Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free-standing microphone recommendations

• 15-09-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

bit of a question from left-field since it's about hardware rather than gaming per-se, but can anyone recommend a decent free-standing (i.e. NOT headphone-mounted) microphone for PC gaming?

I've got a creative labs X-Fi platinum sound-card with 5.25" bay break-out box on the front so no shortage of means & ways to plug a cable in. As for headphones, I've already got a very, very nice pair of Sony beasties I sometimes use when not using the 5.1 digital surround set-up, so I really, really don't want another headset (in case the first comment about not wanting headset-mounted mics was missed ... )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

ED E wrote: »
    Budget?

I'm not averse to spending pennies on a mic if it's good quality and will stand me in good stead for several years; but suggesting a €300 microphone is a little silly too.

But for the sake of simplicity; I'll say ideally south of €100; I'll entertain suggestions higher, to about €150 for something particularly notable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I use 16065.png argos 20 quid.

With Sennheiser headphones, absolutley swear by them.

Desktop mic and decent headphones, headsets are not as good as dedicated headphones or decent speakers imo. using the above for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

There are even cheaper ones, work just as well. Maplins do them if you're close to one. Got one there about 5 years ago for 3 euro and it's still going.

Advertisement