injured. Why is this type of violence ignored, and yet any trouble at a dance type event is massively highlighted? Violence at any event should be condemned but it sees there's a touch of double standards being peddled.

As a side note I'm delighted the festival went off well, may even think about it myself next year if its on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

capacity was 25k, as per MCD's own official documentation.
    your "reliable sources" don't know what they're talking about.

• Advertisement

Yes. 20k or thereabouts. 10k weekend plus 10k day tickets. MCD reduced capacity to 25k - see statements from last week - so there was NO WAY on earth that there were 50k there on Sunday. Could not happen. Garda transport plan was for 25k max - 50k would have doubled that and would have caused chaos on the site and around the racecourse, which did NOT happen.

Sorry man, but your sources are fibbing.

Advertisement