Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFXI - are people still playing this game?

• 15-09-2012 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

Is FFXI still active with many players and would anyone recommend it?

Ive checked out gameplay and graphics on you tube and wouldnt mind trying this game out for couple of months...just not sure if there would be enough players to quest with or if the game will be terminated soon due to FFXIV re-boot.

Would be great to get a reply from someone whos still actually playing the game or has a mate playing it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Not really an answer to your question, but myself and a mate were thinking of starting into this, we've bought copies of the game and were going to start into it after our exams in October, I'm sure it'd be the more the merrier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Yea man actually that would be great. From what ive read online finding newbie players to team up with is near impossible...but also the game has been changed so much that it is now possible to kinda solo, at least exp is way easier to get now.

If anyone else has an interest in teaming up with us, post on this thread. Might yet be possible to get a newbie group together in FFXI this late in its cycle!!! Same time if the world is totally dead and unplayable, no harm, can just cancel the monthly fee. Im curious to see what its like before its gone for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I may be up for this also?

Console or PC?

Ill need to to do some research on it but i dont think it matters what system you play it on, we just have to pick the same server. Ive noticed the Sylph server mentioned on a few forums.

Ill probably play it on PC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it getting a ps3 release?

• Advertisement

Bought FFXIV there in Smyths for €4.99 if this would suit people better?

Is it getting a ps3 release?

Na, its just on xbox 360 or PC. Doesn't matter which platform, players using either can meet up, long as they choose the same server.
    RedXIV wrote: »
    Bought FFXIV there in Smyths for €4.99 if this would suit people better?

Think XIV is still meant to be a bit broken. I just wanted to give XI a go before they take it off-line. There is a new expansion called Seekers of Adoulin coming out next year. Im guessing thats a last present to the die hard community and maybe a year after that it will go off-line...just a guess.

Also i dont have a PC that could handle XIV at a smooth frame rate :P

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

FFXI is still going strong. I have just come back to it myself after a 2 year break.

The game has changed a lot in the last 3 or so years, level cap was 75 it's now 99 and leveling is now very quick. Loads of old content to do and tonnes of new, too.
    Gil (in-game currency) is now much easier to make. No sign of this game dying anytime soon, it's still making SE a decent profit.

Razleavy wrote: »
    FFXI is still going strong. I have just come back to it myself after a 2 year break.

Did you start a new character from level 1? Its getting a low level party together that worries me a bit. Ill play the free month that came with the game and quit after that if i cant find anyone to party up with. Really wish i played this game back in the day...still wanna check out the world though.

Any advise for a Level 1 character starting off would be appreciated ;)

carbonkid wrote: »
    Did you start a new character from level 1? Its getting a low level party together that worries me a bit. Ill play the free month that came with the game and quit after that if i cant find anyone to party up with. Really wish i played this game back in the day...still wanna check out the world though.

Tomorrow a good night to start?

• Advertisement

Tomorrow a good night to start?

I was thinking starting after Monday 22nd of this month...theres a big project in work and its due for that date. Figure Vana'diel would a good place to spend some of (probably all of) my downtime. Maybe meet up the Friday of that week to start questing? Can also PM me for details ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

I'm still up for this too!

Did ye get the version with all of the expansions?

I'm still up for this too!

Did ye get the version with all of the expansions?

I got the 2008 version from amazon. It has all four of the main expansions but not some of the later add-ons. When are you thinking of starting?...keep in mind you'll need a few days to install the game, updates and do a few solo quests before meeting up. You mentioned something about your mate been up for it as well. That would make 5 of us so far ^___^

I got the 2008 version from amazon. It has all four of the main expansions but not some of the later add-ons. When are you thinking of starting?...keep in mind you'll need a few days to install the game, updates and do a few solo quests before meeting up. You mentioned something about your mate been up for it as well. That would make 5 of us so far ^___^

better order the updated version so :D

Will look into solo quests between now and then so!

better order the updated version so :D

Will look into solo quests between now and then so!

I just got the 2008 version cause it was the first one i seen on amazon. If you just have the main game, just play that for a while before getting any of the expansions or add-ons. Let us know how you get on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Sorry for the delay, no I just reactivated my character. I won't lie it will probably be tough to get a lower level parties, but it's now much easier to solo, etc.

Some handy sites are http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page , http://www.ffxiah.com/ and http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/111484-New-or-Returning-Players-Discussion-2-SoA-Homeless-Veterans-Edition

As for advice... stick with it, more than likely it will be tough at the start, but when you can start exping in Abyssea you're sorted. Silly fast leveling and the currency in their can be converted in "real" in-game currency. There seems to be a group of ye starting so just make sure you are on the same sever and it will be much more enjoyable and easier, just don't get addicted :P

Be warned, anyone looking to start this. I've been installing stuff for over 8 hours trying to get online. Haven't even created a character yet!

Razleavy wrote: »
    As for advice... stick with it, more than likely it will be tough at the start, but when you can start exping in Abyssea you're sorted.

Thanks for the advise and links. Alot of what ive read online is since Abyssea leveling up has becoming really easy, and you only need a couple or party members for even the bosses.
    Be warned, anyone looking to start this. I've been installing stuff for over 8 hours trying to get online. Haven't even created a character yet!

Ive installed the game but not gone through all the sign up stuff. Plan to leave the updates download over night. Will hopefully be online tomorrow evening ^____^

Advertisement