Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect Fees

Options
  • 15-09-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Can anybody advise on where I could find the current rates for architects?

I'm planning to renovate a house in the next few months. It'll be a complete job through the house and a double extension to the rear. I'm looking for an architect who will work with us in the design, help with any planning and also project manage the build.

I've met with a few architects who all meet our needs, but they all vary greatly in price. Some have quoted a fee of 5%, other quote 6-8% and another has come in at 11% of the total build cost. There are some who don't work on a percentage basis and instead just quote a specific fee. The most recent rates from RIAI I can find date back to 2007. I know the industry has changed dramatically since then, so want to be sure I'm getting value for money.

What is a fair percentage in the current climate, and is there any benefit to working to a specific quote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

An Engineer/Architect last year all inclusive in South West area (percolation test, road report, survey, design Drawings and application) was €3500. What you seem to be looking for is a project manager. That is a different thing altogether. Maybe you might be better to get a contractor to build and an Engineer/Architect to do the design drawings. The Engineer will check work at different stages. If I were you I would not entertain payment as a percentage of the build:eek::confused:. Get a price for the design and drawing. I'm working on my own house at the moment and nobody comes in the gate without giving a price first:cool:.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you need three services..

architect to design and obtain planning
    engineer to advise on works to existing and new structural issues
    and a building contractor to project manage and build the design.

thats the reason you may feel the prices are high.
    if you have obtained at least three quotes, you already should have a fair idea of what the out lay should be... from here you should look for previous client recommendation eetc

you may find an architectural or engineering office that could provide both of the first two services..... as for the last service are you confusing "contract administration" with "project management"?? you wont get many architects / engineers who will hire subcontractors, order concrete etc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

MaxGenius wrote: »
    I know the industry has changed dramatically since then, so want to be sure I'm getting value for money.

Building costs have also changed dramatically, so an architect charging 10% in 2012, is in fact probably taking a 40% fee reduction on the 10% fee charged in 2007.

More on fees later! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Defining scope of services is a extremely difficult with a new domestic client, especially with a Reno as there is always unknown issues/delays/ extras and time wasted on work that gets changed due to either cost or preference. In some ways I think a renovation/ extension job is more onerous and time consuming than a new build

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

MaxGenius wrote: »
    The most recent rates from RIAI I can find date back to 2007.

You will not find any rates from the RIAI as it is anti-competitive to produce such a thing.

I would suggest somewhere between 8% and 10% would be typical for the type of project you are describing for an architect to provide a full (and proper) service.

You should establish with each architect exactly what services they will be providing you with (like how often, typically, would they visit site?) and what exactly they will be charging you a % of - will it be simply on the basis of the building cost or will kitchens, sanitary ware, etc., all be lumped in and a % fee charged on those?

Most important thing is to get previous client references (and as many of them as you can).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 MaxGenius

Thanks for all your replies.

I guess it means checking out what each architect is offering and reviewing each of their work. I suppose I'm just trying to establish what is a genuine good value quote without compromising on quality.
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    you need three services..

architect to design and obtain planning
    engineer to advise on works to existing and new structural issues
    and a building contractor to project manage and build the design.

thats the reason you may feel the prices are high.
    if you have obtained at least three quotes, you already should have a fair idea of what the out lay should be... from here you should look for previous client recommendation eetc

you may find an architectural or engineering office that could provide both of the first two services..... as for the last service are you confusing "contract administration" with "project management"?? you wont get many architects / engineers who will hire subcontractors, order concrete etc

From speaking to some architects, I got the impression they look after this stuff or at least manage/appoint someone who will. Would you recommend using an architect solely for design and planning and get someone else to project manage?

Thanks again for the replies. It's one of those decisions you want to get right.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

at this level of project (domestic renovation) it would be unusual for the supervising architect / engineer to be the project manager. It would be usual that there would be a main building contractor who would manage the project from a build point of view.

the architect / engineer may administer the contract in that they will supervise work and be available for on going discussion regarding changes etc. They will also administer the financial side of things be signing off stage payments etc.
    But while they may call this 'project management' from their point of view, it isnt really. The guy who does the hiring of subcontractors, ordering of materials etc is the building contractor and as such is the 'project manager'.
    you should get your architects to clarify these points with you.

If the supervising architect is the main hirer, material specifier and orderer etc (basically the main contractor) then they have a financial interest in the build cost and i would be worried that their 'client representation' line would become blurry.

There are some companies out there who offer a "design and build" service, so if it is one of these companies i would highly advise you to engage an independent professional at build stage to supervise the construction on your behalf.

Advertisement