Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2013

Options
1545556575860»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Well done Oxegen.

I was as concerned as the rest of us...but credit where its due.

I'm delighted people had a blast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Yes. 20k or thereabouts. 10k weekend plus 10k day tickets. MCD reduced capacity to 25k - see statements from last week - so there was NO WAY on earth that there were 50k there on Sunday. Could not happen. Garda transport plan was for 25k max - 50k would have doubled that and would have caused chaos on the site and around the racecourse, which did NOT happen.

Sorry man, but your sources are fibbing.

Spoke to them again this morning and they are adamant that was they case , either way tis no skin off my nose ,

There seems to be some very downbeat people in here really against the festival,

I cant see why "staff members" of MCD/FR would be on here perceiving the festival in a negative spotlight ,

Firstly its commercially sensitive information I would presume

Secondly it would not be in there own working interests,

Anyway on that note Il bow out and leave the conspiracy theorist's to it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I never said i worked for mcd of fr. But alas its all conjurer on here, nothing is fact on an online thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Let's be fair though. After the SHM gig and the reports of trouble on Oxegen campsites in later years, it was always going to be difficult to regain the trust of the punter (and parents) for a gig like this.

I'd imagine this is part of a 2-3 year plan to grow this type of gig. This weekend certainly proved there is potential for an EDM-style festival. Agree that it should be rebranded though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Another example of why Oxegen should rebrand or even move to Marlay Park

Tiest/Calvin Harris with Pete Tong going to sell out the 02 no problem
    Example sold out the 02
    Guetta sold out Marlay Park
    Aviici sold tickets really well in Belfast

There is an appetite for house/dance/cheesy dance/commerical dance in this country and a 2 day festival should sell way better than Oxegen did this year.

I stick by what I said,rebrand or bring electric daisy over here and a joint promotion with mcd etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

raven136 wrote: »
    Another example of why Oxegen should rebrand or even move to Marlay Park

Tiest/Calvin Harris with Pete Tong going to sell out the 02 no problem
    Example sold out the 02
    Guetta sold out Marlay Park
    Aviici sold tickets really well in Belfast

There is an appetite for house/dance/cheesy dance/commerical dance in this country and a 2 day festival should sell way better than Oxegen did this year.

I stick by what I said,rebrand or bring electric daisy over here and a joint promotion with mcd etc

I doubt they will bring EDC to Ireland, especially when theres a **** load of "EDM" festivals in Europe at the moment, Tomorrowland was enough and then this year they added Ultra in Croatia and in London, the "EDM" scene is gonna go bust itself if it keeps vomiting up festivals left right and center. Event like EDC work out a lot better when you have amazing weather like in Vegas.

Taking these major names and reloacating them to another part of the world does not bring the same magic to that area, I mean do people honestly think TomorrowWorld will have the same magical feeling that TomorrowLand has? If people want to have a particular festival experience go to that festival, don't wait for it to come to you.

IMO Ireland just needs to get Oxegen back to it's roots which is an awesome overall Rock/Pop festival and let them keep the dance arena as it is, maybe if they allow some of the larger electronic artist to play the larger stages it would work well..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

DC10555 wrote: »
    I doubt they will bring EDC to Ireland, especially when theres a **** load of "EDM" festivals in Europe at the moment, Tomorrowland was enough and then this year they added Ultra in Croatia and in London, the "EDM" scene is gonna go bust itself if it keeps vomiting up festivals left right and center. Event like EDC work out a lot better when you have amazing weather like in Vegas.

Taking these major names and reloacating them to another part of the world does not bring the same magic to that area, I mean do people honestly think TomorrowWorld will have the same magical feeling that TomorrowLand has? If people want to have a particular festival experience go to that festival, don't wait for it to come to you.

IMO Ireland just needs to get Oxegen back to it's roots which is an awesome overall Rock/Pop festival and let them keep the dance arena as it is, maybe if they allow some of the larger electronic artist to play the larger stages it would work well..

EDC was in London this year and was a massive success
    Oxegen is a dance festival now it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

It also seems to be suggested that rock festivals would not have the same levels of violence. I really don't see how that's the case. Rock bands are big into moshing. I've been at my share of moshes and I'm convinced people break bones, get knocked out and injured. Why is this type of violence ignored, and yet any trouble at a dance type event is massively highlighted? Violence at any event should be condemned but it sees there's a touch of double standards being peddled.

I'm not going to compare rock festivals to dance festivals as I've never been to the latter as the music just isn't my thing but personally I've been to Download festival twice as well as more rock/metal gigs then I can count and the thing about mosh pits are that the people who want to mosh are the ones moshing. Mosh pits are easily avoided, and anyone who gets hurt in a mosh pit has brought it on themselves. They aren't my thing personally so I always step away if one is forming near me but I wouldn't begrudge anyone getting involved if that's their idea of fun. 9 times out of 10 it's just people having a bit of craic and if it looks like anyone has genuinely gotten hurt the rest of the "pit" will always stop and check that your man is ok (in my experience anyway).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

grimm2005 wrote: »
    I'm not going to compare rock festivals to dance festivals as I've never been to the latter as the music just isn't my thing but personally I've been to Download festival twice as well as more rock/metal gigs then I can count and the thing about mosh pits are that the people who want to mosh are the ones moshing. Mosh pits are easily avoided, and anyone who gets hurt in a mosh pit has brought it on themselves. They aren't my thing personally so I always step away if one is forming near me but I wouldn't begrudge anyone getting involved if that's their idea of fun. 9 times out of 10 it's just people having a bit of craic and if it looks like anyone has genuinely gotten hurt the rest of the "pit" will always stop and check that your man is ok (in my experience anyway).

agreed, its good spirited in the pits, you go in knowing the risks and you know you will be looked after the moment things turn ugly for you

Advertisement