Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Arctic Monkeys in Malahide Castle was one of the best outdoor gigs I've been at

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Green Day?!?
    when i saw them the "crowd interaction" was completely cringeworthy and so obviously fake and rehearsed it was annoying. and that was years ago, i'm sure it's even worse now.

I saw Green Day in 2009 and 2010 - I think they may have improved, actually. They were changing their setlists every night during those tours (so every city got a couple of different songs, it wasn't not the same show every day), they pulled a few fans up onto the stage with them (sometimes to sing with them, sometimes because someone had a weird costume on) and they seemed to do some off-the-cuff stuff too. BJ talked about previous Dublin venues they'd played too, not just the standard "Oh, Ireland's the best place to play, eveeer" crap.

That sort of thing isn't everyone's cup of tea, though, but I liked it anyway. I don't think it took away from the music, as they played for nearly 3 hours both times (something like 27-30 songs). I have no idea what it's like at the moment though, they seem to have changed direction, again.

I guess it's all subjective anyway. I like a good mix of songs and banter, other people just want music, others again are there for the spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

they pulled a few fans up onto the stage with them (sometimes to sing with them, sometimes because someone had a weird costume on) and they seemed to do some off-the-cuff stuff too.
    they were doing that fans onstage stuff in 2002.
    and i doubt whatever it is is actually "off-the-cuff".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

they were doing that fans onstage stuff in 2002.
    and i doubt whatever it is is actually "off-the-cuff".

Maybe, maybe not. All I'm saying is that a lot of it didn't feel particularly staged or impersonal when I saw them. Who knows? Either way, I enjoyed the 2009 and 2010 shows and, based on those, I probably would go see them again (even though I don't like a lot of their new songs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I saw Green day's set at Reading in the tent in August and they were actually class. It was supposed to be a secret show and something special and all that, and they played way longer than they should have, and Billie Joe took a camera off the camera guy and ran around with it, none of which was probably rehearsed. But it still seemed it. So maybe it's just them? Like, I've seen members of bands climb up on speaker stacks/scale a tent etc. But they're the only band who have made it seem so tame :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

nm wrote: »
    Arctic Monkeys in Malahide Castle was one of the best outdoor gigs I've been at

we must have been at a different gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I love both Arctic Monkeys and Green Day, I've seen AM 6 times live and GD 3 times.
    As much as I love them, I have to agree that Arctic Monkeys aren't a great live band. They're fun to see because they've got such great tunes and the crowd is usually so up for it, but the band do nothing other than just play a song, if you got the same crowd into a nightclub and the monkeys tracks were played over the speakers you'd have a similar experience to the live show. When they played the O2 in 09 (or maybe 10?) they had confetti during Secret Door which seems basic enough but the crowd went mad for it, they should introduce a few more things like that into their set.
    Green Day on the other hand are one of the best live acts in the world. I went to see them in Marlay Park with 4 other people who wouldn't be the biggest GD fans in the world but all agreed it was one of the best live shows they'd ever been to. It's not even just a case of crowd interaction but the pyrotechnics and set were all really well thought out and executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I love both Arctic Monkeys and Green Day, I've seen AM 6 times live and GD 3 times.
    As much as I love them, I have to agree that Arctic Monkeys aren't a great live band. They're fun to see because they've got such great tunes and the crowd is usually so up for it, but the band do nothing other than just play a song, if you got the same crowd into a nightclub and the monkeys tracks were played over the speakers you'd have a similar experience to the live show. When they played the O2 in 09 (or maybe 10?) they had confetti during Secret Door which seems basic enough but the crowd went mad for it, they should introduce a few more things like that into their set.
    Green Day on the other hand are one of the best live acts in the world. I went to see them in Marlay Park with 4 other people who wouldn't be the biggest GD fans in the world but all agreed it was one of the best live shows they'd ever been to. It's not even just a case of crowd interaction but the pyrotechnics and set were all really well thought out and executed.

What's your definition of 'live band' though? If it includes all the bells and whistles of pyro and confetti than fair enough. But seeing Arctics play is definitely nothing like speakers in a nightclub. They're one of the tightest live bands I've ever seen in musical terms, that to me is a great live act. As I said, people want different things from going to see gigs. It's relative to the band too though, do Arctic's songs need fireworks etc, or would they even suit them? I don't think so. I think Green Day's more current stuff suit that kind of atmosphere so I'm sure they would have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

i enjoyed the arctics in 2011, had just about made my way into the pit in the midst of a massive scramble of people trying to push there way in!

was nice to see a few songs i know and like as I waited for the Foos

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

I love Arctic Monkeys (As you can probably tell from my username)

But I don't think the new stuff really lends itself to festivals, especially Oxegen.

The "bangin tunes and DJ sex" was brilliant a few years ago but they have developed to a much calmer sound which won't really get the youngish crowd at Oxegen going IMO

• Advertisement

I love Arctic Monkeys (As you can probably tell from my username)

But I don't think the new stuff really lends itself to festivals, especially Oxegen.

The "bangin tunes and DJ sex" was brilliant a few years ago but they have developed to a much calmer sound which won't really get the youngish crowd at Oxegen going IMO

'Bangin tunes and DJ sets' innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He's in the band, he knows what's correct :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Apologies. Always thought it was sex. Never understood what he meant by it but any mention of sex when I was 12/13 got me excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Apologies. Always thought it was sex. Never understood what he meant by it but any mention of sex when I was 12/13 got me excited.

I'm a lot older than 12 and I still get very excited at the mention of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I guess there has been no more info on whether Oxegen will be going ahead this year??

The thread seems have turned to more talk and personal opinions about bands rather than Oxegen itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Can't see it happening myself.

T In The Park has been announced, christmas has just gone and there is still nothing on Oxegen.

More than likely it will be a few concerts in the Phoenix Park, don't think it will be a completely new festival as MCD would have announced it by now and gave it as much time for promotion as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

karaokeman wrote: »
    Can't see it happening myself.

T In The Park has been announced, christmas has just gone and there is still nothing on Oxegen.

More than likely it will be a few concerts in the Phoenix Park, don't think it will be a completely new festival as MCD would have announced it by now and gave it as much time for promotion as possible.

I'm starting to think the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if MCD settle with 4 gigs (Thurs-Sun) at Phoenix Park in July, with a series of 3 or 4 gigs at Marlay Park in mid-August and possibly one big gig at the Aviva. They also have the two Slane gigs this summer which they will aim to sell out as best they can!!

Not to mind all the other gigs already confirmed, Rihanna, Roger Waters etc etc etc.

Plenty of acts touring next summer who will shift tickets for PP or Marlay: Muse, Killers, Mumford & Sons, The Script, KoL, Stone Roses, Green Day, The Black Keys, Robbie Williams, Biffy Clyro etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

karaokeman wrote: »
    very likely there will be a new MCD festival, and quite possibly two:

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2012/12/18/say-hello-to-longitude-mcds-new-festival-for-2013/
    It would appear that MCD are planning a new music festival called Longitude for July 2013 to run on the same weekend as the Latitude festival in the UK. We understand that offers for acts for the festival have already been made and here’s an indication that a website may be also on the way. Per sources we’ve spoken to today, mooted venues include Fairyhouse Racecourse, Co Meath and Belvedere House, Co Westmeath (which was home to Hi-Fi, MCD’s last attempt to do a boutique festival back in 2006). As previously predicted by OTR, there is also further talk about a two-day EDM festival at Punchestown in August. More info to come.

I reckon Electric Picnic has become much easier to run and fairly profitable so they're going to just make a fest similar to that. Probably less hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Longitude looks to be a certainty for this year then.. just wonder now, with also the dance fest penned in as well seemingly, where will the rock music be fecked?..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

If it isn't going ahead I don't understand why they don't just tell us that already. Getting very impatient!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭LiffeyValleyB

rorrissey wrote: »
    If it isn't going ahead I don't understand why they don't just tell us that already. Getting very impatient!

Fairly sure longitude is happening (same weekend as latitude in the UK) , they are usually officially announced in february.

Follwoing on from the longitude thing, the oxegen website is to expire in feb 2013.. yet to be renewed.. looks like it's RIP oxegen http://www.whois.com/whois/oxegen.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

I think muse are a certantity for the aviva later this year. They are doing stadium shows in England and Europe and said something at their last gig.

As for longitude, if it does happen will it be a copy of the uk festival or will it cater to all bands to keep everyone happy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Yea I was at Muse at the O2 and remember them saying something like "we'll be back in the summer".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Fairly sure longitude is happening (same weekend as latitude in the UK) , they are usually officially announced in february.

oh no that'd be awful, I hope they dont clash, they never did before, Latitude was always the week after Oxegen

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Mr.S wrote: »
    http://www.whois.com/whois/longitudefestival.ie

Also has been registered by MCD in November, so looks certain!
    Its a shame about oxegen :(...Why did they have to kill it.
    I doubt longitude would be my thing....Don't like elbow etc :(

Its a shame about oxegen :(...Why did they have to kill it.
    I doubt longitude would be my thing....Don't like elbow etc :(

That was only last year, previously lattitude has,had blur, the prodigy, even the chilis:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Id say MCD will start announcing details soon. They will be back in full swing next week so they will want at least 1 big announcement in shortly after the new year .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

bennyl10 wrote: »
    That was only last year, previously lattitude has,had blur, the prodigy, even the chilis:)

Are you sure you're on about the same festival???

2006 Headliners: Snow Patrol, Mogwai, Anthony and the Johnsons
    2007 Headliners: Damien Rice, The Good, the Bad and the Queen, Arcade Fire
    2008 Headliners: Franz Ferdinand, Sigur Ros, Interpol
    2009 Headliners: Pet Shop Boys, Grace Jones, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    2010 Headliners: FATM, Belle and Sebastian, Vampire Weekend
    2011 Headliners: The National, Paulo Nutini, Suede
    2012 Headliners: Bon Iver, Elbow, Paul Weller

Advertisement