Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ULMarc

it makes no sense taking a year off tbh, unless it was because it was doing terrible (which it was) which then...kinda makes sense why its probably done and dusted now.

Hopefully they have learnt their lessons and will start from scratch. This Longitude idea sounds great if its a patch on Latitude. Transfer all the pop acts to day gigs in parks

It was probably to clear out the Scobes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ULMarc wrote: »
    It was probably to clear out the Scobes.

dont think its really possible for an irish festival... flushing out pop and dance acts will help i imagine tho

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

dont think its really possible for an irish festival... flushing out pop and dance acts will help i imagine tho
    You're implying that if you listen to dance music etc your a scobe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Just you in particular I think.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

:rolleyes: no not at all, just from events/track records, it seems that associating dance acts or pop acts with an undesirable element at a event whilst to a degree is generalising, holds a large amount of gravitas, and not from hearsay from personal experience i have found as events get more pop based or dance based, the number of incidents occuring and trouble at events increases. of course not all people who enjoy pop/dance at a festival is a knacker, thats a silly assumption, but i do think that they attract them more than any other sort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Vullet93 wrote: »
    So irritating, I mean i can understand taking a year off for last year, but it's just ridiculous with the official facebook page dciking everybody around.

The official facebook page havent put anything up since 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It sounded more like he was saying if you're a scobe you listen to dance music. Which is not the same thing...

It sounded more like he was saying if you're a scobe you listen to dance music. Which is not the same thing...
    Ah I see..
    But I have seen scumbags who listen to rock etc.
    But I would agree that music like pop musc attacks the most scumbags here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lilylady24

Oxegen is coming to Punchestown for a 2 day festival in August 2013, details still being finalised, but openly being reported locally in Kildare today!

Apparantly music on Saturday and SUnday with camping on Friday and sat nights only!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭HelpImAlive

lilylady24 wrote: »
    Oxegen is coming to Punchestown for a 2 day festival in August 2013, details still being finalised, but openly being reported locally in Kildare today!

Apparantly music on Saturday and SUnday with camping on Friday and sat nights only!

Being reported locally doesn't confirm a thing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Being reported locally doesn't confirm a thing..

In fairness most things like that are heard locally before anywhere else.

Yep, there's been meetings between Punchestown and MCD, and planning has already begun!

Really??
    I thought oxegen was finished for sure!!
    Let's hope the rumours are true and I guess the reason for no camping on the last night. Is to prevent trouble, but it will be a pain having to go home on the Sunday.
    Also if it is happening in August does that mean longitude is still going ahead in June?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hopefully its like Reading and Leeds so , but not holding my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

If thats true about no camping on Sunday it'd be a nightmare getting out after the last act. I always leave on Sunday night to beat the crowds/traffic. Always cosy in my bed by about 3am.

Eminem is headlining Reading/Leeds this year so couldn't be an exact crossover like it was (or pretty much was) with T in the Park.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Oh I don't mean an official thing I just mean book a good few of the bands playing R/L because they'll be nearby :D

Yeah, equally they could get the V Festival acts, more similar festival to Oxegen musically. I'd prefer R/L though. If this is true I'd be delighted, two day festival would be much better

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jacob T

How do we know you didn't just make all that up ? :pac:

Jacob T wrote: »
    How do we know you didn't just make all that up ? :pac:
    Haha I think she works for MCD and came here to tell us :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If they did this around Reading / Leeds so we get a good amount of decent bands then this could be great, if true.

Highly doubt there would be no camping on the last day of it did go ahead though, everyone trying to leave late at night would be chaotic.

A nice 80,0000 mainstream festival with cross over's with Reading/Leeds bands would be perfect, get it done MCD, i'm sure they read this thread ;)

Id also cut down on attendance maybe drop it down to 50000/60000 . If they do it the same weekend as R/L(again hoping) it would make sense it is only 2 days since Eminem is in Slane the weekend before . Wonder what would that mean for T-Vital since that is in August aswell

• Advertisement

If they did this around Reading / Leeds so we get a good amount of decent bands then this could be great, if true.

wouldnt work unless the fesitval was wed thurs fri.

I guess they will make an announcement next month if it is going ahead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

im hearing aug 3 ,aug 4 punchestown

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭johnbobtheslob

MCD records ‘strong’ profits

Friday, February 01, 2013
    By Gordon Deegan

Concert promoters MCD Productions recorded “strong” profits last year in spite of a 22% drop in ticket sales to 1.2m.
    Announcing that Oxegen is to return for two days on Aug 3 and 4 this year, MCD chief executive Denis Desmond said yesterday that he was “very happy with 1.2m sales in the current economic climate”.

Describing the 2012 profits as strong, Mr Desmond said that the biggest grossing shows of last year were two Westlife concerts at Croke Park and Madonna at the Aviva.

The level of profits at MCD is not known as it is an unlimited company and therefore not required to disclose annual profits and revenues.

However, figures from Pollstar show that gross revenues from MCD-promoted gigs at Dublin’s O2 Arena alone last year totalled over €20m, with the receipts shared between MCD, the artist, the venue, and Ticketmaster.

MCD gigs at the O2 last year included concerts by Robbie Williams, One Direction, and Van Morrison.

The 1.2m ticket sales saw MCD maintain its place as one of the top 10 promoters worldwide, with Pollstar recording that it was the 10th largest promoter in terms of ticket sales.

The biggest promoter worldwide was Live Nation with 25.1m tickets sold.

However, the tickets sold by MCD Productions last year represented a 22% drop on the 1.54m tickets it shifted in 2011.

Explaining the drop, Mr Desmond said: “The business is cyclical, plus there was no Slane or Oxegen in 2012 and this accounts for the reduction in sales.”

Mr Desmond said that unlike 2012, there will be two MCD-promoted gigs at Slane Castle this year, with Bon Jovi playing on Jun 15 and Eminem on Aug 17.

Mr Desmond said: “Sales are very good this year and the highlights so far are Michael Buble’s five nights at the O2, Rihanna at the Aviva, and Eminem and Bon Jovi at Slane Castle.”

The firm “rested” Oxegen last year and figures provided by Pollstar on the 2011 three-day festival underline the impact it had on MCD revenues last year.

In 2011, Oxegen generated the fifth biggest box office across the world outside the US, with 191,656 or 95% of tickets sold, generating €14.7m in revenues.

Mr Desmond said the line-up for Oxegen will be announced in late February.

Last year, Mr Desmond said the costs of staging the event, taking into account insurance and policing costs, “are very high”. He said: “We need to lower our overheads with Oxegen.”

According to Pollstar, the Westlife concerts at Croke Park last year attracted the 11th largest attendance at an outdoor stadium worldwide, with 187,808 attending the gigs.

The figures show MCD’s series of gigs at the Phoenix Park, which included a Swedish House Mafia gig that was marred by violence, attracted 135,053 people. Mr Desmond refused to comment on the fallout from the show, saying “our report on the Swedish House Mafia is on the MCD website”.

Haha I think she works for MCD and came here to tell us :)

Don't work for MCD, just live near Punchestown so heard the news!

Oh and its being planned for August bank holiday weekend! but totally agree, it'll be some mess tryin to get people to leave on Sunday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Oh and its being planned for August bank holiday weekend! but totally agree, it'll be some mess tryin to get people to leave on Sunday night!

That reminds me of the one time I went camping at Witnness/Oxegen and they started waking people up at stupid o'clock on the Monday morning kicking people out and rain started coming down in buckets later on while we were waiting for a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Last time I camped (think it was 2006) the bastards came around bursting people's unopened cans with these big poles with spikes on the end of them on the Monday morning. They were getting loads of abuse from people.

The cheer that went up when one of them pierced a can and it exploded all over him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

So, I'm in work now and cant check, but wjat other festivals are around that weekend in UK/ Europe? that should give us the majority of the line up.

I know Pukkelpop is usually that weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/wellies-at-the-ready-oxegen-is-back-and-elton-john-may-take-centre-stage-3372606.html

Pretty much confirmed.....and with Elton, and Fleetwood mac rumoured, its good to see theyre trying to gear themselves towards music rather than the annual day in a field for scumbags to fight each other.

Advertisement