Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 men die after falling into Slurry Tank

• 15-09-2012 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭

Reports circulating that one of the 3 men after falling into a slurry Tank in Co Down is Nevin Spence Ulster and Irish Rugby player. The other 2 are his dad and brother. What a tragedy for their family. coupled with Brian Og Maguire Fermanagh GAA player losing his life in a work place accident midweek.

2 Tragic incidents.

RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Already a thread on this.......................

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056755941

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

An awful tragedy.

My condolences to the bereaved.

Why the **** has a slurry tank that is impossible to drown in not been invented? How about if the tank had criss-crossed bars that would prevent people from being submerged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Three members of one family; and a fourth hospitalised, I think?

How awful.

I've always been paranoid about slurry tanks ; shocking how one small error can cause something like this; RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

RIP nevin spence, great ulsterman and could have been a star for ireland :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭rebelccfc

Bad sh1t

Asshole.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

An awful tragedy.

My condolences to the bereaved.

Why the **** has a slurry tank that is impossible to drown in not been invented? How about if the tank had criss-crossed bars that would prevent people from being submerged?
    The fumes alone would be enough to kill you if the crust was broken.
    Horrible way to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

later12 wrote: »
    I've always been paranoid about slurry tanks ; shocking how one small error can cause something like this; RIP

It seems like such a common accident and yet it still happens. Why don't they have a steel mesh over them or a lattice of bars within that would prevent people from drowning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

rebelccfc wrote: »
    Asshole.

RIP

Unfortunate choice of words

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

John Doe1 wrote: »
    RIP nevin spence, great ulsterman and could have been a star for ireland :(
    Three people died.

Bad sh1t

Idiot...

• Advertisement

Three people died.

Yes I know, whats your point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Yes I know, whats your point?
    My point is fairly ****ing obvious in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Bad sh1t

Its quite funny....
    I can post such a disgusting comment about someone dying (Ie wacker) and its ok. but if I dare call anyone a wanker or what ever on boards... i'd get banned.

My point is fairly ****ing obvious in fairness.

Of course i care that the other family members died, its pretty implicit:rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Horrible. RIP..

question: do people in such instances die of drowning or more the sheer overwhelming pungentness of it all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Its quite funny....
    I can post such a disgusting comment about someone dying (Ie wacker) and its ok. but if I dare call anyone a wanker or what ever on boards... i'd get banned.

In other words, you want to offend me but dont want to get banned for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Isn't there anyway way to minimize the risk of this happening? Its not the first incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Always warned of the danger as a kid, the fumes would kill you instantly when you went in.
    They would definitely knock you out, at least the chaos didn't suffer. Very sad, RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

RIP

How do 3 people fall in to a slurry tank? Often hear of 1 person slipping in but 3..

Bad sh1t

The difference is, to me at least, it is probably that friends or family will read this - so not too nice
    That said I am all for laughs at a funeral, bt between friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Yea its true. Heard it from one of their neighbours. His sister is being treated for fume inhalation but is well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Three people died.

People might feel as if they know Nevin from rugby though and know how bright his future would have been so its a bit more personal regards to him perhaps while still not showing any disrespect to his brother and father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Aidric wrote: »
    RIP

How do 3 people fall in to a slurry tank? Often hear of 1 person slipping in but 3..

From what I heard one brother fell in and another brother went in after him. The father jumped in to try and save the two sons. One brother came around but died later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

In other words, you want to offend me but dont want to get banned for it

Oh i was making an example about how boards have some fucked up rules.

But being honest, I'd have no issue offending you too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

RIP

Probably one fell in and the other 2 fell in trying to pull the 1st out.

Tragic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

What an absolutely horrible tragedy. That's so sad.

Wow, it's on Wiki already (dont have huge knowledge on rugby so wiki'd it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

RIP

Well if you saw your family member fall in you're not going to just stare at them. Probably one fell in and others went to try and save the person.

The methane would be very noxious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Horrible. RIP..

question: do people in such instances die of drowning or more the sheer overwhelming pungentness of it all?

+1 on this. I have heard of so many death connected with slurry tanks but I don't know why they are so dangerous.

It is a horrific tragedy. Are they any confirmed reports of who has died?

EDIT: Talk about fcuking irony...

http://www.independent.ie/farming/theres-no-place-to-hide-from-dangerous-slurry-gases-173191.html
    DURING agitation of slurry, there is no such thing as a safe place anywhere in the vicinity of the tank.
    Last year, research was carried out into this issue by the Northern Ireland Research Institute at Hillsborough and Teagasc Grange, commissioned by the Health and Safety Executive of Northern Ireland and the Health and Safety Authority of Ireland. The results are reported in the May/June issue of the Teagasc magazine Today's Farm.

Slurry gases have the potential to kill in seconds. Evacuation of buildings and ventilation by air movement before agitating are crucial, say the researchers.

Never enter a slurry tank or any confined space where there is even the smallest quantity of organic material. Fermentation can produce slurry gases such as hydrogen sulphide, carbon dioxide, methane, ammonia or a range of other gases. Most of these gases are heavier than air and exclude oxygen.

Suffocation or poisoning can occur in an instant. Rescue is not possible as a full set of breathing apparatus is needed to make an attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Bad sh1t

Bollix.

What a terrible tragic accident :( thoughts & prayers with the family. RIP.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Always warned of the danger as a kid, the fumes would kill you instantly when you went in.

that's all I need to know :/ was thinking the realization I'd be about to be submerged in such a noxious concoction would kill me before I even broke the surface.

RIP - if it's that common, safeguards already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Horrible. RIP..

RIP

A dreadful tragedy.

Slurry tanks produce several poisonous gases, the worst of which is hydrogen sulphide. At large concentrations it will kill very rapidly.

Edited to add: Slurry tank gas info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Such a way to go, drowning in pig****, ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

What a tragedy for the family a father and his two sons to die like that. RIP to The three men and thoughts and prayers to their family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

WumBuster wrote: »

Compassion is obviously not your strong point. Three members of a family are dead,try remember that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

is it not possible to design them in such a way that theres an emergency release button on the outside which would open the bottom of it and eject the contents in 60 seconds?

RIP.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Oh, you're ****ing hilarious... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

is it not possible to design them in such a way that theres an emergency release button on the outside which would open the bottom of it and eject the contents in 60 seconds?

RIP.

60 seconds is 59 too late :(

RIP Nevin Spence, and of course his father and brother. I hope his sister pull through, devastated for the family that remain; a real tragedy.

RIP.

Not really possible, most of these are underground and huge (could be a few hundred thousands gallons on a large farm). and most are pretty inaccessible.
    Also it is often the gasses that are the problem. Releasing the slurry would expel all the gasses at once, making the situation a lot worse.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

From what I heard one brother fell in and another brother went in after him. The father jumped in to try and save the two sons. One brother came around but died later.

That's very sad, poor family :(

• Advertisement

RIP.

To where though, it's a tank under the ground

For those not in the know, when cows are indoors for the winter they stay in a 'slated house', the slabs of concrete are slated, ie have slits in them so that their waste will fall down into a tank
    Reasons for this are twofold, obviously the cattle aren't stuck in their waste, secondly their waste is used as fertilizer and spread on the fields

Unfortunately, this would usually be done by now but die to a lot of wet weather there's still a lot of slurry in the tanks (you can't spread in wet weather as it can run off into streams).
    Tanks are pretty much a swimming pool with months worth of ****, incredibly dangerous, another illustration of how dangerous farming can be. Accidents will often occour unfortunately

RIP.

http://www.teagasc.ie/newsletters/safety/safeslurryhandling.asp
    Slurry - The Facts
    Toxic gases such as Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S), Carbon Dioxide ( CO2), Ammonia and Methane are produced by bacteria during the decomposition of slurry.
    Hydrogen Sulphide gas is poisonous to humans and animals. It is
    Fatal in seconds, one breath is enough

Heavier than air and is found at ground level in confined areas particularly on calm days,
    Smells like rotten eggs, but high concentrations can't be smelled,

Never knew how dangerous it was... Don't understand enough though about farmers and their use. I wonder if they could be made safer still.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Cop on.
    Seriously just grow up or at least stop posting messages like that.
    Would you say the same if it was your family?

To where though, it's a tank under the ground

For those not in the know, when cows are indoors for the winter they stay in a 'slated house', the slabs of concrete are slated, ie have slits in them so that their waste will fall down into a tank
    Reasons for this are twofold, obviously the cattle aren't stuck in their waste,
    secondly their waste is used as fertilizer and spread on the fields

Unfortunately, this would usually be done by now but die to a lot of wet weather there's still a lot of slurry in the tanks (you can't spread in wet weather as it can run off into streams).
    Tanks are pretty much a swimming pool with months worth of ****, incredibly dangerous, another illustration of how dangerous farming can be. Accidents will often occour unfortunately

What maintenance does a farmer need to do with a slurry tank? How is the truck filled up when spreading slurry around the land?

EDIT: Sorry another question - why are the fumes of the slurry tank not poisonous to the animals above is? Is it because the crust hasn't been broken on what is below?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Not really possible, most of these are underground and huge (could be a few hundred thousands gallons on a large farm). and most are pretty inaccessible.
    Also it is often the gasses that are the problem. Releasing the slurry would expel all the gasses at once, making the situation a lot worse.

RIP

Oh, I thought 'slurry tank' was the truck/lorry that put the slurry onto the field, didn't realise it could also refer to the container in which it is stored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 hightimes1

Thats horrible, I nearly drowned in a slurry pit when i was around 5 or 6, wasnt that fun to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

That's awful news another Irish talent lost to a horrible tragedy
    Rip to him and his family members who lost their life aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

So sad. I heard on Moncrieff's farming section the other week that farmers make up ~40% of workplace deaths despite being ~12% of the work force. Look after yourselves lads and lasses.

RIP.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    What maintenance does a farmer need to do with a slurry tank? How is the truck filled up when spreading slurry around the land?

Before spreading, the tank would need agitating, i.e. stirring it up. This is the dangerous part, because any built up gasses would be released. The tanker/truck has a hose which literally just sucks up the slurry. A pump can also be used in addition with a long hose to pump it straight to the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

I wonder why there is no law to maybe make all people working with slurry tanks or near them to wear gas masks or is this impractical for some reason?

RIP to the 3

• Advertisement
Advertisement